Audi TT Forum banner

JonnyC TTRS build.. From the beginning!!..

60K views 536 replies 101 participants last post by  jaybyme 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Ok, so this is probably a little bit late to start a build thread on here, but better late than never I guess!! I think I had something on here a while ago, but it disappeared some how.. Anyways..

Ill update from the start, to where the car currently sits now, with some major changes about to happen in the near future its probably a good time to get going!!

So here goes.. (ill keep it short and sweet!)

2009 Audi TTRS in Phantom Black..

Started work with a custom carbon intake.. At the time there was nothing else available..

Next up was a full DP back Milltek Exhaust..

And some PIAA Xenon bulbs.. Expensive but work amazing, the quality of light is just outstanding!!

Then it was back to the appearance a little.. So time for some arch mods to make way for some H&R Coils and some 15/20mm spacers front and rear!!

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Which resulted in this..

After all that, I decided that the Milltek wasn't quite doing it for me, so got some new parts

And ended up with this as a rear section!

And some comparison shots.. Spot the difference lol..

So at this point I was running with OEM software, OEM intake and Straight pipe exhaust. I then decided it was about time for a dyno to base line the car with these mods!

360hp / 370tq

And then back it up at the track..

Not bad from essentialy a stock car!.. I was pretty impressed.. But needed more, and the launches could be better with the addition of a WOT Box, something that I had installed on my previous 2.0T FSI S3..

And then all hidden in the fuse panel.. Totally stealth!

Well, kind of stealth!! lol..

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o304 ... G_0306.mp4

Made a bit of a mess..

Now it was time for some more mods.. Starting with H&R anti roll bars front and rear..

Custom solid shift bushings

And a gutted stock Audi Downpipe..

We then went on to improve a little on the flow of the stock downpipe with some extra welding work..

Before

After

Now the exhaust is totally catless, and no silencers.. Looks pretty cool, and sounded insane!!!

Then it was onto the Haldex.. Nice new remote Gen 4 controller installed

And poly bushed front end too..

Along with a totally solid CNC lower engine mount

And some home made stealth tail pipes.. From Audi they cost something stupid!

After all that.. It was time to go back to the track.. Remember, still OEM software!

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o304 ... G_0091.mp4

So a nice little improvement over the last time.. Launch helped a lot, and the suspension and Haldex too!!

Now some new wheels and rubber!!

Custom made Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.3 in a 18x10 ET45 fitted with 265/35 Toyo R888's

And a comparison from stock side to side!

Now it was time to change out that abortion of an intake that I had made.. Far too much hot air being sucked into the engine bay, and with no intake available for the TTRS at that point, I went with a PiperCross filter in the stock Audi Airbox, with some little tweaks in the form of a cold air feed and heat protection..

And blacked out the front and rear too..

Which brought me around to GTI International 2010..

Now with Stage 1 software.. Ran a pretty good time!!

But resulted in a roasted clutch and this..

Too much grip I think! haha..

So then, some new summer wheels, which changed the look a little of the car!!

And the first prototype intake from ITG was installed..

And then some tasty brakes!!!

Which also looked pretty nice on the car too

So that brought me round to the early part of summer 2011, where I felt the car needed a bit of a change.. So opted for a Frozen Grey wrap!

Then did the trip to Worthersee, which was pretty epic too!

By which time the new race inspired floating discs were ready to install..

Time for a bit of a bigger turbo, thanks to Owen Developments, who played with the stock turbo, to achieve just under 500hp!

And a dual nozzle AEM Water / Methanol injection kit too..

Complimented by the new Carbon ITG intake kit that I still have today.. Looks beautiful!!

Now it was time for GTI International 2011.. And the car ran ok, but with some problems that we would discover after the event, meant the times were a little slower than expected..

Still the fastest TTRS currently at a 11.61 1/4 mile

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o304 ... t=1162.mp4

I had always wanted some nice Recaro Pole position seats in the car, and an opertunity came round that I just couldn't turn down.. The best seats out there in my opinion and look great too!!

So then it was time for some serious work..

I wanted to future proof the engine for BIG power.. So that meant built internals, and some other tricky bits too.. Non of which were available, so parts from my engine were sent away to the US to be reverse engineered by CP Racing Pistons and Integrated Engineering for the rods!

