Audi TT Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

TTRS or RS4 buying advice please

14K views 195 replies 35 participants last post by  Ikon66 
#1 ·
Hi, never owned an Audi before and new to the forum. Considering changing my 535d for a 2nd hand TTRS or RS4.

Just wondering if I went the TT route, what buying advice do you have:
- anything to be concerned about?
- what are the most desirable options?
- etc

Also, what MPG would I expect on:
- Motorway?
- Round town, A and B roads with stop start traffic on commute?

Anything else I should look out for?
Many thanks

#2 ·
Well I'd assume the tt to be much much better mpg then the rs4. My dad used to own a rs4, black with black tipped exhausts and black pack(all chrome black) and in my opinion was an amazing looking car, it had the bucket seats what set the car off inside and I havnt seen meant ttrs with the buckets and the note from the v8 was very nice. But given that it will never achieve the mpg of a ttrs also running cost would be a lot more (tax, petrol etc.) and there probly more dated than a ttrs too. I'd personally have a rs4 but il sure meany would disagree

#3 ·
Rs4 is no quicker than a 335i. They are slow. A remapped 335i will shit all over a rs4.

The rs4 is the sort of car you buy your wife to do shipping and pick up the kids in, purely so that when you have to drive it you still have some grunt and a nice soundtrack. It's a good all rounder but never set the world alight with its straight line performance

#4 ·
But not everything is about straightline speed - the OP might want a TTRS or RS4 for a variety of reasons.

Yes I agree the RS4 isn't the fastest in a straight line and yes a TTRS is much faster through the gears, but at the top end the RS4 comes into it's own. However, speed isn't everything. For me, the RS4 was the best all rounder money can buy. It sounds great, goes fast enough (most of the time), handles superbly, and is practical for those owners who need 4 proper seats and a big boot. It's never going to feel as fast as a turbo-engined car like the TTRS though.

OP - in terms of fuel economy I had my RS4 for 3 years and in that time averaged 24-25mpg on my daily commute, which dropped to high teens when really giving it the beans. The TTRS will be much better on fuel. However, the RS4 will be cheaper to buy. The cheapest TTRS's are still over £25k - around £22-24k should get you a pristine RS4, whilst around £20k will still get you a decent model. So the extra you spend on fuel could be offset by a reduced purchase cost.

Running costs also have to be borne in mind though. The RS4 is an older car so might need more things replacing. As far as depreciation goes though, the RS4 has taken most of the hit already.

Ultimately you need to drive both and see if one or the other particularly floats your boat. Then you'll know which one you want :p

#5 ·
I must confess to not understanding the need to essentially decide between a TT or A4; one is a small 2-seater (might as well be) coupe, the other a large family saloon/estate, I can't see how they both tick the same box!

If you need the passenger/loadspace with good performance and don't care about economy then the RS4; if you don't need the passenger/loadspace then TTRS, no-brainer.

Achievable economy obviously depends on how you drive the car, My RS returns anything from 22-26mpg around town, on a longer run I can average 30mpg or over 40mpg, depending on how heavy my right foot is!

#6 ·
SuperRS said:
Rs4 is no quicker than a 335i. They are slow. A remapped 335i will shit all over a rs4.

The rs4 is the sort of car you buy your wife to do shipping and pick up the kids in, purely so that when you have to drive it you still have some grunt and a nice soundtrack. It's a good all rounder but never set the world alight with its straight line performance
I think your wrong

#7 ·
I looked seriously into getting a 335i about a year back, but decied against it for several reasons.

The number of 4 door and estates are quite rare - most 335i seem to be in coupe form and these are not a motorsport variant just the top of the standard range petrol engine. Early ones up to 2009 are also thirsty and in some cases attract the higher tax bands. There are also a lot of 6 speed autos around (not a sporty box) and lots of SE models as opposed to M-sport trim.

I'm not sure the comparison between an E90 335i and an RS4 is really fair from a peering level. The RS4 is usually equated in a class above, more fairly compared with an M3 of similar vintage.

It's very true though that due to being a twin-turbo engine with stock low boost that the 335i is very tuneable, with huge gains available from SW only. The B7 model RS4 cars, not to mention the brand new RS4 lack this ability.

Having said that the OP question was TT RS vs RS4 and that is a tougher one to answer.

