Audi TT Forum banner

Project ResTToration

13K views 75 replies 20 participants last post by  Grimsvotn 
#1 ·
I acquired a lightly wrecked and heavily abused black 225 coupe in 2008 from a repossession lot along with a friend. It sat until 2013 due to finish engineering school, moving away to start my career, etc etc. In 2013, I wrecked my white 180Q coupe, and this initiated the rebuild. It's been a slow process that has seen progress start and stop several times, and a severed relationship with said friend resulted in me getting the car back this past weekend. I have a long build thread on the Vortex, but a lot of it isn't relevant. I'll be updating this thread as progress resumes now that I have the car back. Here's the car in it's current state, as I got it back this weekend.

Parts in hand/Modifications planned
2008cc shortblock, IE drilled rods, JE 83mm pistons, OEM FSI crank, King bearings
PagParts Vband turbo manifold with Tial WG and GT35R
Orange Haldex controller
H&R RSS coilovers
2 pair of CPT adjustable rear lateral links
Modified rear OEM swaybar
Clutchmasters twin disc FX725 "race" clutch setup
1200cc injectors with aftermarket rail and Aeromotive FPR
SEM large port intake manifold with 80mm throttle
VF side engine mounts

I have a CNC'ed QED large port cylinder head with Supertech valves, Cat springs and retainers, Cat adjustable cam gear, and Cat 3658 camshafts. This will get installed on the freshly built shortblock stroker that is in the car. I'll update this post this weekend with lots of pics as I start to work on the car and some pics from the transformation to it's current state. Obviously the exterior is ROUGH, but I'm more concerned with performance obviously, and may even christen it the RaTTRod and leave it patina'ed. I've also considered installing the white doors from my 180Q to go along with the white hatch, and make it a police look. :lol: Many options, but I want to get it running first then worry about looks. Stay tuned......

See less See more
#52 ·
3TT3 said:
Perhaps a little less:
"Prophets are not recognised in their own lifetime " /"I give you the only truth" and "Lord forgive them for they know not what they do" attitude might engender a more favorable interaction?
Then again"Ask me if I care ?" :)
You just hit the ball out the park 3TT3, spot on :wink:

#53 ·
Madmax199 said:
CollecTTor said:
Gonzalo1495 said:
He rage quit the forums, lol.
I just don't feel the need to fight and convince people of their inaccurate assumptions when I know they are wrong. Yet they're clinging to their stance, as no one likes to be proven wrong, regardless of that fact that there's no competition going on here.
Exactly how I feel about this forum too. That's why I lurk more and try not to even engage the misconceptions anymore. It's known that you can't teach old dogs new tricks, but it seems that even presenting a new or different idea is taken as an insult (even if better). Not worth it when the collective is set in their ways.

PS: happy to see you're giving the vert the love that it deserves!
But then again...
If you guys that know stuff because you do stuff don't take the fight with those who know stuff because they read it on the interwebs, we who like to read to be able to do, or at least tell someone with hands i stead of carrots and bananas what to do, have to trust those who know stuff they have read because the ones who know what they are doing are just lurking...

That has got to be one of the longest sentences this year :D
But you get my point, let us who have no understanding lurk in the threads, for there is a number, a magi number. An the number is 2020 :twisted:

#54 ·
kane said:
But then again...
If you guys that know stuff because you do stuff don't take the fight with those who know stuff because they read it on the interwebs, we who like to read to be able to do, or at least tell someone with hands i stead of carrots and bananas what to do, have to trust those who know stuff they have read because the ones who know what they are doing are just lurking...

But you get my point, let us who have no understanding lurk in the threads, for there is a number, a magi number. An the number is 2020 :twisted:
It's down to time available to post. Being active in so many forums (between various TT forums, evo forums, Racing forums etc.) the time allocated to posting somewhere or another is limited. I embrace and welcome a good technical banter, but when every other post is turned into childish nonsense perpetrated by the same person, it becomes counterproductive. I love these cars and enjoy talking about them, but it's not that serious or important if it's going to be unpleasantly turned into anything that's not TT related. ;)

#55 ·
Madmax199 said:
kane said:
But then again...

It's down to time available to post. Being active in so many forums (between various TT forums, evo forums, Racing forums etc.) the time allocated to posting somewhere or another is limited. I embrace and welcome a good technical banter, but when every other post is turned into childish nonsense perpetrated by the same person, it becomes counterproductive. I love these cars and enjoy talking about them, but it's not that serious or important if it's going to be unpleasantly turned into anything that's not TT related. ;)
I really wish you would answer my PM about how wide the collector / turbine inlet can be milled too before it becomes diminishing returns or becomes much more likely to crack, I know 47mm is safe and that 48mm is a possibility but I'm still questioning if 49mm or even 50mm would be a possibility. I've measured it and drawn it out and there looks like there's still enough material but a second opinion of someone more knowledgeable would be nice.

