Audi TT Forum banner

Jay Reed's Aviator grey 225

26K views 243 replies 23 participants last post by  Marcwithac 
#1 ·
Hey there guys thought id start a bit of a build thread of my own.

Bit about me: I'm 23 and just recently converted to the vag scene (not regretting it abit).

Previously had a corsa vxr which I did love at the time until i got the tt.
Heres my corsa:

Okay so now the past is out the way, I recently picked up this:

Got her fairly cheap but she is a high miler. Which doesn't bother me too much regarding the reviews on these engines etc.
Loved the colour as ive never seen one in person before so took the plunge and bought her.

First plans for her was to sort out the nitty gritty bits. Put a DAB pioneer headunit in her as I loved my DAB.

Next on my list of plans was a complete full service as the previous owner wasn't sure about belt etc being done so rather then risk it ive ordered mall the goodies.

Treated my self to another personal plate as my current one is 55 :(.
Came through the post its. R333D JJ.

Had a bit of spare time today to sort the air filter out. Wak box'd my standard one to which has made hell of a difference to the sound. Feels a lot less restrictive as well.

Waiting on a few more parts to come and she'll be getting serviced. After that i'll be treating her to a 3 stage polish. Then i shall get more photos of her.

Oh and the first car that thought he was jack the lad happened to be a corsa vxr... This was before my right foot became slightly heavy hehe.

So yea that's all for now. Want her running mechanically sound before i start messing around with engine mods etc. but i will update as i go along.

Cheers Jay

See less See more
#227 ·
So today I finally got my valve compressor, and managed to get the head stripped.

Looking at the valves, 1 inlet valve in cylinder two is bent, and 1 exhaust in cylinder 3 is cracked just as I thought, Not sure how I got so lucky but hey ho im not complaining.

Going to clean up the head tomorrow and give the valves a clean and possibly source the new ones ready for her to be put back together. We'll see how it goes tomorrow haha. But as it stands (Touch wood, infact im stroking the wood) things are turning around from bad to good.

Couldn't get any pics of the valves as had to go downstairs and do a few hours behind the bar :lol:

Jay

#228 ·
Still working on it bro?

#229 ·
Hiya Sandy mate, not at the moment, Job hunts been a bit meh. But ive now just started as a Ducter's mate which is decent pay so I'll either be getting a replacement write off motor for the engine and a few other bits.

Or I'm thinking of taking the work i've done off the aviator one and get a lowish mile one and transfer them over.

I'm falling in love with the Votex kit so I'm kinda swaying towards the buying a votex tt and going from there.

EDIT: Sorry, Never realised that I never updated the thread. After stripping the head, Cleaning it up nicely found it was cracked. Ill Upload some photos later of the damage

#230 ·
JayReed said:
Hiya Sandy mate, not at the moment, Job hunts been a bit meh. But ive now just started as a Ducter's mate which is decent pay so I'll either be getting a replacement write off motor for the engine and a few other bits.

Or I'm thinking of taking the work i've done off the aviator one and get a lowish mile one and transfer them over.

I'm falling in love with the Votex kit so I'm kinda swaying towards the buying a votex tt and going from there.

EDIT: Sorry, Never realised that I never updated the thread. After stripping the head, Cleaning it up nicely found it was cracked. Ill Upload some photos later of the damage
Hi mate, just reading your reply mate. You've been through the wars with this one and really do feel for you man!!!
I wish o never sold my tt as I still miss it now as to me it was a one off and was going to far with its solid engine and gorgeous curves hahaha

Someone sold an Audi A3 1.8T Y reg for £40 the other day and o was like wt* the kids didn't know what was wrong with it saying it was the clutch hahaha

Found the selector rod snapped :lol:

Hope you get yours sorted although I'd say get another one and strip this for spares :wink:

#231 ·
Just an update bit of a traitor post inbound.

The guy I was working with in the ducting game decided to screw me over and let me go and hire his brother instead (Bastard I know). But as they say Karma is sweet and in this case it was pretty sweet.

The boss who employed him decided to go back onto site and let all his workers go. He needed a mate as well so he took me on. So i've basically had a pay rise, watched the other guy fall on his ass and the best bit... wait for it. We work mon-thurs with friday paid :D :D. Longer hours in the mon-thurs but better off in the long run.

Now onto the sad news. The car itself wasn't running. So basically most scrap places I rang for quotes said they'd take it off me but the price they'd pay me £50.... Would cover the recovery truck fee getting it to them. Hell I know i was cutting my loss but not that much told them all to do one basically.

But I have decided to cut my losses on the thing. Not really willing to swap engine etc to still be stuck in the situation where I need to sort out the esp light (which im thinking is the haldex controller) So I've let her go. Luckily I know a mechanic that works in the Cardiff audi branch. He was determined not to let me scrap it so I offered it to him anything was better then nothing. Gave me 100 quid and towed her away (Sad day). He's gonna rebuild her and sell it on. I still have parts that I've taken out the car which will probably see me near to 500 overall (head set etc) But the TT has sadly won this battle.

Now the more positive notes.

Now I've got a pay rise I can increase my budget a bit more coming rebate time which I've been looking at the next gen of audis. Sadly I don't like the mk2 TT in comparison to the mk1, But I want something a bit more "newer". So I've been looking at the facelift (08+) S3's. Kinda heart set on one now. So currently I'm gonna be waiting out a decent lowish miler s3 with the recaro's etc. Still un decided as to whether I'll go s-tronic or manual (ive heard manual's can take more power then the s tronic boxes so that'll probably sway me towards the manual) But all in all it was a joy and a bas**** of owning the tt. When she worked she was brilliant. When she didn't god she was worse then the misses nagging me :lol: :lol: :lol:

These are just my thoughts at the moment. If I can find a nice TTS at a decent price it wouldn't surprise me if I swayed towards it. Or you never know I might win the lottery and go get a mk3 ttrs :lol: :lol:

TLDR: The tt won.

#234 ·
Sorry to have to say this but I knew that car was a money pit from the day you posted up your troubles mate. :(

Get the s tronic for the win :p quicker gear changed than any manual box [smiley=book2.gif]

I personally don't like the look of the mkII BUT YOU KNOW WHAT the cars rapid and can be made to look a beast and black for the win again :twisted:

Good luck with whatever you choose :)

#235 ·
Turns out ive reverted my plans. Going for a mk1 again. Thank the facebook group. Persuading me. Am going to hold out for a decent votex one, there's one local to me up for 3,500. but its on 110k roadster. Depending on history etc, and i'll be scanning it with vcds before purchasing. I may be back in the mk1 club :lol:.

#241 ·
Everytime I get sucked into a build thread I end up reading it from start to finish. I try to avoid them now because some take hours and hours to read, just finished this one.

Many show the ups and the downs of TT ownership, but none so much as this.

Jay I wish you the very best of luck, and of TT Ownership with your new TT.

Respect.

#242 ·
Thanks guys, theres a few niggles (pads etc) with this one but managed to get a vagcom on her today.

One code it threw up, Alarm siren is knackered but thats no biggy. Made a new thread for the new tt, got a couple of photos on there if anyones interested.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1646426

Jay

#243 ·
This one was a ball ache from day one Jay

Hopefully your new project sees you well :p

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.