Audi TT Forum banner

XCarlink & Bluetooth?

5K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  RobLE 
#1 ·
I know quite a few people have fitted the XCarlink MP3 or iPod adapter to the Audi radio's, but I was wondering of anyone has one of the newer ones with Bluetooth? I would like to fit one and was wondering whether the Bluetooth option was any good?
I have had a search but can't seem to find too much information about the features of the Bluetooth module. If anyone has one I'd be grateful of a quick review or if anyone has any decent links?

Cheers

Andy

#2 ·
Haven't used one but i'm looking for another since the one i ordered from china never turned up.

Can't seem to find any info on these on the xcarlink site? Where did you dig the info of a bluetooth version from?

#3 ·
terryjacobs said:
Haven't used one but i'm looking for another since the one i ordered from china never turned up.

Can't seem to find any info on these on the xcarlink site? Where did you dig the info of a bluetooth version from?
Just look on fleabay there are loads of them... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=006

The UK Xcarlink site doesn't have any details, however the Australian one does 'new product for 2008' apparently: http://www.xcarlink.com.au/bluetooth.ph ... 70a971a102

I was just wondering if anyone had tested the Bluetooth functionality. It looks like the additional cable thing is a microphone with answer button?

Andy

#4 ·
Due to the high postage cost for all the xcarlink's on fleaBay does anyone know if there is a UK importer of these? I don't want to waste £75 or so if it's crap and I don't think sending it back would be worth it (i.e. I wouldn't get the postage refunded). I am keen on the one with integrated bluetooth.
I have searched about a bit but can't find any alternative sellers of these except on fleaBay and they all charge a small fortune for postage. I realise the item cost is not a true cost and they ramp the postage up to make a profit, however I assume these are manufactured for pennies?

Anyone had one at a bargain price?

Andy

#5 ·
Hi mate,

I had a right pain with getting one of these. I purchased two off ebay. The first one never turned up despite tracking showing it was posted out. I had to get my money back via paypal. Then I bought a second one and they were taking ages (weeks) to deliver and I was fed up by then.

I ended up buying mine from www.xcarlink.co.uk which are a UK seller. It came in two days. Costs a bit more £80 or so but far worth it for the easy purchase.

However they don't seem to sell the bluetooth version. Might be worth a buzz.

When you do get it, removing the head unit ensure you put the keys in the right way. I put mine in wrong and messed up the latches making it near on impossible to get out.

#6 ·
I thought I would resurect this thread in case anyone has installed the latest XCarlink with bluetooth? They are about £75 delivered from China from various sellers on eBay.
I use a Windows Mobile phone (HTC Kaiser) which has TomTom Navigator installed. Currently I use a Bluetooth headset with this along with a cigarette ligher charger thing. The TomTom audio obviosly only comes out of the phone speaker and telephone calls hit the BT headset. I was wondering if anyone else has a similar setup (i.e. PDA Phone running TomTom) but is using the XCarlink with Bluetooth?
I have tested playing music with Windows Media Player and running TomTom at the same time and the instructions are played over the music so it looks like this would work, however I don't have an A2DP headset to test.

Cheers

Andy

#7 ·
I'm not really sure if this is what you're after but it might help. Autoleads in the UK distribute a product called iO Connect & they have Bluetooth hands free kits that can utilize A2DP streaming. If your phone doesn't have A2DP, you can buy an adaptor which plugs into your jack plug on the phone & provides A2DP.

Hope this helps.

#8 ·
I'm not sure exactly what functionality you're looking for, but there's a Bluetooth module on the XCarlink UK website.

#9 ·
Chuck said:
I'm not sure exactly what functionality you're looking for, but there's a Bluetooth module on the XCarlink UK website.
I was hoping someone else who uses a PDA/Phone with TomTom has taken the plunge and installed one of these, I was hoping for some comments on its functionality. It seems the bluetooth part is an afterthought and I don't know whether it would be as good as a dedicated bluetooth carkit - i.e. a parrot?

Andy

#10 ·
Hi I had a similar situation, my HTC tytn II will not keep connected to my bluetooth satnav so wanted a different option. I opted for the Kenwood KDC-BT8041U head unit. It is also Ipod direct. The unit comes with parrot as standard and a mic extension. I know not that answer you wanted but an alternative.

Cheers
Ash

#11 ·
terryjacobs said:
Hi mate,

I had a right pain with getting one of these. I purchased two off ebay. The first one never turned up despite tracking showing it was posted out. I had to get my money back via paypal. Then I bought a second one and they were taking ages (weeks) to deliver and I was fed up by then.

I ended up buying mine from http://www.xcarlink.co.uk which are a UK seller. It came in two days. Costs a bit more £80 or so but far worth it for the easy purchase.

However they don't seem to sell the bluetooth version. Might be worth a buzz.

When you do get it, removing the head unit ensure you put the keys in the right way. I put mine in wrong and messed up the latches making it near on impossible to get out.
Terry, how long are the cables, and where did you actually install the XCarlink unit? The installation diagrams and pictures I've been able to find are poor at best; I can't tell if I would have enough length, for example, to put the unit somewhere in the dash and run the line to my iPhone down the console and up to the phone bracket. I'm wondering aloud here, but is the unit for sale any the UK any different from the one on eBay from China? Last, but not least, how big is the damned thing?

