Audi TT Forum banner

Water leak in boot (somewhere!!)

19K views 70 replies 15 participants last post by  TT-driver 
#1 ·
My boot area has a water leak, water appears clean and puddles around the battery area (lowest point) I have had all the rear trim out and the hosepipe all over the car, I even tie wrapped the hose onto our fence so it 'rainned' on the car for around an hour.........still no signs.

I have had the hose just about everywhere, wheelarches, inside rear bumper, all over the top of the car, nothing, as soon as I drive the car in the rain the boot gets wet, I even placed kitchen roll all around the boot area to identify where it comes from, the rear and right side got wet but to be honest I left it too long and I think the water was sloshing about, I'll try again. any thoughts anyone??

#4 ·
I believe that they are pipes from the back of the car through the boot and thats where my knowledge
stops....sorry

#5 ·
Have you tried adjusting the "rubber stoppers" at the rear of the boot lid? If they are not set correct, it might be the boot lid does not seal properly all arround?

#6 ·
Arne said:
Have you tried adjusting the "rubber stoppers" at the rear of the boot lid? If they are not set correct, it might be the boot lid does not seal properly all arround?
Yep, i have fiddled with those and also the boot catch, it seems to be either the R side or rear, probably more so the R side, no trim gets wet, it just appears soaking the kitchen roll that I am trying to use to identify where it comes in, i'm getting pissed off with it now, a £53k 3 month old car with a boot full of water, NOT what I expect to be honest, I guess it's another trip to the dealer and a week in a f&^%$£g astra

#7 ·
Had a similar problem with a rogue leak some years ago in a different car, thought it was a blocked drain pipe from the sliding sunroof but turned out to be a very small hole in a rear wheel arch - so very difficult to replicate until it rains hard and you drive through deep puddles. Sealed inside the wheelarch and also from inside the car as well and bingo. Good luck!

#8 ·
Thanks for that, this one's odd, only leaks when i'm driving the car in the rain, it can pi** down all night and the car stays dry and also the roads can be soaked but if it's not raining the car stays dry. :?

#9 ·
That sounds like a leak in the wheel arch area or the drain around the boot lid / hatch, where the water is being forced in either through a hole in wheel arch or through seal in boot lid......

Next time you're out in the rain,... try to get your car somewhere dry after the drive and check around all the hatch seals to see if you can spot wet areas (notice I avoided the word "Patch"), on the 'inside' of the seal.

#10 ·
Harvester said:
That sounds like a leak in the wheel arch area or the drain around the boot lid / hatch, where the water is being forced in either through a hole in wheel arch or through seal in boot lid......

Next time you're out in the rain,... try to get your car somewhere dry after the drive and check around all the hatch seals to see if you can spot wet areas (notice I avoided the word "Patch"), on the 'inside' of the seal.
Thanks, I think I have found it, the rear hatch seal sits on a horizontal lip not the normal vertical one like most cars, the seal has been removed for fitment of the tracker arial, the seal is slightly lifted around the bottom right corner, the seal also has white goo to complete the seal, I guess this has been misplaced by the removal/refitment

#11 ·
mikef4uk said:
Harvester said:

Thanks, I think I have found it, the rear hatch seal sits on a horizontal lip not the normal vertical one like most cars, the seal has been removed for fitment of the tracker arial, the seal is slightly lifted around the bottom right corner, the seal also has white goo to complete the seal, I guess this has been misplaced by the removal/refitment
That's good news,.... hope you managed to get it cured before the next deluge!

:)

#13 ·
Well I had'nt found it............but I have now!
What an absolute tw*t to find, the water in the boot was leaking in from a spot welded seam in the Right rear of the boot behind the trim panel and the aux fuse board, it is the seal of the right rear quater window at fault right in the rear corner, the problem in finding it is it takes about 40 minutes in heavy rain to start leaking, I spent close to an hour sitting in the rear seats watching it today, now I know where it is I can make it pretty bad by directing the hose pipe at that rear corner of the quater window.

Audi want to remove the window and seals....................I can see that ending up a mess, so, I have booked the car in but they have agreed that I should do something to lessen the leak as the earliest I can have a courtesy car is in 3 weeks, I'll try with a little Tiger seal (polyuerathane one pack) and if I stop it that's the end of it, I really don't want the window cutting out if it's not required

#14 ·
mikef4uk said:
Well I had'nt found it............but I have now!
What an absolute tw*t to find, the water in the boot was leaking in from a spot welded seam in the Right rear of the boot behind the trim panel and the aux fuse board, it is the seal of the right rear quater window at fault right in the rear corner, the problem in finding it is it takes about 40 minutes in heavy rain to start leaking, I spent close to an hour sitting in the rear seats watching it today, now I know where it is I can make it pretty bad by directing the hose pipe at that rear corner of the quater window.

