Audi TT Forum banner

New Haldex products from Canada

33K views 232 replies 59 participants last post by  matt31 
#1 ·
Might be useful to some one who wants 50/50 locked, quite hardcore solution IMHO

Customers requested it. A competitive solution to make their Quattro / Syncro Haldex LSC first generation system to work with more power delivered to the rear wheels! Our "Powertrack Insert" will retune the hydraulic system to increase the power delivered to the Haldex clutch instantly. The result is a power distribution 50/50 all time.
While drastically improving snow traction, loose surface traction and launch from stop, it remains smooth enough to be used as a daily driver vehicle. ESP/Traction control and ABS will still work as long you don't disengage it.

Facts:
Powertrack Insert used on OEM system: Power track Insert can be installed on any OEM controller as long they have the screw type stock insert. Looking from over the rear differential, on the controller, you will see a screw with 17mm head. If you have the 17mm head you can use the Powertrack Insert as a bolt-on device. Some controller have their stock insert held by a snap ring retainer and don't have hexagonal head at all. Contact us before buying to ask info on how to use it, we also offer the same solution for these types of controller. To see how your controller is made from under the car, you can just use a small mirror and a light to see the configuration. The Powertrack Insert will replace that stock 17mm insert.
If you already have an aftermarket controller, you can I still use our product as long you have the 17mm screw on top. Therefore you won't benefit from the various delivered rear torque provided by your aftermarket controller anymore as it will work exactly like an OEM unit upgraded with the Powertrack Insert 50/50.
Powertrack insert can make a rear Haldex LSC work as a "mechanical stand alone" on a car that wasn't designed to work with the rear Haldex. One of the best examples is the conversion of a VW Golf MkIV edition 337 to work with the rear of an Audi TT or VW R32 without the swap of all the stock electronics needed from a donor car or without investing in a stand-alone electronic box. Just contact us if you are doing that kind of project and we will tell you how to easily wire your electronics to select ON/OFF a rear 50/50 traction or FWD traction.

Discalimer: Powertrack insert is an aftermarket off-road component that will change the way your car behaves. When you install it, you take all the responsibility and liability of any kind of accident or consequence it could happen. We won't be liable in any ways of car failure, parts breakage, injury or accident. If you have any question, don't hesitate to contact us first.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Haldex-tract...a-Octavia-Cupra-/200934142498?#ht_1195wt_1255

Response on the over heating question copied from their Haldex Works facebook page

that is a good question. As you probably know there is an oil temparature sensor integrated into the controller. It's basically a resistor/thermistor that sends a signal to the controller ECU to adapt the output pressure signal to retains the wanted rear torque requested by the ECU. My add-on is not a variable device so won't need the data from the oil temperature variation. Somehow, in the stock configuration, the same device will completely disengage the Haldex clutches if the temperature reach 100 deg celcius. When the temperature deacrease under 100 celcius, the system will restart to work. That condition did not happen for a properly working system. If it happens it's the sign that something is defective in the unit. That feature is not supported when my add-on is in place. That means if the oil goes over 100 celcius, clutch still engaged. I personally never encounter a system that was working where oil reach that temperature. Haldex litterature says normal oil temperature operation is about 20 celcius. An higher temperature operated system won't continu to increase pressure on clutches as the pressure regulator switch still limit the pressure on the system. I cannot tell you how many much more heat can be created using my device. It's true working with higher pressure will create more heat, therefore I don't think it will overheat oil in a properly working system remembering that the sytem was design to work at theses pressure. Don't hesitate to ask if you have other quesitons.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well sounds like an alternative to the expensive replacement Haldex controllers. I will be interested to see if this works.

#4 ·
Well sounds like an alternative to the expensive replacement Haldex controllers. I will be interested to see if this works.

#6 ·
So basically it blocks the oil return from the clutches...

Why not just remove the original plug and add the plug to your original stud...

I can see the principle and agree it'll work but imagine premature haldex pump failure is a real issue there. Also there's no way the oil is going to circulate ...

#7 ·
s3tt said:
So basically it blocks the oil return from the clutches...

Why not just remove the original plug and add the plug to your original stud...

I can see the principle and agree it'll work but imagine premature haldex pump failure is a real issue there. Also there's no way the oil is going to circulate ...
On facebook the guy (he's a TT owner btw) answers some questions on this matters:

Your Haldex Works Basically you replace the 17mm brass plug (insert) that is located on top of the controller with the new one I supply. It features a tuned pin that modify the hydaulic circuit inside the controller. To sum up, what you receive in your box when you order the "Powertrack" is a machined brass insert to replace the stock one.

