Audi TT Forum banner

Track project *still stripping*

69K views 581 replies 60 participants last post by  1781cc 
#1 ·
Hi, new here and newish to TT's (son had one some years ago when he lived at home).

After a fair bit or faffing about looking at cars who's owners seemed incapable of telling the truth over the phone or were just too stupid to see the problems with them, I Just picked up a pretty honest '02 225 for cheap money.

Not been messed with. Reasonable mileage. Solid black (easier to repair than metallics). Recent water pump and belts service. 4 new tyres all the same make and a known brand (what is it with Chinese tyres on these things?) Paintwork has been lashed by a thousand carwashes - just needs mopping, but on the whole it should make a decent base for a track car.

Bunch of my car mates on my other forum reckon I'm nuts having failed to steer me down the traditional Golf/Clio route. Yes it's never going to be a light thing without going berserk and the plan is to keep to a reasonable budget this time, but I think there's scope to build something interesting and have some fun. It won't be precious and it'll have to live outside as the garage already houses my main toy.

Looks like this place has a lot of knowledge and info related to making these cars work. Looking forward to playing my part.

So, anybody got a basic shopping list of stuff that works on track that I can work through in stages? Anyone got a decent Betleys going spare?

Thanks

VT

See less See more
#581 ·
Well, life moves on and so has the TT. Had some fun and met some good people, but life has become too busy to do the thing properly and I'm not wired to do things half-hearted. The final "really" moment came when the cost of keeping it on the road each year became double the 911 for a car a tenth of the value. A trailer would have been next, but then I need a suitable tow car and frankly I couldn't be arsed. I'll drop in to the motorsports section from time to time and if I can be of any help just pm me.

Have fun guys and stay safe.

VT

#582 ·
Shame to see you go mate, hope its found a good new home with someone who will carry on your good work. A lot of what you posted was a good help for me getting mine off the ground, so really appreciate your efforts.

Enjoy the next phase of your driving enjoyment!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.