Switch to full site
Discuss all things to do with the MK2 TT 8J (2006-2014)
Post a reply

SD card and finding music easier ?

23 May 2020, 23:00

I have the RNS-E mk2 and I was wondering if anyone can advise a better way of putting music on a SD card. Currently I'll add music but my issue is I end up with 700+ songs altogether.
Is there a 'how to' so I can break up the music into several folders so I can find maybe a certain Genre or Album ? Finding it very tiresome shifting through dozens of songs to find that one song. [smiley=bigcry.gif] , Thanks.

Re: SD card and finding music easier ?

23 May 2020, 23:09

Id also love to know if there's a solution to this, by the time i find the song I want I've already reached my destination :lol:

24 May 2020, 02:58

I created a separate folder named for each album I wanted to store and placed all the songs from that album into said folder. Doing it this way allows me to scroll through my album list then scroll through the songs on the album.
You could do the same thing by creating folders based on artist's name or genre.

It is also possible to create subfolders within folders, so for example you could scroll through a list of artists, say “David Bowie” which would then give you a list of Bowie albums and then a list of songs on each album.

IIRC, I did have to rename each song by adding a number to the song's title to preserve the album's original play order (otherwise the songs get arranged alphabetically) For example:

Folder = Bowie
      subfolder = Ziggy Stardust
        song =
            01 Five Years
            02 Soul Love
            03 Moonage Daydream
            04 Etc, etc

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to search for & find an individual song if you don't know which folder you've placed it in

sent from my TVC15 :-P

24 May 2020, 04:54

I often download "the best of" groups directly off YouTube so I end up with a single file MP3 file for the entire album. Obviously whoever puts that album together determines the songs and in which order they play, but it does reduce the number of titles on the SD Card.

Then I just re-title the file to designate that it's an Album, not an individual song. The only downside is this doesn't allow playing individual songs. But these usually have all the songs I like to listen to anyway and I can quickly skip from group to group rather than from track to track. I use a fine tipped Sharpie permanent market to write "Album" on the card, and by keeping the MP3 title as short as possible, it's easier to read on the DIS.

ACDC-BestOf
Eagles-BestOf
SteelyDan-Aja
VanHalen-84

I also have SD Cards which hold individual tracks, but instead of loading up several hundred tracks onto a single SD Card, I found it easier to use multiple SD Cards and simply put fewer tracks on each one. By limiting the total number of tracks on each SD Card to about 50, it makes searching for an individual song a bit quicker. I've written "A-C", "D-F" etc. on these SD Cards and organize each one by band and track, shortening the file name as much as possible.

America-HorseNoName
AmyWineHouse-Rehab
BruceSpring-GloryDays
BTO-LetItRide

You'll find the ashtray is the perfect size to hold SD cards.

AshtraySDCardHolder.JPG

24 May 2020, 07:06

I put mine into playlists on the SD Card,
Post a reply