Ill let the pictures do the talking here..

All of that resulted in the following engine spec

* Ported/Flowed/Polished + CC'd Head Work
* Super Finished 2.5T FSI Crank
* 10.0:1 Compression CP +1mm Race Pistons
* Super Finished 'Race' CP wrist pins
* Integrated Engineering Forged Connecting Rods
* ARP Rod Bolts
* Calico Big End Bearings
* ARP Head Stud Conversion

All lovingly put together by the same engine builder responsible for the Skoda UK Boneville World Record car!!.. Also, pretty cool I thought!! :)

Im planning to remove the head again, maybe next year at some point to have cams and Vave train kit fitted.. Just to help with being able to flow a little more and rev to 8500+rpm.. Both of which are being developed as we speak based on parts from my engine.

One cool thing about the build is the CC increase due to the head work and overbore..

Stock = 2,480.16cc
JC Engine = 2,541.88+cc

Doesn't sound much but thats over 60cc of extra displacement, which should really help things along!!

And now its time for something new..

Visited APR UK to test fit this little beauty!!..

So thats it for now.. Ill make sure that I keep this up to date from now on with all progress moving forward..

I for one am really excited about the future of the car, and can't wait to see how she goes with the new mods!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Very interesting thread. Done a few engine builds in my time so always interested to see the inside details.

Will that "little beauty" actually fit between engine and bulkhead? Obviously it does but it looks really, really big. I suppose now that people there are actually taking delivery of their RSs, there will be more and more good stuff coming from the US tuners.

#8 ·
stunning mate,vey jealous :mrgreen:

#11 ·
one of the best mk2s i have seen if you ever wanna give it away i got first dibs :p

#12 ·
MINI-TTGuy said:
Erm, was it not grand at the start lol?
:-o wash you mouth out with soap :p

#13 ·
Thats just stunning Jonny.
But I'm afaid the tech stuff goes right over my head.
What are those beautiful summer wheels you've got?

#15 ·
Great post m8 and good to see some of my old QS parts in such an awesome motor 8) 8) 8)

#17 ·
brittan said:
Very interesting thread. Done a few engine builds in my time so always interested to see the inside details.

Will that "little beauty" actually fit between engine and bulkhead? Obviously it does but it looks really, really big. I suppose now that people there are actually taking delivery of their RSs, there will be more and more good stuff coming from the US tuners.
US tuners will be raising the bar in terms of the tuning that's for certain.. And for fitment, yep, I have seen some of the CAD models and there extremely impressive!.. I'll post them up tomorrow when I get a chance :)

Mitchy said:
Good stuff Jonny, impressive project and development so far.

Keep it up, can't wait to see it finished. What's the overall aim? 650hp/1250kg?
Something like that would be achievable I think.. I really believe the car will be a total weapon with those vitals.. As it was most recently, with around 500hp and 1450kg it was FAST so with another 150hp and 200kg less.. Hmmmmm haha..

jamman said:
Find most Mk2s bland in the extreme not this build, great work :)
Thanks mate.. Much more to come.. I actually had forgotten what I had done to the car almost until tonight when I pulled together this thread :)

phope said:
Wow - I knew there was a lot of work done, but when you read it all, it's something else :)
Thought the same haha.. So many things i'd done and almost forgotten about!

caney said:
stunning mate,vey jealous :mrgreen:
Thanks mate.. See you at Pod soon??

Mule said:
Do me a big favour JC....Mirror that APR turbo and manifold.

So it turns the other way.... MUCH better!
Only in terms of heat management though surely?.. Could be interesting but for a bolt on application it wouldn't really be feasible due to having to basically redesign the whole boost tract and how it's all routed.. Plus exhaust too..

One of the really cool things about this kit is that, if you choose, you will be able to retain your stock intercooler, intake and downpipe back exhaust.. So super stealthy too!

I'll be changing off of that lot but some who like to keep things OEM will like that option..

