Audi TT Forum banner

Wheel choice means the much more expensive S-line Grrr!

2K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  Anthony_Manton 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 2 litre petrol, stronic coupe and comparing the Sport, S-line and Black edition. The Sport trim has all the gadgets I want except the B&O Hi-Fi. The problem I have is with the wheels. The best Sport trim wheels are the 5 twin dynamic at £450 extra and only just about acceptable. I'm not that keen on the standard s-line wheels so would pay £450 extra for the 5 twin spoke. Black edition wheels are fine. By the time I have specced the B&O and wheels on the Sport and S-line, the prices come out at:

Sport £35060
S-line £37610
Black £37865 (B&O included with Black edition)

So, my observation is that the Sport looks ok, but to really get the wheels I want I have to pay £2500 extra :eek: This might not look so bad if the difference means £50 a month extra (wild guessing), but in absolute terms that is a LOT of money [smiley=bigcry.gif] .

Note, the other differences between models such as LED lights, privacy glass and what have you are of no great interest, but the wheels are the big discriminator.

Is this the fundamental reason S-lines are so popular: because of the wheel choice specifically?

See less See more
#4 ·
TTimi said:
I think the S line is far better looking that the sport, not just because of the wheels, but the bodykit too!
To be honest I hadn't noticed a great difference with the body kit on the S-line apart from the centre bit under the front grill. Maybe I should look a bit closer. Do others find the S-line far better looking apart from the wheels?

#7 ·
Another S line fan here.

#11 ·
All a question of opinion of course and Audi deliberately design the S-line to be more appealing and to tempt you into spending another £2500.

For me after 25+ years of firm suspensions I decided now to go for a softer ride and I chose the Sport.
If I'd taken an S-line I would have declined the lowered suspension, for the ride comfort, but still have ended up with harder 19" wheels. I too wasn't keen on the standard S-line wheels and wouldn't want the multi-spoked 20"s. The 19" twin spokes are nice but too similar to what I had before.

The S-line's front body kit looks a lot sharper than the Sport but without the lowered suspension it loses some of that road sucking appearance. The rear kit is also nicer than the Sport giving it that wider lower look, but the difference is more subtle.
The side skirts however I think are awful. They're too angular and out of proportion.

The LED headlights are really good and the dynamic rear indicators are impressive, although you'd hardly ever see them yourself. Other than that you get a few S-line badges and bits of trim.

I spent ages mulling over the Sport vs S-line thing but in the end decided there was little point in me paying for lowered suspension that I wouldn't take, 19" wheels that I didn't want and LED lights which I'd rarely use as I do little night driving these days. On the other hand the front and rear body kits do look so much nicer. :?

Don't judge these things just from the configurator or brochure - go round a few dealers and have a proper look for yourself at the body kits and wheels, compare in the flesh and then decide.

#14 ·
I wouldn't worry about ride on the 19" wheels. I have an Sline on the standard 19" wheels, non lowered standard suspension and factory fitted Hankooks and the ride is amazing!!

I have had a number of 'sports' cars over the years - my last car, which I owned for 3 years from 2014 to 2017, was a Porsche Boxster (987) 2.9 6 cylinder. It was a great car but the ride was extremely hard and very noisy. Everything about it was heavy - great for the track but not so much in everyday use.

My current TT Sline Roadster is like a limousine in comparison.

On the read it's quiet with acceptable road roar and it's smooth - so smooth. The steering, clutch and gearbox are so light and effortless. I honestly can't believe how a car that corners so flat can handle the vagaries of UK roads so well.

I agree with the comments on this thread regarding the benefits, or otherwise, of the Sline over the Sport - but don't fear the 19" wheels - the ride is great.

#15 ·
sline people will defend sline, sport the sport.
2.5k is a little to ask if it gets you your bits, plus it will be worth more at the end

You could also go after market wheels for that money.

#16 ·
Toshiba said:
2.5k is a little to ask if it gets you your bits, plus it will be worth more at the end
I think OP's problem is that is also got him a load of bits that he didn't want. Plus although an s-line will be worth more later it won't be worth 2.5k more.

Toshiba said:
Yep. Just what I was thinking.

#17 ·
ZephyR2 said:
All a question of opinion of course and Audi deliberately design the S-line to be more appealing and to tempt you into spending another £2500.

For me after 25+ years of firm suspensions I decided now to go for a softer ride and I chose the Sport.
If I'd taken an S-line I would have declined the lowered suspension, for the ride comfort, but still have ended up with harder 19" wheels. I too wasn't keen on the standard S-line wheels and wouldn't want the multi-spoked 20"s. The 19" twin spokes are nice but too similar to what I had before.

