Audi TT Forum banner

Alloygator rim protectors

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Charlie 
#1 ·
I've had my QS about a month now and I've put some R32 wheels on it. After only five days I scuffed one pulling out of my drive. Owing to people parking on the opposite side of the road I have to turn sharp right when exiting my drive and the rear wheel got right on the edge of the raised curb then slipped down. To protect the rims until I can get the curbs dropped I've fitted a set of Alloygator wheel protectors. Not difficult to fit, but time consuming to get them to seat properly. I don't think they look too bad looking at them directly, but from the front they look a bit "jug ears". Took one off after a week because I wasn't happy with its fit and it had slightly fretted the paint in places. Once my curbs have been dropped I don't know if I'll keep them on, I like not having the worry of curbing an alloy but the fretting worries me. They are worth fitting if the rims are already badly scuffed but on undamaged wheels I'm not so sure. They do however come in a range of colours for anyone whose got coloured wheels.
Square on view

Side view

Close up

Top view

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi, There have been a few reports of them coming off at speed & damaging paintwork.The Company did pay up, on at least one occasion to repair the damage. Believe the success of fitment depends on wheel & tyre type.
Hoggy. :D

#5 ·
specky said:
Now then Mr Q ! Fancy bumpin into you on here. :lol: .

I sneaked a view at these tother day in car park...... :? ...... not for me them dude !

Got a set of 19's coming on Monday and tyres hav a small but helpful rim protector on them.

SPECKS 8)
Hello Andrew
I understand your viewpoint, as stated before I'm not sure if I'll keep them. Going to take one off this weekend and see what its been doing to the rim. Was at York drag strip a couple of weeks back and looking round the car park and the RWYB brigade I noticed that just about every car with alloys had damage.
On another note I heard you got your wheels and one was cracked.

#7 ·
Jug Ears are right....not to my taste at all...the rubber on my tyres sit out past the rim so its protected by the rubber... maybe look at getting tyres that do that? Those protectors just dont look right imo....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.