Switch to full site
Discuss all things to do with the MK1 TT 8N (1999-2006)
Post a reply

Car choice

26 May 2020, 18:07

Hello all I'm after some opinions and advice I've recently just purchased a 1.8t roadster 225 and for the past couple of days found myself looking at a 3.2, wondering if I've made the right decision. Has anyone else had both before and can give me any pro's and cons to both cars (as in one car might give me more hassle than the other will?), or is it a no brainer to get the bigger 3.2? Any advice is welcome!

Thank you.

Re: Car choice

26 May 2020, 18:14

Hi, Welcome to the TTF.
If you want to increase the performance keep the 225. Drive a 3.2 & see if you prefer the linear power or the turbo boost.
My standard reply for would be Mk1 owners

Service history is very important.
Cambelt/water pump 75K miles or 5 years which ever comes first.
Dash instruments (dashpod) read correctly & coolant temp reaches 90 within a couple of miles & stays there.
If it has xenon headlights, make sure the headlight washers work, MOT fail. N/A in UK now.

3.2 V6 no turbo or cambelt to worry about, so should be more reliable & a nicer exhaust note.
V6 Chain wear can be checked using VagCom, very expensive to replace.
DSG may be weak link, unless you can find a manual. Expensive to repair, but probably no more expensive than a manuals clutch.
Check no delay when pulling away & no juddering when reversing slowly while turning up an incline or into a tight parking space.

Don't rush into it. A good TT is a wonderful car, a bad un can be a money pit.
Plenty of good uns out there, but probably more bad uns, so as I said don't rush into it.
A bad TT, could be the most expensive car you've ever bought.

Roadsters, check roof operation thorougly & carpets for damp, especially in the rear. Roof drains block easily & damp can cause lot of future probs in rest of car.

I will move your post to the MK1 section.
Hoggy. :D

26 May 2020, 19:01

Lovely, thank you for that Hoggy. Currently my roof isn't leaking (touch wood), however I do have a little oil leak on the right hand side some where, I have changed the rocker cover gasket and cleaned that area with degreaser and its still clean so far. So that will require further investigation.

I went out and invested in an OBD2 which then told me the coolant temperature stat and MAF sensor is shot, and confirmed a misfire. I have since sorted the coolant stat and misfire I'm yet to buy a new MAF sensor.

Yes, the aim is to enhance the performance of the car along with the handling as I've heard these cars can make great track day cars which is what I'm hoping to turn mine into, I just didn't or don't want to spends thousands on the car only for some one to say I should have gone down the route of a 3.2 because it would of been the better option. Thats what I'd like to find out.

26 May 2020, 19:32

Hi, It will cost £££££s to really increase the performance of the 3.2 , whereas £400 will make a vast difference to the 225.

26 May 2020, 19:40

Matt Bond 225 wrote:Lovely, thank you for that Hoggy. Currently my roof isn't leaking (touch wood), however I do have a little oil leak on the right hand side some where, I have changed the rocker cover gasket and cleaned that area with degreaser and its still clean so far. So that will require further investigation.

I went out and invested in an OBD2 which then told me the coolant temperature stat and MAF sensor is shot, and confirmed a misfire. I have since sorted the coolant stat and misfire I'm yet to buy a new MAF sensor.

Yes, the aim is to enhance the performance of the car along with the handling as I've heard these cars can make great track day cars which is what I'm hoping to turn mine into, I just didn't or don't want to spends thousands on the car only for some one to say I should have gone down the route of a 3.2 because it would of been the better option. Thats what I'd like to find out.

Hi, you mention your hoping to turn your car into a track day car, this thought needs some serious consideration as to what you would like to achieve.

If you've never competed before in any form of Racing, and also never been on a track then a track day or two will be a great new experience for you, however it will wreck your road car unless with respect you pootle round!

You may want to do more track days if and when you did one, and it;s here where you'll start to spend money lots of it to make the car better because it will not be good once you start pushing properly. A good track car will be very uncomfortable and impractical used on the road. Your car or a 3.2 version totally stock will last a long time if in good mechanical condition, but it will need much more constant attention and money spent to get it to handle well on a race circuit.

Maybe your best having a circuit day in a school car to get this out your system?

R

26 May 2020, 19:42

Hoggy wrote:Hi, It will cost £££££s to really increase the performance of the 3.2 , whereas £400 will make a vast difference to the 225.

This is just power though, not handling or braking. I'm sure the 3.2 is a heavier car also, not sure how many more Kg's?
R

26 May 2020, 20:22

I do a few a track days every year in all sorts of cars from a Clio 197 all the way through to a Ferrari 458 and the one I was really looking forward to was the Renault 2000 next month however covid-19 has put a holt on that. So driving around a track isn't anything new to me, however owning my very own track car will be different.

I am trying to do this on a budget (which I have a feeling will most likely go out the window when I get into it). I have seen some builds at 400+whp but really struggle putting that power down and to be honest with you the car feels quick in some aspects but in others it feels like it could benefit from another 100hp.

Also I have a golf 2.0tdi as a daily drive so the tt will only be a weekend car and something to get some enjoyment out of if you see what I mean?

26 May 2020, 20:28

With that all being said though if you know of any decent track day tuitions I'd definitely look into it. The better my driving is the safer myself and everyone else will be around me :D
Post a reply