Audi TT Forum banner

Car insurance rocketing up again?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Scott2Hotty 
#1 ·
I've got 7 yrs no claims and a full clean license, turn 30 next week but the best quote I've been able to find on the comparison sites is £450 (excluding windscreen and legal cover) so £500 by the time I've added the extras. Seems a tad excessive for a 7 yr old car that does next to know miles. Would anyone recommend any insurance company sto go direct to?

Would I be better off waiting until after I turn old to get some quotes? I always thought the later you leave it, the more it costs?

Cheers

#2 ·
Hi,

Costs generally going up the increase in Premium Tax doesn't help. My wife got a quote of about £350 for her 16 year old Puma, phoned the broker to say I was paying a lot less for my 3 year old TT eventually she ended up about £220 still too much but couldn't be bothered to hunt around. Luckily (??) we are both 60 with full NCB, so theoretically cheaper for us anyway.

Remains to be seen what happens when my premium is due next month, my company was only about £20 pa more expensive when I bought the car, but I always check with a couple of comparison sites anyway just to see, but to be honest if all I save is about £20/30 I can't be bothered with the hassle of changing.

I have read that it is a bit more expensive the closer you leave it, but not sure how true that actually is. Can't say I noticed a big decrease when I hit 30 (but it was a long time ago and my memory isn't what it once was), the car being more than 5 years old should make a difference as should the low annual mileage, how does it compare with your BMW?

Is it much more than you paid last year?

Andy

#3 ·
I'm actually talking about insurance for the BMW, Mrs is the main driver on the TT and we're both named driver on each others policy.

A full year for the mrs with me as a named driver was £300. When I was the main driver on the TT it was £360 incl legal cover etc. Seems like a big price hike between £360 and £500 for 2 old cars.

#4 ·
I have been insured with Adrian Flux for several years, had no real complaints, but they wanted more than £700 to insure my 2004 TT 3.2 with mods declared (slightly lowered, remapped). I pay a bit more than £500 on our BMW estate with them as well.

I called Greenlight Insurance on a referral from this site and they quoted circa £390 for each car, a savings of about £500 for both cars. I have 9+ yeard NCB, 3 points (camera ticket) on my license. The people at Greenlight could not be nicer and I am hoping that they continue to be so.

Certainly worth a call.

#5 ·
I was a very loyal customer of Adrian Flux insurance for many years, before my TT arrived. Bought a new 1.8 TFSI in November. They wanted £500 fully comp' (new 1.8 TFSI, 8 years no claims, clean license and I'm 46)

Did some shopping around, managed £230 from AXA.

So, Adrian Flux were going to try to sting me for £500 ...until I mentioned other quotes. Then, miraculously their 'Price Guarantee' kicked in and came back at £259. Sounded better ...until they subtly mentioned (read 'slipped in at the end of the quote call'), that excess was going to be £1500. Yeah right!

Not into getting 'Flux'd up the Arse' ...took my business elsewhere. :D

#6 ·
Mine is coming up in a couple of weeks, so had a play on Go Compare.

Best price was £270, and then got my renewal quote from Quote Me Happy... £190..

Very happy.

55 years young, clean license, 30+ no claims (although most insurers only see 10+), car on drive.

#7 ·
Shug750S said:

Best price was £270, and then got my renewal quote from Quote Me Happy... £190..

Very happy.

55 years young, clean license, 30+ no claims (although most insurers only see 10+), car on drive.
Yeah I used them for the last 2 years on the TT. They were always the cheapest for the TT but It was awkward with them managing renewals because you don't seem to be able to renew, you have to cancel one policy then open another but it's all a bit painful as you can't phone them up.

#8 ·
Shug750S said:

Very happy.

Yeah I used them for the last 2 years on the TT. They were always the cheapest for the TT but It was awkward with them managing renewals because you don't seem to be able to renew, you have to cancel one policy then open another but it's all a bit painful as you can't phone them up.

#9 ·
Shug750S said:

Very happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.