#56 ·
TT Tom TT said:
I really wish you would answer my PM about how wide the collector / turbine inlet can be milled too before it becomes diminishing returns or becomes much more likely to crack, I know 47mm is safe and that 48mm is a possibility but I'm still questioning if 49mm or even 50mm would be a possibility. I've measured it and drawn it out and there looks like there's still enough material but a second opinion of someone more knowledgeable would be nice.
You're over thinking things, and it's not related to my project. Start your own thread if you want to discuss porting OEM manifolds.

#57 ·
Madmax199 said:
kane said:
But then again...

[smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=baby.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]

#58 ·
Madmax199 said:
I embrace and welcome a good technical banter, but when every other post is turned into childish nonsense perpetrated by the same person, it becomes counterproductive. I love these cars and enjoy talking about them, but it's not that serious or important if it's going to be unpleasantly turned into anything that's not TT related. ;)
jamman said:
[smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=baby.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif]
Right on time and proving Max's point for all to see. He'll probably follow up this contribution with "Knew they couldn't resist" as if trolling is some skill, or maybe he'll repeat the emoticons. His responses are limited in their predictability. I can tell he missed me over this six months or so, as he's picked up right where we left off, instantly instigating as soon as I resumed posting. :roll:

#60 ·
I embrace and welcome a good technical banter, but when every other post is turned into childish nonsense perpetrated by the same person, it becomes counterproductive.

#61 ·
I replaced the springs on RSS coilovers with 1" shorter springs and increased spring rate from 685 lbs/in to 784 lbs/in (14.0 kg/mm).

This is all based on input from Max. [smiley=cheers.gif] This will compensate for removing the front swaybar, as well as make more room for the wheels and 275 tires in the front so that they aren't poking out past the fender so much. Both helper springs are compressed to roughly the same "height," you can see the added clearance on the unit on the left with the helper and its perch moved up on the threaded body.

One set of wheel adapters arrive tomorrow, which will let me determine clearance needed to order the second pair of adapters for the front of the car. So hopefully next weekend I can get the wheel/tire combo mounted, pics to follow.

#63 ·
Very nice! And the cherry on top of all the other positives from doing this is that you upgraded to Swift springs. That in itself will be big improvement on a track car.

Why are you still keeping the Zero-rate helpers? It's not like they're tenders that will affect the effective spring rate in any way. They're only there to take up slack at full droop. I would just remove them, which will further reduce unsprung weight, and give you even more clearance by moving the perches position even higher. That track car is going to be a beast! ;)

#64 ·
Madmax199 said:
Why are you still keeping the Zero-rate helpers? It's not like they're tenders that will affect the effective spring rate in any way. They're only there to take up slack at full droop. I would just remove them, which will further reduce unsprung weight, and give you even more clearance by moving the perches position even higher. That track car is going to be a beast! ;)
Without them, and the adjusters spun all the way up, the spring still doesn't contact the upper spring perch. 6" would probably be better than the 5" springs. You can see the gap between the top of the threads and the bottom of the new spring.

#65 ·
CollecTTor said:
Madmax199 said:
Without them, and the adjusters spun all the way up, the spring still doesn't contact the upper spring perch. 6" would probably be better than the 5" springs. You can see the gap between the top of the threads and the bottom of the new spring.
Machine a small spacer (aluminum would do) -- or buy a pair (they're all over the net) to take up the slack. Remember mine are short too and I don't run the helpers. I had some laying around in the garage and just used them.

#66 ·
#67 ·
RSS coils installed with new wheels and tires.

Yeah, there's a little poke. :lol: 275/40/17 Nitto NT01 with 17x9.5 Enkei RPF1 in 5x114.3 ET38 with 25mm adapters. With Mk2 ball joints and SPC eccentric top mounts, I ended up with -3.8*/-3.9* camber in the front. Supposed to run a track day on Sunday at Barber Motorsports Park, but forecast is for 100% rain and cold temps. :evil:

#69 ·
Looking proper for track action!

#71 ·
Von Twinzig said:
State side chaps. Verboten over here. :?

VT
And what are we verboten from? :lol:

A quick pic from my wet track day yesterday....

#72 ·
CollecTTor said:
Von Twinzig said:

VT
Not you, us....sticky out wheels and tyres.

VT

#73 ·
Von Twinzig said:
CollecTTor said:
Von Twinzig said:

VT
Not you, us....sticky out wheels and tyres.

VT
I drove like this to the track and on a local mountain twisty hilly section to make sure everything was fine after suspension change and alignment, but other than that, these wheels and tires are track only. What's to stop you guys from switching wheels and tires after your MOT? Would this literally get you pulled over? Maybe not this aggressive, but how quick is the law to measure?

#75 ·
A year has past...perhaps you've had a few other track days.
Any issues with the tire size?
I've only had mine for two months and it came with 225/40 on 18x7.5.
With all your suspension work, do you have a "gap" at the strut cup top?...I've not reviewed all your photos.
TIA

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.