Audi TT Forum banner

New Dashpod Scheme - *** Official Discussion ***

215K views 1K replies 409 participants last post by  vxphan 
#1 ·
As of 1st April 2009 the rules governing the replacement of a faulty Dashpod are changing.

Below is the new criteria for a free replacement:

Have a pre-2004 model year TT, with no replacement parts already fitted to its original dash pod.

Have erratic or incorrect readings on fuel and temperature gauges, as this was the weakness identified in the original dash pod.

Have a full Audi Network service history for their cars.
Further info says:

From April 1 we will have new criteria for goodwill available to drivers of older TT models with faulty dash pods.

This relates to problems with fuel and temperature gauges in pre-2004 model year TTs. Cars built since 20 September 2004 (chassis number 8N 51 009148) do not qualify, because they were built with improvements that reduced the problems significantly.
This info seems to have been passed out to dealers today to take effect from this Wednesday.

I am going to be meeting with my contact at Audi UK in the next week to discuss this in full, so any posts on this thread I can take with me to address the specific points or concerns raised.

Discuss...

Nick

#2 ·
So my car , year 2000 with original dashpod but not full Audi history will not qualify for a free replacement now :?

I guess they are expecting people owning cars 5yrs or older do not go to Audi for servicing so less free work for them :?

Are they suggesting that any part of a service involves possible problems with the dashpod :?

Mark

#4 ·
This is really annoying as the previous owner of my car did not carry on audi dealer servicing, so with this change of policy - means that i am no longer entitled to a replacement of a faulty dash due to the actions of the previous owner.

this is unfair , and to spring it on the general public with 2 days notice is sneaky and underhanded.

#5 ·
conlechi said:
So my car ,year 2000 with original dashpod but not full Audi history will not qualify for a free replacement now :?
Same here.
April 1st? Too much to hope they'll announce "only joking" after lunch that day?? :)

How much does it cost non-free anyway? (and is it easy enough for an independent audi expert - e.g. 4rings - to do?)

#6 ·
I can sort of see Audi's point, but if they are going to implement this, can they release further details on how to repair the dashpod (circuit diags etc), as the problem is most probably one component (or small group of components) which can be replaced by competent electronics people at considerably less cost than the replacement pod.

The problem is well documented and now the dash pod is applicable to an obsolete model, it wouldnt cost Audi anything like what it has cost them for the FOC pods to do this and they would maintain some goodwill from this gesture.

#7 ·
drjam said:
How much does it cost non-free anyway? (and is it easy enough for an independent audi expert - e.g. 4rings - to do?)
I've not got a current price, but we're talking over £600 for the part + labour charge for fitting and coding it all in, so possibly more like £800. Has someone got a price from having paid for it recently?

This can only be done by Audi as they have to code the keys for the car back to the new pod via a system linked in to Audi HQ.

Nick

#9 ·
I am sure i read somewhere in the original watchdog info that that an owner should expect the dashpod to last the life of the car :?

Mark

#10 ·
Well, I just sneak in on Age but I have no idea whether the first owner had everything done with Audi. I've only had 1 long life service since owning it as it was an approved used car. I guess I'll find out on Thursday when they look it up on the system and find out that a non approved dealer emptied the ashtray :x robbin barstewards [smiley=bomb.gif]

#11 ·
Not a good show.

Changing the rules like this is pretty nasty, considering all the mud that was thrown first time round.

Mine has had a problem for a while, and it was on my 'to do' list. There is a moral in there somewhere...

Just phoned Audi Oxford who confirmed the new bulletin - lady on the phone is willing to fight my corner for me with Audi CS as she can see it is a bunch of bull.

Audi - careful with us lot, remember that you need us to pay your wages!

#12 ·
Who on earth has full Audi network service history?

I want my car looked after properly not fettled by a bunch of over-charging incompetents. I object to paying £100+ per hour just for an imprint in my service book.

Call me cynical but is this not just a last ditch attempt by Audi to rid themselves of a costly problem? They make very little profit from those with older models, yet have to absorb the cost of rectifying dashpods. I would presume that as it is a manufacturing fault the dealers then get reimbursed by Audi AG. Perhaps Audi UK are as fed up as the customer with being ripped off by the dealers...

Audi UK are out to minimise costs like everyone else, but in this instance they're also minimising their obligations by freezing out the majority who have more sense than to fill the coffers of the stealers, and at the same time succumb to shoddy workmanship for the privilege.

Cheers

Rich :p

#14 ·
conlechi said:
I am sure i read somewhere in the original watchdog info that that an owner should expect the dashpod to last the life of the car :?

