Audi TT Forum banner

Buying a Mk1 tt 240 sport

795 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Bethell 
#1 ·
Hello
As per the title I'm looking at buying a Quattro sport but new to Audi and the tt I'd like information on what to look out for

Any info would be appropriated

Cheers

#2 ·
Hi Bethell, Welcome to the TTF.
I will move your post into the MK1 section you should get more replies.

240 is probably the most sought after as a keeper & a goodun will command the higher price.Pole positions are essential.
My standard reply for would be Mk1 owners

Service history is very important.
Cambelt/water pump 75K miles or 5 years which ever comes first.
Dash instruments (dashpod) read correctly & coolant temp reaches 90 within a couple of miles & stays there.
It has xenon headlights, so make sure the headlight washers work, MOT fail. N/A jn UK now.
Don't rush into it. A good TT is a wonderful car, a badun can be a money pit.
Plenty of good uns out there, but probably more bad uns, so as I said don't rush into it.
A bad TT, could be the most expensive car you've ever bought.

Hoggy. :D

#5 ·
A QS is a collectors car... why do you want one over a 2-3k TT225? These cars are really flexible when it comes to mapping. A QS has the same filter, intake, intercooler, fuel pump, injectors, manifolds, head, block, turbo and exhaust engine as a BAM 225 and AMK 210.
The only difference is a lighter / weaker clutch and I think some of the gearing is slightly different to get under 6 secs 0-60.

If you get a Revo stage 1 map the 210,225 and 240 ps variants all have the same potential power.

Of course if you really want a QS then pay the premium..

#7 ·
Bethell said:
Thanks
Iv seen a red one on internet at 6.8k with over 130k miles then a black one with low miles at almost 10k , like most cars they need to be used so thinking of viewing the red one
Hi, Red/Black would be my only colour choice, but finding a goodun could take a while.
Hoggy. :D

#9 ·
I like the idea of them being a collectors car with limited numbers available, I figured I could enjoy the car without losing loads in depreciation. It would be a Sunday car but also something I would not worry about doing a long trip in , say to Europe.

Thanks for the input

#10 ·
Bethell said:
I like the idea of them being a collectors car with limited numbers available, I figured I could enjoy the car without losing loads in depreciation. It would be a Sunday car but also something I would not worry about doing a long trip in , say to Europe.

Thanks for the input
Thats the right way to look at it - low to no depreciation whilst you enjoy - if you stump up the initial premium and buy right.

Yes you can make a 225 into a qS clone and better performing - but the fact is it isn't a qS and the money getting that way is lost and the depreciation remains - which is why there are so many nicely modded 225 being broken for parts.

DC

#11 ·
Check for rust on the inner wings behind the front wheels, seen a good few with this problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.