Audi TT Forum banner

FAQ - Failing Window regulator

151K views 944 replies 300 participants last post by  mdickens98 
#1 ·
Well my passenger side window has just gone so that will be both in less than four years, it's a joke shit parts.

My father in laws bug 206 150k on the clock, six years older than TT and no issues at all

Audi really need to be aware of this so can all those who have had this issue please post below I am going to war on this

#3 ·
wow sounds very bad indeed. for future reference, (hoping it wont ever happen to me) can you post how to wind the window up manually. Very handy to know in the winter.

Ps. does this happen in both Coupe and Roadster?

#4 ·
Not sure but could have saved me £300, In at Southampton Audi and they are going to ask Audi UK for a contribution as they have seen quite a few as well :twisted:

#6 ·
robokn said:
Audi really need to be aware of this so can all those who have had this issue please post below I am going to war on this
Audi are aware of it. That's why they have a "named component" warranty option that covers everything but the window regulator. They're aware, they obviously just can't be arsed to fix what is an obvious design flaw.

CapoGT said:
Ps. does this happen in both Coupe and Roadster?
Yes. They both have the same window mechanism.

#7 ·
The motor had burned out as well so the bill now comes to £580 BUT Audi have contributed so it comes out at £330

#9 ·
I have the same problem in passenger window, in a 3,5 years old TT.
It's a shame!!!! :x
Audi Quality?¿? :lol:
And they don't fix it for free, but It's a common fault...?
I think it will be my last Audi for sure.

#11 ·
robokn said:
The motor had burned out as well so the bill now comes to £580 BUT Audi have contributed so it comes out at £330
IMO if its a fault that Audi recognise that a part is not as good as it should be, then they should replace FREE of charge or recall as this could be potentially a very embarrassing situation, especially if you get caught in the rain.

Then again from past experiences Audi are always slow to sort out issues.

#12 ·
kevin34 said:
I have the same problem in passenger window, in a 3,5 years old TT.
It's a shame!!!! :x
Audi Quality?¿? :lol:
And they don't fix it for free, but It's a common fault...?
I think it will be my last Audi for sure.
Some might say it's a bit of a racket. Part with known fault, expensive to replace due to having to strip the doors = PROFIT!

I don't understand the problem though, other than somehow the mechanism can end up chewing itself or the wiring to bits. My last car was over a decade old when I traded it in and had ZERO problems. The rest of the car industry seems to have had reliable and faultless electric windows sewn up for YEARS.

#13 ·
robokn said:
Mine went a few months back, but my bill was £180 fitted by local indy garage (Lion Garage Leicester) including parts and labour - so just goes to show how much the dealers rip you off !

#14 ·
CapoGT said:
wow sounds very bad indeed. for future reference, (hoping it wont ever happen to me) can you post how to wind the window up manually. Very handy to know in the winter.
I second that, as I had one of mine replaced under warranty in the first year of of ownership.

#15 ·
I had drivers side regulator break

My local garage said the drainage holes in the door get blocked from the wax the car gets covered in from factory

Common on many VAG cars

The wire fractures round the lower pulleys and can't be wound backwards once the window is dropped

It's the only thing my 56 plate has had go wrong (fingers crossed bar a tyre issue )

:)

#17 ·
Mine stuck down also, managed to get the door panel off (with great difficulty) and get it pushed up temporarily

Have booked it in with Audi dealership in january who are going to ask Audi UK to look into contributing to the cost
(is that an acknowledgement that they accept there IS some design fault) .. will post again when work is done :roll:

#18 ·
My right side went last spring and the left a couple of month later, but the Audi repair shop here in Sweden changed it for free, or to be exact, Audi Sweden took 80% of the cost and the shop took the last 20% so i didn't have to pay anything.

Yes this most be a construction fault. But i'm happy that i didn't have to pay anything even the car was 3 years old... this time

#19 ·
Hi Rob!

Both of my window regulator's failed within the space of a week on my TT and JUST inside (by a week believe it or not!)warranty of three years - shit parts indeed. And how VERY inconvenient it is to when these things fail. Mine is documented elsewhere on here as the first happened nearly 200 miles from home (I'd been to the TT Shop for some work) and I had to come up three motorways with the glass inside the door - couldn't hear myself think and it was raining for some of the journey. Then the car had to sit all weekend on my drive til I could get it booked in. Not acceptable for what we have to pay for this car.
But that's not the end of the window saga as now, in my S5, I've just had both window regulators changed under warranty again about a month ago - Audi citing them as a known fault. To make matters worse, according to the history, my car has had one window regulator replaced before i even bought the car! :eek: :x What is most annoying is the amount of time taken for the dealers to discuss the warranty issue and whether they will make you contribute toward it.
:wink:
Cheers, Mark

#20 ·
As a 'new' owner of a four year old MK2 (purchased last Nov), this has just happened to me too - drivers side.

Audi Sheffield seemed to want to help, but I'd need to wait about a week before they'd look at it (and courtesy cars were booked up until well into Jan), a local, established and trusted auto electrician, took it in the same day, rung me a few hours later with a full explanation of the problem (again window regulator), gave me a quote of around £200 all in.

Picked up the following day at a cost of £220 (inc VAT), back to being a happy TT bunny again!

#23 ·
DPG said:
Happened in my MK1, I had to have both sides replaced.

Cant believe Audi havent sorted it out yet.

Quality brand my arse
EDIT: This also happened in my MK4 Golf TDi so it must be a VAG thing.
UPDATE

Finally put my car into Audi dealership (drivers window having gone)

Invoice came to over £300 .. thats with parts and 2 hours labour :x

Thats with Audi UK paying half the £99 part

If I had a Skoda I would not expect this part to go so WHY should it be accepted on a 'supposedly' quality make of car.. it's just not on, and Audi OF COURSE claim to have no knowledge of it being a regular fault on the TT

Having had the Mk1 and now this Mk2 and had aLL the common faults PLUS many many more I have had ENOUGH .. I have shown this brand more than enough loyalty . .they are of SH*TE BUILD if I'm honest .. happy .. I AM NOT :cry:

#24 ·
Late last night my driver side window regulator failed (I didn't know what the problem was at the time) I took my TT to Audi Lincoln first thing and they had a look at my car straight away. The lady came back and said if it was the window regulator it would cost £283!!!!! Whilst waiting for the prognosis I googled "window regulator" and came across this forum which said it was a design fault. When the lady came and confirmed it was the window regulator I questioned the fact that Audi should be paying for the repair and mentioned the fact there are many forums on this subject as it's a design fault. The lady came back a few minutes later and said they would do it for £79 labour included (70% off). Fantastic that the lady at Audi got the cost down but on reflection as this is a design fault we shouldn't be paying, end of. Especially in the current climate, another recession looming etc. I was looking for the Audi head office email address to tell them of my concerns and objection to having to pay anything. Does anyone know their email address? And thank you for this forum, else I wouldn't of known about the design fault, that prompted me to ask about Audi paying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.