Audi TT Forum banner

RNS-E DVD 2013

4K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  chimp 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It is a "backup" 8) 8) copy of the latest navi version for the RNS-E.Provided you do not have any issues with backup copies then it should be a straight swap. The Speedcam reffers to a static info of speed cameras that are around highways, in order to warn you.

Hope that helps

#5 ·
I'm interested in getting the latest maps, although I'll probably buy the 'legit' version :) .

However, I had Hazzy Dayz do the SDS hack and I wondered if anyone knew whether or not this will be affected? I'm assuming the hack is essentially a firmware upgrade, but I'm not sure? Anyone know?

#6 ·
Critter10 said:
I'm interested in getting the latest maps, although I'll probably buy the 'legit' version :) .

However, I had Hazzy Dayz do the SDS hack and I wondered if anyone knew whether or not this will be affected? I'm assuming the hack is essentially a firmware upgrade, but I'm not sure? Anyone know?
Not 100% sure, but I saw in a post that the SDS hack is not affected. Better double check

#7 ·
leonttmk2 said:
Critter10 said:

Not 100% sure, but I saw in a post that the SDS hack is not affected. Better double check
Ooh ! I think it bu**ers the sds hack for sure, it did with mine last year . . .

Suggest you check with Hazzy days first and get the PRECISE sequence in writing perhaps otherwise you'll need the software downgrade etc etc redoing

#9 ·
If anyone contacts Hazy Dayz regarding previously installed SDS and upgrading to the latest Nav software could they please post the response on here.

I had Hazy install SDS a couple of years ago and I am also interested in the latest Nav software.

#10 ·
I had the SDS hack added to my new TT 2weeks ago.
I have the new 2013 DVD of course with software v 220 on the RNSE.

But something would not work - cannot remember what the problem was but the version had to be downgraded to 200 (like my old TT) and I am now running a backup of 2013 maps (with speed cameras) until the 220 has been sorted out - if that makes sense. I know that if I put the original 2013 disk in I will lose the SDS.

Re maps etc im not sure what I am losing now with 200 or will gain later with 220 though . . .

Hope that helps . ..

#12 ·
igotone said:
I'm pretty sure that the way it works is that if you want SDS, the firmware has to be downgraded to an earlier version before the SDS hack can be applied, and then you can reload the latest firmware.
Sounds familiar but the problem was it lost SDS when using the 'original' 2013 DVD so have stop using it until they come up with the next fix.

#14 ·
Patrizio72 said:
I'm a little confused, is this like bricking the unit?
No, it doesn't brick the head unit, it's just that the SDS hack and software need to be installed in a strict sequence, so once SDS is installed, loading more up to date maps will wipe the SDS feature - the navigation will still function, but without the voice commands. In short, SDS would need to be enabled again, which would involve downgrading the software to an earlier version, installing the SDS hack and then loading your new maps DVD.

SDS isn't available as a factory option on UK cars, although it is available in some other countries, so if we want SDS we have to go through this codge - up procedure.

#21 ·
brittan said:
However, like all the other POIs they just show up on the screen; there's no spoken warning for the speed cameras so the usefulness is limited.
Correct - this is what I have and cannot say its useful as there is no audible warning unlike my snooper

#22 ·
Anyone bought this for the RNS-E (the one that can take 32GB SD cards)? Does it work as expected?

#24 ·
So whats the SDS hack?

I have the RNSE without the media button, 2g model I think it is. I also have a legit 2011 maps nav disk but interested in getting a 2013 backup version off ebay. I assume the latest version will upgrade my software version of the RNSE unit.

I had also noticed the ones with additional speed camera info which sounds good but as others have said kinda limited if no audible warnings!

#25 ·
shurcomb said:
So whats the SDS hack?
It's bit of software which enables retro enabling of SDS ( Speech Dialogue System) which gives you far more voice control over various modes on the RNS-E head unit, particularly sat nav as it enables you to input routes by voice rather than the command dial.

For some strange reason SDS isn't available as a factory option on UK cars, although it can be factory specified in some other countries.

You can see a video of SDS being demo'd here....

http://www.vwcruise.com/Audi-SDS-High.html

#26 ·
Wallsendmag said:
I have one of these " Backup Discs" are you coming to Gaydon ? I'm sure you could have it for a small fee :wink: Actually I think mine may be 2012
Nope I'm not!

Sounds though like there isn't an issue with these I guess so I may need to buy one *cough* as a backup.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.