Audi want to remove the window and seals....................I can see that ending up a mess, so, I have booked the car in but they have agreed that I should do something to lessen the leak as the earliest I can have a courtesy car is in 3 weeks, I'll try with a little Tiger seal (polyuerathane one pack) and if I stop it that's the end of it, I really don't want the window cutting out if it's not required
Hi. Did you fix this leak? Did they replace the seals on the rear triangle window? I think I have a leak in the same place. Wet carpet behind driver seat(lhd) and water puddle in the boot.

#17 ·
I'm going to try to locate the leak this weekend. If I find a leak from the little window I will try to use black sillicone(a suitable highgrade one) to seal it. If I manage to make it look good/invisible it'll do. If not I'll take it to a glassrepair shop.(don't know what you call it in english)

#18 ·
Mine has been leaking like a sieve. The amount of water I've bailed out of the boot in recent weeks just isn't funny. Anyway, I think I found the source...

The plate the spoiler sits on has a thin rubber seal which doesn't seem to work very well and, added to that, the spoiler drain tubes also don't seem to seal very well where they come through the spoiler mounting plate.

Removing the parts and applying a thin bead of flexible panel sealant to supplement the rubber seal on all three parts seems to have done the trick.

#19 ·
siwhite said:
Mine has been leaking like a sieve. The amount of water I've bailed out of the boot in recent weeks just isn't funny. Anyway, I think I found the source...

The plate the spoiler sits on has a thin rubber seal which doesn't seem to work very well and, added to that, the spoiler drain tubes also don't seem to seal very well where they come through the spoiler mounting plate.

Removing the parts and applying a thin bead of flexible panel sealant to supplement the rubber seal on all three parts seems to have done the trick.
Do you have any pics? Nice to know for others searching for leaks. Was it easy to do?

#20 ·
I pulled my electric spoiler out today to replace it with the OEM fixed wing. Mine had an off/white silicon type sealant smeared around those drain tube rubber seals, and it appears to be done by the factory. The fittings and spoiler have never been removed before, definitely not a dealer solution. I can take a photo if needed?

#21 ·
Mattjin said:
I pulled my electric spoiler out today to replace it with the OEM fixed wing. Mine had an off/white silicon type sealant smeared around those drain tube rubber seals, and it appears to be done by the factory. The fittings and spoiler have never been removed before, definitely not a dealer solution. I can take a photo if needed?
Pics are always appreciated :)
If I dont' locate the leak from the window, the spoiler would have to be on my list of checkpoints.
Though I would suspect the boot hinge seal first.

#23 ·
the minty1 said:
My suggestion. Rip out all the trim panels from the boot and the side trim panels from the rear pasenger area. Place toilet paper right around the perimeter of the boot, and wait. The paper should deform giving an indication of the location and direction of the leak.
Or talkum powder(baby powder). First I'll try to look for a leak by hosing the window. I've read it could take quite some time before it starts to leak. But if I'm lucky (probably not) I'll see the leak. If not I'll put some toilet paper or talkum powder different places and check from time to time. :)

#24 ·
No luck finding the leak today. I have e-mailed the dealer and asked if they have experience in dealing with leaks on TT's.
I used my high pressure washer and hosed the car everywhere, even in the wheel arches. I found some grommets in the boot I plan to seal, but I'm pretty sure the leak aren't from those because my car was very wet when I came home from London last desember. Indicating that the leak is caused by the rain and not water under the car when driving.

Has anyone here had their car in for a water leak search? Any idea of the price?

I have removed some panels and the rear seat and pulled up the carpet a bit to dry it.

#26 ·
Olsens said:
No luck finding the leak today. I have e-mailed the dealer and asked if they have experience in dealing with leaks on TT's.
I used my high pressure washer and hosed the car everywhere, even in the wheel arches. I found some grommets in the boot I plan to seal, but I'm pretty sure the leak aren't from those because my car was very wet when I came home from London last desember. Indicating that the leak is caused by the rain and not water under the car when driving.

Has anyone here had their car in for a water leak search? Any idea of the price?

I have removed some panels and the rear seat and pulled up the carpet a bit to dry it.
Dealer didn't have experience with water leaks on TT. Weird since my city has the most rain in the country.
I'm getting pretty sick of this, so now I'm going to attack mode. I figured I have to try to check/seal leaks under the front window.

Hopefully the water in the boot is just from condensation and the leak is only in the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.