My TT RS give 36 mpg on longer runs, driven relatively gently, and whilst following the annoying gear-change hints on the dash....! Fuel economy is a very strong attribute of this little car.

You would not get more than 27 mpg out of a 335i or an RS4 though.

#9 ·
Patrizio72 said:
powerplay said:
I must confess to not understanding the need to essentially decide between a TT or A4; one is a small 2-seater (might as well be) coupe, the other a large family saloon/estate, I can't see how they both tick the same box!
[smiley=bomb.gif] Boom! hit the nail on the head there :lol:
True enough, many of us would not be be comparing these two cars as a finalised shortlist for a 2nd hand purchase, but the OP is, so it's worth trying to help as best as we can.

A lot of people are attracted in by the RS badge, and then realise that nowadays there are a bewildering range RS models right across the Audi vehicle line-up. It used to be just one RS car years ago, so naturally new buyers coming into the marque are confused.

If the OP is a family man and his children are small, then the TT Coupe actually makes a great second car in a family, as it does not preclude 2+2 passengers. In a family with only one car, the RS 4 avant would be a perfect all rounder.

I actually have in my household, a TTRS and an A4 B8 1.8T saloon. If we only had room/cause for 1 car, then an RS4 would be kind of perfect as it works out as a best-of-both worlds approach, albeit a bit compromised!

If the car is for a singleton, or as a second car just for the OP only commuting and such-like, then the TT RS every time, especially given the much better economy.

#10 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Not too sure what there is to "get". I like the look of both these cars and I'm considering one; simple as that.

Mainly drive a 535d which has 330bhp and 500lb so I want to replace it with something quick, fun and petrol (want a better noise). I also have a Skoda 4x4 estate turbo and use of a large 4x4 so not too fussed is I get a small car (TT) or larger one (RS4) - I just want one which is fun, has good traction and is reliable. If I buy a TT the Skoda stays, if I buy an RS4 the Skoda goes.

#12 ·
tjsafc said:
SuperRS said:

I think your wrong
Which bit?

My old cab rs4

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
SuperRS said:
tjsafc said:
SuperRS said:

I think your wrong
Which bit?

My old cab rs4

About a 335i beeing par on performance with a rs4, and showing me pictures of a rs4 isn't going to change my mind.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352991600.639809.jpg
our old rs4

Attachments

#14 ·
tjsafc said:
SuperRS said:
tjsafc said:
I think your wrong
Which bit?

My old cab rs4

About a 335i beeing par on performance with a rs4, and showing me pictures of a rs4 isn't going to change my mind. our old rs4
The rs4 is slower than the e46 m3 csl in a straight line, slower than a stage 2 plus TTS.

They only dyno 380hp the b7 rs4 and they weigh shit loads.

We raced the stage 2 TTRS vs the rs4 and there was a 15 car gap!

Infact I'd say a rs4 is about on par with a focus rs in a 30-130 dash.

#17 ·
TT RS will be 09 plate at the oldest, just make sure it has FSH usual checks. The OV09 ... Car's were early press cars.
Mag Ride is great, 19" wheels look best, Recaro's (not everyones thing but a must for me), BOSE is rubish. Nav if you want it I went with a Alpine unit later. Id look for the above anything else is just a bonus. The Audi configurator still shows all the options as well.

I get 25mpg round town stop start.
32 + on Motorway.

Ive had it upto 43.8mpg on a 30 mile trip, just to see what I could get. But you dont buy a TT RS to drive it like that.

#18 ·
tjsafc said:
So audi quote 40 bhp more than it actually is? And a Quattro rs4 can't beat a 335 or rs focus is a stright line? To be honest I don't know why I'm trying, I forgot that your the knowledge of all beeing on this forum
Why should Quattro help it beat fwd or rwd in a straight line rolling race? All the Quattro does in that scenario is sap power and add unnecessary weight.

And yes if you do your research you will see that the 4.2v8's always dyno'd low. Some people dyno as little as 360hp once the motor starts to carbon up.

#20 ·
Audi rs4 b7 stage 2 30-130 time in 19 secs
Stage 1 TTRS 30-130 time same day same event did it in 14 secs.

#21 ·
Patrizio72 said:
Im after a 5 door Audi car as my daily use car, i dont want anything too big though but it needs to have decent power, any recommendations? something easy to drive and good for long journeys too.
C63 AMG

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.