Audi TT Forum banner

Radio Ga Ga???

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  davida-p 
#1 ·
Anyone had this problem?

I have a current '59 reg 2.0 with Symphony and BOSE iPod connection and Bluetooth, picked up last October from new.
Lately some strange things are going on with the radio.

Usually you listen to your tracks or radio, park-up and turn off the ignition. The radio goes off and you get out and shut the door and lock-up, but occasionally now you turn off the ignition and the radio stays on, you press the button to turn it off and it just goes into 'mute' mode so you open the doors and the radio then goes off??? (following so far).

Now whats happening occasionally is you turn off the ignition the radio stays on so you get out the car, radio stays on and lock the car, and you guessed it...
... it's still bloody on!!

To rectify this you then get back in the car turn on the ignition and then switch it off again, then it goes off.

The annoying thing is, if you park up for work and haven't realised this then it could stay on all day, I first noticed this when I stopped at a shop, came back noticed this and thought someone had been trying to tamper with the car.

Do you think this is an electrical problem or a problem with the iPod connect or radio.

Or if I take it to the dealers, will they think I'm barking mad??

Herbie TT

See less See more
#2 ·
When you turn the ignition off the radio is supposed to stay on until you remove the ignition key. Once you have removed the ingnition key, if you press the radio 'power' button the radio will come back on and stay on for up to an hour. This is so you can leave the radio on for your passenger whilst you get out and take the keys with you.

Depending on exactly what you are doing with your radio it might be working as designed. Does the behaviour I've described sound like what is happening?

Cheers,
Dan

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply. In the past and most of the time now, as mentioned it is only the past few weeks this has been happing. I used to be able to turn the ignition off pull the key out and the radio will go off, I'd lock the car and be on my way.

But recently (occasionally) I've turned the ignition off pull the key out, (the radio stays on) OR I've open the door (the radio goes off) OR close the door and lock the car (the radio goes off)... or sometimes it doesn't??

think i might have a poltergeist.... :evil:

#5 ·
igotone said:
Do you have the facility to do a full reset on your Symphony? If so it could be worth a try.
Thank you first of all for your reply

I don't honestly know how i would go about doing that. Do you know if it's something you can do through DIS or do you need a laptop and some special software. If so I only use Apple Macs so the chances of getting the software for this are probably '0'

I have heard that the dealers can reset the BOSE system, where people in the past have had sound problems, might be the same for the Symphony.

I must add at this point that I am currently looking to upgrade the radio to the Sat Nav+ AMI system, but would want to sort this problem first, as they could say that the radio warranty is now void, and that it is an wiring problem caused buy having an updated unit retro fitted...

#6 ·
Don't know if it is the same on the symphony as the nav unit but worth a try. Turn off the unit with the power button then turn on and keep power button pressed unit screen goes black then release button, after a few seconds the system will restart [if necessary switch on system manually}.
If this doesn't work try pulling the fuse.

#8 ·
I have noticed this behaviour very recently also. I think it possibly started when I was washing the car and turned the radio on with the ignition switch off. Later that day after going for a drive I noticed it stayed on after I had removed the key, and the normal "clunk" when removing the key didn't occur I actually thought I'd somehow broken the ignition.

It has since not done it... done it... not done it.... VERY annoying!!

And as for turning off after an hour... I also suffer this.... but it happens when the ignition is on and engine running, so an hour into your journey suddenly there is silence :?

While I'm moaning.... again quite recently the radio keeps turning itself off then on when I first start the car from cold. Start car, radio on. Engage reverse, start to reverse, powers off (display goes off also). A few seconds later comes back on. Engage D, pull away, goes off again. Then comes on again. Off and On occurs various number of times and randomly.

I'm beginning to think I have an electrical problem somewhere, but will try the holding power button to reset, see if that helps!

#9 ·
I have just had the Concert Radio replaced by a RNSe SatNav+ with AMi unit, the same problem is still happening. You switch the ignition off and take out the key and the Sat Nav stays on, this only occurs occasionally though. So the other day when it happened I had to unlock the door, put the key back in the ignition turn it, then take it out again for the Sat Nav to turn off.

It becoming a real pain, I think there is a dodgy wire somewhere, but why this only occasionally happens I don't know.Just means checking the car everytime you lock it, or could end up with a flat battery when you come to drive the car home in the evening...

#10 ·
i had a problem with my 2008 TT with Symphony radio where after driving for an hour with the radio on it would turn itself off, it turned out to be ignition module. The module supplies power to the radio for upto 1 hour without the keys in the ignition then turns it off, there was some sort of internal problem where the timer was kaput, it could be the same sort of problem with yours.

#11 ·
[And as for turning off after an hour... I also suffer this.... but it happens when the ignition is on and engine running, so an hour into your journey suddenly there is silence :?

I also just started to get my radio turning off after about an hour i first thought it was to do with my bluetooth hands free kit so i tried out with the bluetooth off and it still does it. This started a few months ago and never happened before.
J

#12 ·
Hi guys, did anyone find a solution for this?
I keep finding my radio swiched on when i return to the car, despite making sure it's off when i walk away.

The dash display also lights up when I exit the car... sometimes... and often when i leave... The lights in the dash are annoying, but they switch back off after 10 seconds or so. The radio stays on and risks running the battery down.

Short of putting in a physical breaker switch to disconnect the radio from the power (which will cause me to loose my security code, my settings and stations everytime) i don't know what else to do about this.

#13 ·
sherbs said:
i had a problem with my 2008 TT with Symphony radio where after driving for an hour with the radio on it would turn itself off, it turned out to be ignition module. The module supplies power to the radio for upto 1 hour without the keys in the ignition then turns it off, there was some sort of internal problem where the timer was kaput, it could be the same sort of problem with yours.
Mine too, just had it fixed. They couldn't see a fault with the ignition module, though they changed it anyway. Now my radio stays on without going off after an hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.