Audi TT Forum banner

Zerocake's Aviator Grey 225

39K views 224 replies 77 participants last post by  YELLOW_TT 
#1 ·

I though it was about time i made a build thread so everything is in one place and not spread around the forum.

Lets start at the beginning... I wanted a caddy van. I have a 2008 Passat that just isn't big enough inside to carry stuff around for work. Work being Bespoke car audio and air suspension. So i was browsing the other VAG section on Edition 38 looking for caddy vans and saw an advert for an Aviator Grey TT and instaly fell in love. Decided i didn't need a van and bought the TT. Still have the Passat and still need a van but now also have a TT.

------------------------------

The TT is a November 2000 1.8T 225 Quattro with 118,000 miles on the clock. Some photos from the advert...

Modifications carried out by previous owners include:
ToyoSport Decat
Custom Rear Tie Bars
AP Front Coilovers and FK Rear Springs (Very short)
Badger 5 TIP
ITG Air Filter
Forge 007P Valve
N249 Bypass
V6 Front Bumper
V6 Rear Diffuser
Facelift Front Grille
Genuine Audi Speedline 2-piece 19" Alloys

It has a nice selection of modifications but also a nice selection of issues which i have now nearly fixed. Looking through the service history and receipts it appears for the first 8 years of its life it was serviced at an Audi main dealer in the Midlands but then found itself down in some east London garages for a few years. And that's where things started slipping.

Cosmetically the car was looked after but mechanically it was not. Nearly every sensor needed changing, MAF issues, the company who replaced the turbo only put one nut on the downpipe to turbo gasket. Lots of the engine trim was missing. 80% of the oil return and breather pipes under the inlet manifold were either missing or perished. Rocker cover gasket was perished and leaking. But big things like clutch and timing belt were carried out.

First things i did was an oil and filter change, plus an inspection. Then replaced the leaking rocket cover gasket and while that was off replace inlet manifold gasket and throttle body gasket plus changed the header tank for a nice white new one. I also polished the charge pipe and inlet manifold too. I also changed all the oil breather and return pipes and new dipstick tube ect.

The alarm siren was not working as the batteries had leaked acid all over the circuit board. Purchased the revised version from Germany and fitted that. Works fine now.

The headlight washer jets were not working, took the front bumper off and found the pipes blocked off. Turns out the spray nozzles were cracked and too much pressure is lost for them to fully extend. Also noticed alot of bad plastic welding on the inside of the bumper from a crash.

Replaced the brake pedal sensor for absolutely no reason haha. (green plug)

The front break discs needed replacing and the passenger rear disc was warped from a binding caliper. So all new discs and pads plus a new calliper.

I have striped the rear seats and fittings out the car and applied a 4mm coating of Silent Coat sound deadening ready for the upcoming competition audio build.

That's the last 5 months up to making this thread. I may have missed one or two things but that pretty much covers it. There's still more to do. Sort out the bodywork as there's a few tiny dents and stone chips. Remap and some engine mods. But first i'll sort out the issues and go from there.

See less See more
#8 ·
... lovely looking motor my friend- and good on you for resurrecting it from a life of neglect ...

... I'm slightly surprised you've bought an already modified example- it's pretty clear you have a rough idea what you're doing and I'd have thought you could have found an old 'rot box' cheaper, and then revived that and added air-ride etc ...

... will be interested to see where you go next with it though! ...

Steve
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

#10 ·
The Blue Bandit said:
... lovely looking motor my friend- and good on you for resurrecting it from a life of neglect ...

... I'm slightly surprised you've bought an already modified example- it's pretty clear you have a rough idea what you're doing and I'd have thought you could have found an old 'rot box' cheaper, and then revived that and added air-ride etc ...

... will be interested to see where you go next with it though! ...

Steve
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Tbh i bought it on a whim. I didn't even look around at other TT's as i was really looking at caddy vans. The colour, wheels and overall condition sold it for me instantly. I was totally expecting the usual 1.8T issues and knowing it would need money spending on it.