#12 ·
I'd also like to know how long the cables are. I was thinking to install it in the glovebox or maybe in the compartment at the end of the central console 'tunnel'. With regards to size it's pretty easy to judge as there is a SD slot and a standard USB port so looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0292962717

I would say this one is about the size of a *** packet?

Andy

#13 ·
I bought mine from http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/

Cost a bit more but I was just fed up with the hassle I had from China.

The cables are fairly long. I put my cable through the glove box (I just pulled out the glovebox light to bring the cable through) then cut a small hole so it would clip back in. There is ample cable to get to the glove box and some left over. You could probably reach pretty much most of the dash/centre console.

The device is a lot smaller than I thought. about 5" x 3" by 1/2" deep perhaps. Something like that. Not a lot bigger than a pack of cards

#14 ·
Just in case any one is interested i am selling one of these!

PM me for more info.

* its not the one with bluetooth, but its basically brand new. Used for a week, fully boxed. Only changing because i purchased a new head unit.

#15 ·
After a bit more digging it looks like the Bluetooth module is an afterthought and simply plugs into the AUX port on the unit. The XCarLink has no BlueTooth intelligence, it is just the module that does. One other thing is there is no signalling to the head unit that a phone call has occured so if you are listening to the radio or a Traffic Program happens (i.e. not the psuedo CD-changer it emulates) you won't have the phone audio routed over the cars speakers.
Thinking about it this is pretty obvious from how this thing works, but its a bit of a let down. Usually I listen to the Radio when I am local to home as we now have a decent radio station in Manchester (http://www.rockradiomanchester.co.uk) so there would be no interuption to tell me a call has come in (unless I hear the phone ringing in which case I could hit the CD button).

What other options are there? I am keen to keep the Audi Chorus II HU but would like MP3 capability (USB/SD), Bluetooth audio from my PDA/Phone (TomTom) and phone interuption?

Cheers

Andy

#17 ·
T3RBO said:
Not read all the posts so sorry if repeating, but found the below last night and states it does everything

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?p ... t=0&page=1
That is a recent addition to the UK XcarLink site as I couldn't find any info on the BlueTooth stuff before, so good find. However 'does everything' isn't quite correct - see my previous post regarding the audio only being routed to the car speakers when the CD (or psuedo-CD) is selected. I listen to the radio a fair bit and if this box of tricks doesn't interupt the radio when a call comes in then I think it might be a big stumbling block :?

It might be OK if you can pair the PDA/Phone with both a BT Headset and the XCarlink module but its not perfect, plus I don't know if this would even work?

Andy

#19 ·
ADB said:
T3RBO said:
Not read all the posts so sorry if repeating, but found the below last night and states it does everything

http://www.xcarlink.co.uk/product.php?p ... t=0&page=1
. . . if this box of tricks doesn't interrupt the radio when a call comes in then I think it might be a big stumbling block :?
Andy
I don't see how it could interrupt the radio, but I may be wrong; I'll know when I get mine installed, hopefully within the next week or so. It would obviously interrupt music played from the iPhone, because it does that when a call comes in.

#20 ·
hi

anyone know if the xcarlink.co.uk have different quality as the one china's on ebay, or xcarlink.co.uk have same devices as china's on ebay?

For example xcarlink.co.uk have "new" devices in aluminium case, Im not sure if the one on ebay is black plastic or alluminium..

thx

#21 ·
So what is the consensus here? To buy one or not to buy one?

I have the original concert tape cassette unit. I was going to get an Audi CD headunit but was told that I would need a £70 connector and the display on the dash would not work, nor would the display on the unit light up. To top it off, I am told the unit would switch off after an hour!

I am keen to buy one of these units, does anyone know if they are compatible with the original concert tape cassette unit? Do these have the CD autochanger capability?

Many thanks

#22 ·
T3RBO said:
Just says 'music playing' is interrupted... Might be worth giving them a call just to double check 'music' includes the radio
I am pretty sure this does not include radio as it is only items that are directly connected to the xcarlink module such as the ipod.

#23 ·
ProjectUno said:

I have the original concert tape cassette unit. I was going to get an Audi CD headunit but was told that I would need a £70 connector and the display on the dash would not work, nor would the display on the unit light up. To top it off, I am told the unit would switch off after an hour!

I am keen to buy one of these units, does anyone know if they are compatible with the original concert tape cassette unit? Do these have the CD autochanger capability?

Many thanks
Who told you this? I have emailed xcarlink in the past about using a concert cd HU and they didn't mention any of the above.

#24 ·
colster said:
ProjectUno said:

Many thanks
Who told you this? I have emailed xcarlink in the past about using a concert cd HU and they didn't mention any of the above.
But I have the tape concert Head Unit.

#25 ·
ProjectUno said:
colster said:
ProjectUno said:

Many thanks
But I have the tape concert Head Unit.
:oops: I misread your post. Does it not have Kbus?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.