Audi TT Forum banner

Frozen Windows Again

44K views 431 replies 92 participants last post by  Harm_1 
#1 ·
It feels like the start of winter has arrived in Scotland and low and behold my drivers window was frozen this morning and whilst the door opened the regulator wasn't happy and the door wouldn't shut.

Earlier in the year I had the "fix" of cutting the seals which ruined them and they had to be replaced.

I don't plan on getting them cut again but wondered if anyone is aware of a newer fix that doesn't involve cutting the seals.

#2 ·
My car is in for its first service on Tuesday 7th Nov and I've asked if there is a fix for this very problem. The answer I got was that they would look at the " window frame seals". I know that this is not the problem and will press them for a correct fix. Will keep in touch.

#5 ·
AFAIK, there is a 'seal' within the door cavity that presses against the outside of the door glass. That 'seal' has a rubber upstand and it is this upstand that causes water to collect in/on the 'seal'.

The 'fix' is to cut away the rubber upstand.

My view is that this 'fix' is best described as a bodge. It's certainly not a properly engineered solution for the problem.

#7 ·
I don't think any fix is going to stop ice freezing to the glass and stopping the window open. It's just nature.

I have yet to have a problem after simply pressing the window around the edges to crack the ice seal and then it opens first time. On a sharp frost I also use a bottle of tap-hot water and squirt it round the edge to melt the ice and soften the rubber a little.

#10 ·
brittan said:
forthay said:
It feels like the start of winter has arrived in Scotland and low and behold my drivers window was frozen this morning and whilst the door opened the regulator wasn't happy and the door wouldn't shut.

Earlier in the year I had the "fix" of cutting the seals which ruined them and they had to be replaced.

I don't plan on getting them cut again but wondered if anyone is aware of a newer fix that doesn't involve cutting the seals.
Were the new seals cut before they were fitted?
I had a look and I think they were cut before fitting but regardless I wouldn't be having them cut again.

#12 ·
Could you smear and thin coating of something like Vaseline along the rubber? Not sure the feeezing point of it but if it's better than water then it might keep it moving when it falls below freezing?

Never tried it but just an idea

#13 ·
You're most likely right, in fact I think someone tried and ended up with smeared windows.

The other suggestion is gummi pflege but getting into the right place is a challenge.

#14 ·
forthay said:
You're most likely right, in fact I think someone tried and ended up with smeared windows.

The other suggestion is gummi pflege but getting into the right place is a challenge.
Ah is it the bottom seal that is freezing? I was guessing it was the top rubber hence the smear if Vaseline would only be on the very top edge but yes could lead to a messy window

#15 ·
We could do with finding a suitable, thin plastic trim tool to run down the rubber seal.
Another tip is to just gently pull the door handle first. If the window isn't frozen up the it should drop without opening the door. If it doesn't drop then you can consider other options - like trying the passenger door or pouring warm water on the seals.
Probably better than opening the door and then finding that you can't close it, as happened to me last winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 ·
KevC said:
I don't think any fix is going to stop ice freezing to the glass and stopping the window open. It's just nature.

I have yet to have a problem after simply pressing the window around the edges to crack the ice seal and then it opens first time. On a sharp frost I also use a bottle of tap-hot water and squirt it round the edge to melt the ice and soften the rubber a little.
As above :) Even on a minus 10 last winter mine opened easily enough after a dousing of warm tap water. I rarely scrape off frost or use de-icer sprays, I always fling a pan of warm (not hot as you could crack the glass) water over the car. Windows cleared in seconds and I'm good to go. I do spray the washer nozzles with de-icer though, as they will freeze up if you don't. I also think coating the rubber seals with Gummi Pfledge definitely helps and it stops any creaking noises.

#17 ·
Edinburra said:
My car is in for its first service on Tuesday 7th Nov and I've asked if there is a fix for this very problem. The answer I got was that they would look at the " window frame seals". I know that this is not the problem and will press them for a correct fix. Will keep in touch.
Decided, after reading the advice and comments on this topic to leave well alone and not involve the dealer and adopt the method suggested by Forthay, de-icer and a plastic card. Seems to be simple and effective. Thank you..

#20 ·
Pat27 said:
Had my car in for a service today and asked them to investigate the frozen windows issue. The dealer contacted Audi UK who came back with a highly technical solution to the problem .........Pour hot water onto the window !!!
Poor response from Audi, surely they are more concerned than that?

#21 ·
Pat27 said:
Had my car in for a service today and asked them to investigate the frozen windows issue. The dealer contacted Audi UK who came back with a highly technical solution to the problem .........Pour hot water onto the window !!!
Did you ask them what you do if you are away from home and don't have access to any hot water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
Pat27 said:
I'm surprised they had the bare face to say that to you, that's shocking.

What if you're not at home and/or have no ready access to warm water?

My wife won't drive the TT in the winter as she says it needlessly exposes her to potential safety issues if she needed to get into the car quickly, close and lock the door.

I'll have another run at this with Audi UK and the local dealer. Surely they can come up with a proper solution.

#23 ·
Took my TT in on Friday ,they said that there is a solution to the problem and bring it back tomorrow.What they did was put some very special grease on the seals that will stop it freezing to the glass and doesn't leave marks .I didn't think it a long term fix and thats what i told the service manager but hes sure it will fix it.Lets see what the weekend brings.

#25 ·
For anyone wanting to push their dealer / Audi on this I think there is a safety problem here.
If the windows freeze, the door doesn't close
If the door doesn't close and you drive the car the car get's panicked
If the car gets panicked it applies the handbrake as soon as your speed is <~5mph
This causes the car to come to an abrupt stop in town driving with no warning to driver or other road users

You can release the handbrake and move off again but it isn't the sort of thing you want your car to do to you when the roads are icy.

Of course the solution is to wait 10 minutes until the windows de-ice fully but who does that....

#26 ·
EvilTed said:
For anyone wanting to push their dealer / Audi on this I think there is a safety problem here.
If the windows freeze, the door doesn't close
If the door doesn't close and you drive the car the car get's panicked
If the car gets panicked it applies the handbrake as soon as your speed is <~5mph
This causes the car to come to an abrupt stop in town driving with no warning to driver or other road users

You can release the handbrake and move off again but it isn't the sort of thing you want your car to do to you when the roads are icy.

Of course the solution is to wait 10 minutes until the windows de-ice fully but who does that....
The one and only time I opened the door without the window dropping (first time it was frosty after I bought it) I drove half way to the dealer without the door fully shut. Wasn't a problem at all, just a few bongs that the door was still open. Whilst sitting at traffic lights I tried the window and it worked so I closed the door and carried on. Never had a problem since as I don't pull the door if the window hasn't dropped. Just needs a bit more pressing on the glass to crack the ice and it's fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.