I'll be changing the wheels eventually, no doubt adding air as its what i do for a living. Just as and when i have time to work on my own car.

:)

#18 ·
Very nice. Looking forward to seeing the audio install ;-)

#21 ·
RSSTT said:
I love this car and too saw it on the E38 classifieds 8)

One question I have is, where/how did you purchase the siren? I too have the same issue but seen that a new siren costs a fair bit.
Thank you :) Lots of people were pretty upset they missed buying it haha.

I bought the siren from this seller: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/elonlinehandel/ for £21 with free P&P.

I searched the german version of ebay, as prices are generally a lot cheaper.

mullum said:
Very nice. Looking forward to seeing the audio install ;-)
Thank you :)

As for the audio itself i'll be using a single Gladen Audio SQL12 subwoofer in a 2cuft ported box tuned to around 34hz. Cabin gain will raise the tuning slightly. The amplifier will be a Diamond Audio 1000.2 D6. The system will be producing around 1000watts RMS depending entirely on voltage.

For the front stage i'll be using some Gladen Audio mids and tweets (haven't decided which yet). I'll make some custom A pillar pods for the tweeters. They will be amplified with a small digital amplifier and processor.

As for the box it will be located behind the front seats. It will be secured in place with a steel frame that will bolt into the original seat belt locations on the floor. Heres a very simple 3D mock up...

It may seem overkill but the car will be competing in the European Multi Media Association (EMMA) audio events around the UK. And having the sub box attached to the car like this will give it great sound inside the car plus make it very safe. The last thing you want is the box and sub joining you in the front in a crash.

I'll be doing some more work on the audio install tomorrow when i get some time. Hopefully have the box built and some other stuff mocked up.

#22 ·
I want to do my own design with the rear seat mounting locations. A brace bar but not the OEM QS version as i can make my own for cheaper and it be better.

I purchased the OEM bar mounting fixings from TPS as you can see below.

I'm guessing the OEM bar has threaded bits at each end that the bolt screws into. Not an issue i can replicate that on my bar design.

As for the bar itself, its going to be an aluminium round tube with a 60mm Diam x 10mm Wall x 950mm Long. I'll then weld the threaded mounting plate at each end that will attach to the OEM fixings. And finally i'll polish the bar.

--------------------------------

If anyone is interested in prices for these parts, i have listed them below.

#15 - 8N8 861 699 - £85.34
#16 - 8N8 880 121 - £59.00 each
#17 - 8N8 860 173 - £5.06 each
#18 - N 021 281 5 - 0.68p each
#19 - N 907 771 01 - 0.69p each
#20 - 4A9 809 237 - £4.16 each
#21 - N 106 209 01 - 0.66p each

Prices may vary a little depending on discount though.
Plus #20 isnt really needed as you should already have those plates.

#24 ·
zerocake said:
I want to do my own design with the rear seat mounting locations. A brace bar but not the OEM QS version as i can make my own for cheaper and it be better.

I purchased the OEM bar mounting fixings from TPS as you can see below.

I'm guessing the OEM bar has threaded bits at each end that the bolt screws into. Not an issue i can replicate that on my bar design.

As for the bar itself, its going to be an aluminium round tube with a 60mm Diam x 10mm Wall x 950mm Long. I'll then weld the threaded mounting plate at each end that will attach to the OEM fixings. And finally i'll polish the bar.

--------------------------------

If anyone is interested in prices for these parts, i have listed them below.

#15 - 8N8 861 699 - £85.34
#16 - 8N8 880 121 - £59.00 each
#17 - 8N8 860 173 - £5.06 each
#18 - N 021 281 5 - 0.68p each
#19 - N 907 771 01 - 0.69p each
#20 - 4A9 809 237 - £4.16 each
#21 - N 106 209 01 - 0.66p each

Prices may vary a little depending on discount though.
Plus #20 isnt really needed as you should already have those plates.
That's some good info there and a good plan!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.