In terms of heat management, the manifold being inconel will help.. But also, I'll be ceramic coating most of the parts too :)

grix said:
I think the best looking mk2 I've ever seen . Top notch :)
Cheers :)

jays_225 said:
one of the best mk2s i have seen if you ever wanna give it away i got first dibs :p
Haha, thanks mate but I doubt I'll probably be looking to sell for a long time.. Had the car for getting on to two years now and with the plans I have, it will most probably be two more at least! :)

hugy said:
MINI-TTGuy said:
Erm, was it not grand at the start lol?
:-o wash you mouth out with soap :p
Haha.. Kinda what I was thinking.. Your right though, a stock RS is a lovely car.. But I saw it as a base and could have never kept the thing standard for long ;)

The summer wheels were Team Dynamics Imolas finished in Satin Black.. 19x8.5 ET35 .. Took about 3months to be made.. Looked great!.. They are actually on a 700+HP Leon Cupra in Denmark now!!!

TTS_illa said:
serious...nice 8)
Cheers :) Keep checking back for updates..

bigsyd said:
Great post m8 and good to see some of my old QS parts in such an awesome motor 8) 8) 8)
Thanks mate!! Love the seats.. Have some more plans for them but I totally love them.. Compliment the interior perfectly :)

vwcheung said:
AWESOME mate
Cheers.. Catch up at an event at some point no doubt!

#18 ·
Apologies to those more knowledgeable than me which is likely everyone here but as a new TTRS owner and new cars as a hobby I would appreciate any insight that can be shared on any of the following;

1. Where does on start because each mod I read was very desirable and interesting...the number of ways to change the car [i.e. cosmetics interior and exterior, the brakes, the engine, the exhaust, etc.] confuses the situations...the knowledge needed is a little daunting to someone like me...

That said, I really do like the PIAA Xenon bulbs...what is involved in this upgrade in terms of cost, parts, etc.

2. What are we talking in terms of cost not specifically this build but for someone new to mods...this will likely be the stumbling block as I already have one major hobby -- one cinema with a custom engineered room -- and added a second costly hobby might not go down very well...

3. How long do you guys keep your cars and what do you do when it is time to move / shift them...is it like my home cinema that the dollars lost are simply part of the hobby and the fun...

Anyways, sorry for taking this off topic but this is incredible and would love to go down this route particularly since I love the stealth look...

Thanks,

Joel

PS. I also fear sourcing competent people to do the work as I am now struggling to even find someone to enable the full SDS capability in my RNS-E even though I live in a city of 5 million people...

PPS. I should point out -- to avoid any confusion -- I am NOT asking Jonny how much his build costs [other than the lights] but rather am inquiring in general terms what is involved in modifying a car recognizing that I am a novice who can easily get hooked on this.

#19 ·
I'm seriously impressed by the extent and the quality of these mods Jonny, and also surprised to have got so far into the thread before anyone asked about money! I know it's a bit rude, perhaps, but, as Kevin McCloud says at the end of every Grand Designs programme, Have you any idea what it's cost you, so far? Some of that kit looks mega, mega expensive! :eek:

#20 ·
Joelc said:
Apologies to those more knowledgeable than me which is likely everyone here but as a new TTRS owner and new cars as a hobby I would appreciate any insight that can be shared on any of the following;

1. Where does on start because each mod I read was very desirable and interesting...the number of ways to change the car [i.e. cosmetics interior and exterior, the brakes, the engine, the exhaust, etc.] confuses the situations...the knowledge needed is a little daunting to someone like me...

That said, I really do like the PIAA Xenon bulbs...what is involved in this upgrade in terms of cost, parts, etc.

2. What are we talking in terms of cost not specifically this build but for someone new to mods...this will likely be the stumbling block as I already have one major hobby -- one cinema with a custom engineered room -- and added a second costly hobby might not go down very well...

3. How long do you guys keep your cars and what do you do when it is time to move / shift them...is it like my home cinema that the dollars lost are simply part of the hobby and the fun...

Anyways, sorry for taking this off topic but this is incredible and would love to go down this route particularly since I love the stealth look...

Thanks,

Joel

PS. I also fear sourcing competent people to do the work as I am now struggling to even find someone to enable the full SDS capability in my RNS-E even though I live in a city of 5 million people...