The S-line's front body kit looks a lot sharper than the Sport but without the lowered suspension it loses some of that road sucking appearance. The rear kit is also nicer than the Sport giving it that wider lower look, but the difference is more subtle.
The side skirts however I think are awful. They're too angular and out of proportion.

The LED headlights are really good and the dynamic rear indicators are impressive, although you'd hardly ever see them yourself. Other than that you get a few S-line badges and bits of trim.

I spent ages mulling over the Sport vs S-line thing but in the end decided there was little point in me paying for lowered suspension that I wouldn't take, 19" wheels that I didn't want and LED lights which I'd rarely use as I do little night driving these days. On the other hand the front and rear body kits do look so much nicer. :?

Don't judge these things just from the configurator or brochure - go round a few dealers and have a proper look for yourself at the body kits and wheels, compare in the flesh and then decide.
I'm with you on avoiding the larger wheels as they come with a harder ride, although I need to drive them to check. The front and back do look sharper and I also agree on the sides being a bit too much. When I first saw the S-line, the sides looked a bit too boy racerish for my taste: I like my car to be on the discrete side. As for the dynamic indicators, I think they're a gimmick (no offence intended, just the personal view of a 51 year old!)

#18 ·
ZephyR2 said:
Toshiba said:
I think OP's problem is that is also got him a load of bits that he didn't want. Plus although an s-line will be worth more later it won't be worth 2.5k more.

Toshiba said:
Spot on, I feel I'd be paying £2500 with the only gain I want being the wheels. Aftermarket is not something I'd thought of, good idea.

#19 ·
fuzzyduck2 said:
ZephyR2 said:
Toshiba said:

Toshiba said:
Spot on, I feel I'd be paying £2500 with the only gain I want being the wheels. Aftermarket is not something I'd thought of, good idea.
Remember after pay X for your car aftermarket are money up front.

#21 ·
I find it funny you talking about a harder ride.
My MK 2 had S-Line suspension and I had 19" wheels. Yes the ride was hard, not a problem until speed bumps etc, so I know were you coming from.

I now have S-Line suspension and 20" wheels and the ride over pot holes and speed bumps is like being in a salon car. Nothing like my MK 2. So my 20" S-Line set up is "soft" compared to my MK2 were you want it to be and firm when you need it.
So I would suggest you try it before judging because just like everything in the MK3 it's a different world.

As for the debate about sport or S-Line, personal taste so it's a bit pointless :)

#22 ·
I think the sport is a bloody good looking motor, however I ended up buying an s-line and generally think it's also a handsome car too, BUT I fully agree with the negative comments about the s-line side skirts... I really think they look trashy and would willingly have swapped them for the much cleaner lines of the sport side skirts. :D

I was really bothered about the potential lack of comfort on the standard 19 s-line rims, but then I took a used TT with 20 inch Y spokes out for a test... apart from being the nicest looking wheels I've seen an a MK3, the ride was miles better than I expected and I didn't have any further concerns about the ride quality on the 19s after that.

God I love the look of the 20" Y spokes... it's just too expensive an after purchase upgrade for me unfortunately. :(

#23 ·
Nyxx said:
I find it funny you talking about a harder ride.
My MK 2 had S-Line suspension and I had 19" wheels. Yes the ride was hard, not a problem until speed bumps etc, so I know were you coming from.

I now have S-Line suspension and 20" wheels and the ride over pot holes and speed bumps is like being in a salon car. Nothing like my MK 2. So my 20" S-Line set up is "soft" compared to my MK2 were you want it to be and firm when you need it.
So I would suggest you try it before judging because just like everything in the MK3 it's a different world.
Interesting you've had the mk2 and 3 and find the bigger wheels on a mk3 preferable. I'll definitely test drive 19/20 inch models.

Meanwhile back to the core topic:

Nyxx said:
As for the debate about sport or S-Line, personal taste so it's a bit pointless :)
Yes its personal taste, but I was wondering if any others were happy with the Sport but for the wheel choice.

#24 ·
I've bumped an old post about Sport models with different / larger alloys. I would happily have ordered my Sport with 19' twin spoke RS alloys available on the S-line but Audi don't seem to want to offer anything other than 18's on the Sport. Agreed with the above comments that it's personal taste.

#25 ·
4433allanr said:
I've bumped an old post about Sport models with different / larger alloys. I would happily have ordered my Sport with 19' twin spoke RS alloys available on the S-line but Audi don't seem to want to offer anything other than 18's on the Sport. Agreed with the above comments that it's personal taste.
Most likely its a cynical attempt at up selling :(

#26 ·
Lots of love for the S-line on here (I do see loads on the road) and that's just fine, but for me I don't see £2500 of added value. I'm in the minority but its horses for courses and I respect everyone who has expressed an opinion. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.