Mark
I agree with you on this but the manufacturers give a car life as x years (say 9 years). Audi have at least done the right thing over the DP issue but they are now saying the cars are aging and they can not carry on ad infinitum. Hence my suggestion of a release of the DP details so they can be repaired by electronics experts.

If I now put in perspective the attitude by Renault to a problem with the 3 speed fan failing twice under warranty and then again within 24 months (20k miles), the refused point blank to make any goodwill gesture on what should also be a "life of the car" component. I would never give Renault another penny.

#15 ·
There is a big difference between wear and tear problem and a design problem. And it seems the Dashpod is a design or badly manufactured problem. So why should we pay for something that was badly designed in the first place? ???? :twisted: :twisted:

Do they think they stand a chance if we all get together and take them to court for that?????? :twisted:

#16 ·
Nem said:
facefirst said:
After 5 years a car is out of the timeframe which they expect it to be used and serviced.
So why bother with a 12 year anti-corrosion warranty? :roll:

#18 ·
Nem said:
After 5 years a car is out of the timeframe which they expect it to be used and serviced.
What are Audi saying here? The implication is that a car over 5 years old will not be used or serviced.

Well if they think that why do they insist on an 'Audi network' service record? Surely any full service record will suffice to convince them the car has otherwise been maintained according to schedule? Not only that, how does a service of any sort carried out within the network or not impact on the life expectancy of a dashpod?

cheers

Rich :p

#19 ·
I'll just clarify to say that it is my interpretation about the over 5 year timeframe. The way I understand it is that the number of cars which Audi will continue to see back for a main dealer service will drop below a level after 5 years from purchase. At this time they will stop putting work into resolving issue and turn focus onto the newer or more current models in the range.

I'm sure this is the same for any car manufacturer, not just Audi.

When I recieved this information it was actually meant to be "good news" that they are going to continue to offer any free replacement pods at all. It was then it was briefly mentioned about not supporting cars after 5 years...

very few manufactures would continue to support cars of this age
Nick

#20 ·
rustyintegrale said:
Surely any full service record will suffice to convince them the car has otherwise been maintained according to schedule? Not only that, how does a service of any sort carried out within the network or not impact on the life expectancy of a dashpod?
Exactly.
I could understand it if other electronic/interior work had been carried out that might affect the dashpod. But the oil and filters have been changed by someone who wasn't wearing platinum-trimmed Audi overalls? How exactly does that affect the dashpod?

#21 ·
rustyintegrale said:
Because it's good marketing, and something they are confident they won't have to pay up on. It doesn't cover stone chips or joins. So this is on the off chance that your car starts burning through from the inside? Safe bet on Audi I say...

#22 ·
Nem said:
I'll just clarify to say that it is my interpretation about the over 5 year timeframe. The way I understand it is that the number of cars which Audi will continue to see back for a main dealer service will drop below a level after 5 years from purchase. At this time they will stop putting work into resolving issue and turn focus onto the newer or more current models in the range.

I'm sure this is the same for any car manufacturer, not just Audi.

When I recieved this information it was actually meant to be "good news" that they are going to continue to offer any free replacement pods at all. It was then it was briefly mentioned about not supporting cars after 5 years...

very few manufactures would continue to support cars of this age
Nick
In that case they should allow third parties, like APS for example, access to the dashpods so they can offer the service that Audi feel is no longer their responsibility, but at a rate that reflects the age of these cars. If Audi are washing their hands off us completely why should those still using the network for servicing continue to pay the exhorbitant rates - especially if they're to be ignored when push comes to shove. They can't have it both ways.

cheers

rich :p

#23 ·
what % of cars does this happen to?

mine is a 2000 model and has not been changed???
everything appears fine.....for now!!!!

#24 ·
rustyintegrale said:
In that case they should allow third parties, like APS for example, access to the dashpods so they can offer the service that Audi feel is no longer their responsibility...
That's a good point. Is it even legal? Surely EU law has something to say about preventing competition by not allowing anyone else to do work like this? Any lawyers about?

#25 ·
Dash said:
rustyintegrale said:
Because it's good marketing...
Absolutely correct. But then standing by your product when you've already admitted liability for the faults is better, even if that marketing is long-term and largely subliminal - it shows responsibility, loyalty and a willingness to put right something that should never have failed in the first place.

A manufacturer that can turn a recall into a marketing opportunity through being seen to correct a wrong, is one to be respected and trusted. One that turns a blind eye and hopes the problem goes away is best avoided. Just remember how long it has taken Fiat to rebuild after burying their heads in the sand over their corrosion problems in the 70s. Some, like Lancia never recovered.

Cheers

rich :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.