PPS. I should point out -- to avoid any confusion -- I am NOT asking Jonny how much his build costs [other than the lights] but rather am inquiring in general terms what is involved in modifying a car recognizing that I am a novice who can easily get hooked on this.
Skys the limit for any tuning, I always like to keep below 5k and put money to my next car as I change often.
Cars also a hobby but I get board of the car so keep mods to a normal level.

best things for the TTRS out the box are.
1: 2nd CAT delete
2: Tyres, if it now comes with Toyo's
3: H &R ARB's
4: A good geo
5: a remap
6: pannel filter
7: Lower front bushes and engine mount bush.
8: RS29 pads

after that
9: IC
10: Full decat exhaust system
11: Lightweight battery
12: light weight wheels
13: better disks
14: stage 2 map.
14b: Haldex sport controler

then
15: light weight seats
16: rear seat delete

then
17: stage 3 500BHp Hybrid loba turbo
18: Wmi

then
19: Stage 4 Turbo in manafold and engine rebuild.
20: Carbon lighter parts

Jonny's car going to be epic, I think we all now know this, weight is going to be the biggest issue as that's neither cheap or easy on a car which in it's class as already quite light for a 4wd car.

#21 ·
talk-torque said:
I'm seriously impressed by the extent and the quality of these mods Jonny, and also surprised to have got so far into the thread before anyone asked about money! I know it's a bit rude, perhaps, but, as Kevin McCloud says at the end of every Grand Designs programme, Have you any idea what it's cost you, so far? Some of that kit looks mega, mega expensive! :eek:
Probably not as much as you would think.

Jonny's car has been a development test mule for a lot of these parts. More often than not, parts/services are offered heavily discounted or even free in some cases. Jonny also has a lot of motorsport contacts and a connection with his tuner which is always handy. I doubt he pays £80ph labour rates or full mapping costs :wink: For anyone else to copy Jonny paying full retail, the costs would be substantial, probably £20k+

The above is only me thinking out loud, I have no idea if Jonny has paid full retail on every item on his car but I would be extremely surprised had he had. When you look at it like that, he's the sensible 1 for getting in their first and testing these products.

Jonny, apologies if any of that is wrong but I've been there a couple of times myself as a testmule and Ive used that to my advantage when it comes to cost.

As to the lights, I believe at the time Jonny said they were expensive? Something like £750 if memory serves me right?

#22 ·
Jonny,
how much would it cost for a set of those Imolas in 19x9 et 46?
and how long ?

#23 ·
Awesome Jonny. That's one hell of a project :D

#25 ·
Mitchy said:
talk-torque said:

Jonny's car has been a development test mule for a lot of these parts. More often than not, parts/services are offered heavily discounted or even free in some cases. Jonny also has a lot of motorsport contacts and a connection with his tuner which is always handy. I doubt he pays £80ph labour rates or full mapping costs :wink: For anyone else to copy Jonny paying full retail, the costs would be substantial, probably £20k+

The above is only me thinking out loud, I have no idea if Jonny has paid full retail on every item on his car but I would be extremely surprised had he had. When you look at it like that, he's the sensible 1 for getting in their first and testing these products.

Jonny, apologies if any of that is wrong but I've been there a couple of times myself as a testmule and Ive used that to my advantage when it comes to cost.

As to the lights, I believe at the time Jonny said they were expensive? Something like £750 if memory serves me right?
How rude can you be !

Let the OP answer the question if he wants who are you to conjecture what he has or has not paid :( :evil:

#26 ·
jamman said:
Mitchy said:
talk-torque said:

How rude can you be !

Let the OP answer the question if he wants who are you to conjecture what he has or has not paid :( :evil:
Good god, you dont half jump on every post I make. Seriously bud, it's getting freaky now. Get yourself a life and hop along back to the Mk1 section, there's a good boy :-*

Testmule on products = discount, just common sense my friend, happens in all walks of life when testing and marketing products. The first generally reaps the rewards of not having to pay full retail price, I've been there and done it myself (It's the clever cookie approach :wink: ) A question was asked about costs, I guessed about £20k full retail. I doubt Jonny will take offence at my post (he's not anal) it's just stating the blindingly obvious.

Sit down and calm yourself, you'll be getting a name for yourself as my online stalker. Anyway, this is an informative thread so lets not degenerate it into a bitching session. If you have a problem with me and want to bitch then there's the PM function to vent your anger, you're welcome to use that.

Back on topic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.