. Being a TT owner myself, I consider the Haldex unit one of the thing that make our cars special. I also know how expensive they are when they need complete replacement. My warranty is limited only to the part I supply for many reason. Too many factors must be considered, I'm just listing some: how the car is used, how much power the car have, modifications that have been made on the car so far, Haldex wear and proper working condition at the moment of the installation. Can I also permit myself to say how much a Haldex unit cost compared to the value of my part? I have to stay realistic on that. I'd like also to bring some technical informations here. First thing to know, the internal condition I create with my add-on is not unknown to the controller. That means the controller is made to work at that state and so the Haldex clutch. The hydraulic pressure is set to maximum without creating over pressure as it still be limited by the limitating pressure valve. That same limitating pressure valve is always involved in the process when the rear wheel drive is activated. About the clutch that fuse togheter it's a condition that may happen when the pressure applied on them allow slippage. Like your transmission clutch behave, you won't burn it when your foot is off the clutch. Same thing apply to your Haldex. Clutch won't slip when high hydraulic pressure is applied. Don't forget that the strain applied to the rear clutch is important only on hard acceleration, tight cornering or if you are using different front/rear tire size. Crusing doesn't request much on the clutches. Track racing is the best way to burn a stock Haldex clutch but I think you really have to go hard on it. I personally test that system for 3 monts now in various condictions. Even been able to test it a little bit prior to that period in the snow during the winter.

Piotr Stelmach I have a question about that bolt that you have started to sell.I guess, that it gives more pressure in haldex, but can you tell me that this bolt wont overheat haldex oil during work on highier pressure?
6 hours ago via mobile · Like
Your Haldex Works Piotr Stelmach that is a good question. As you probably know there is an oil temparature sensor integrated into the controller. It's basically a resistor/thermistor that sends a signal to the controller ECU to adapt the output pressure signal to retains the wanted rear torque requested by the ECU. My add-on is not a variable device so won't need the data from the oil temperature variation. Somehow, in the stock configuration, the same device will completely disengage the Haldex clutches if the temperature reach 100 deg celcius. When the temperature deacrease under 100 celcius, the system will restart to work. That condition did not happen for a properly working system. If it happens it's the sign that something is defective in the unit. That feature is not supported when my add-on is in place. That means if the oil goes over 100 celcius, clutch still engaged. I personally never encounter a system that was working where oil reach that temperature. Haldex litterature says normal oil temperature operation is about 20 celcius. An higher temperature operated system won't continu to increase pressure on clutches as the pressure regulator switch still limit the pressure on the system. I cannot tell you how many much more heat can be created using my device. It's true working with higher pressure will create more heat, therefore I don't think it will overheat oil in a properly working system remembering that the sytem was design to work at theses pressure.

#10 ·
s3tt said:
Pump failure is not an issue because the pre charge pump is always working on the system anyways. As soon you start you car and the engine reach 400 rpm, the haldex pre charge pump is engaged to maintain a 4 bars pressure (the pre charge pressure) into the system. From the point of view of the pump, there is absolutly no impact.

Second point, the oil is recirculating. There is 2 ways for the oil to circulate in the system, one is the control valve and the second is the pressure limit valve. When the add on is installed the system will act like when the ECU is asking for the maximum rear torque at an higher pressure that is limitated by the pressure limiting valve. Oil is circulating by this way.

For those who are curious about the all theses thechnicals, lots of questions been asked and replied on the facebook page!

#15 ·
I'd rather have a go at making my own than paying £130 for a bung at the end of the day it's just a longer plug/bung

#18 ·
was interested in a 50/50 lock a while ago but was always an expensive otpion. very tempted to try

#20 ·
I wouldn't mind giving it a try honestly but now with the coilover purchase and fitting I need to spare money :) besides there are a lot of people here who've made several things...from adjustable tie bars to defcons...they could make the "bolt" for £20 and sell it, couldn't they? :lol:

Real 4x4 TTs would be way better cars [smiley=dude.gif]

#21 ·
There is a give away on their facebook website if someone want to try it for free. It seems that it's not the price the real problem right now but more to find someone who is couragous enough to try it!

Billet parts are never cheap anyways. And from another point of view, what costs less than £75 today?

#22 ·
Worries me this...he is accepting the heat issue is un chartered territory in his design. Does not fill me with confidence at all. :( Wont be going on my car anytime soon. I can see future issues with this design and much more wear on the haldex. Cheap solution compared to a HPA performance haldex but bloody expensive for a bolt. :?

Damien.

#23 ·
My worry is the haldex controller is expensive for a reason, its reliable.

Im sure when they were developing the orange controller they considered all designs, I feel just blocking up a port isn't a reliable option, he also mentions daily drive, but not on tarmac just snow and dirt he mentions which is easier on the strain.

#24 ·
The way the rear Haldex works, there is no high pressure created when the front and the rear are going at the same speed. Running the car on tarmac at cruising speed for example is the situation where the less strain is transmitted to the rear. And so whatever it is in the stock configuration or with the modification.

Even with the modified hydraulic path there is no more heat created. It works at higher pressure when there is a demand for rear traction but the clutch slippage is reduced to a minimum. Clutch slippage is the main cause of oil heating. In fact it should run cooler particularly in high demand conditions, like repetitive full throttle start...

Don't forget that it's been mentionned that a unit with the oil temperature climbing up to 100 deg will be the sign of something else defecive inside.

As you guys said it's not supposed to be a direct replacement for HPA controller. Different product, different application. Therefore this is only thing you need to get the maximum traction from your rear Haldex.

#26 ·
mine put many cars to shame in the snow so it doesn't bother me if you know how to drive you can handle the understeer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.