Switch to full site
Discuss all things to do with the MK1 TT 8N (1999-2006)
Post a reply

Mk1 TT engine sounds

23 May 2020, 20:25

Hi all,

So I’ve got a mk1 TT 2001 on 140k miles.

Been driving it around without any issues today but suddenly as I put my foot on the accelerator I can hear a really strange noise coming from somewhere.

At first I thought it was the exhaust blowing, almost sounds like a tractor!! But seems like it’s more coming from the engine. It’s only when I touch the accelerator, as soon as I press down further and hold it the sound goes

I noticed the oil was quite low, could this be causing it maybe? But as it’s only when I accelerate so I’m really not too sure what it could be

If anyone would know anything that would be great!

Re: Mk1 TT engine sounds

23 May 2020, 20:30

Have you changed the induction at all. Ever since I popped an s2000 pipe on, I get a hi-pitched almost metallic whine at about 2500rpm that stops the moment I ease my foot off. Just a thought.

23 May 2020, 21:03

Hiya, no I haven’t changed that. Could be worth changing it even if that isn’t the issue. Thanks for the suggestion!

23 May 2020, 21:12

Hi, What's the strange noise, is it a rattle, a vibration, knock, rubbing sound.
I assume the oil level has been topped up to normal.
When was the oil/filter last replaced?
Hoggy. :D

23 May 2020, 21:28

It is a strange sound! Sounds more like a splutter. I haven’t topped the oil up since the noise has started as shops are closed. But I did a full oil change and service about a month or 2 ago. Noticed a small amount of oil leaking on the ground, but literally a couple of drips a days

23 May 2020, 21:58

DavronMorgan wrote:It is a strange sound! Sounds more like a splutter. I haven’t topped the oil up since the noise has started as shops are closed. But I did a full oil change and service about a month or 2 ago. Noticed a small amount of oil leaking on the ground, but literally a couple of drips a days

Hi, Plenty of supermarkets etc are open & sell oil of suitable spec.

23 May 2020, 22:18

Just had breakdown out and have said it is likely to be a turbo pipe / boost leak. Didn’t really say if it was drivable though. If it was a pipe that has blown would it be drivable still by putting up with the noise for now until I can get it to a garage?

23 May 2020, 22:35

Hi, If it is a boost leak, power will be reduced but will be O.K. to drive sensibly. Check all accessible hose clips etc. are secure.
Post a reply