Audi TT Forum banner

New Tyres

65K views 105 replies 52 participants last post by  Pugliese 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am looking to replace the tyres on my 2016 Audi TTS. I have been very happy with the performance of the Hankook tyres that came with the car and would ideally like to replace like for like. I have been looking on a number of different tyre websites and I am wondering what is the difference between the 245/35/ZR19 93Y and the 245/35/ZR19 93Y XL.

Thanks

#3 ·
Personally, I thought the Hankooks my TTS came were God awful. I replaced them when only half worn. Noisy, poor wet grip and prone to aquaplaning on cold roads. I replaced them with Continental Sport Contact 6 tyres, which frankly should be standard on the TTS. To put mid range tyres on such a car is very cheap of Audi. The Continentals proved to be excellent and in another league to the Hankook. I've recently changed again, as the Continentals dropped below 3mm after 22,000 miles use... as I knew I'd be ordering a new car to replace the TTS in only a few months time, I decided to drop my budget and since I found a really good deal on Pirelli P Zeros, I went for those. Fuel consumption is slightly higher and wet grip is almost as good as the Contis, but they do offer a better steering feel and are quiet, with strong dry grip. At any rate, what ever goes onto a TTS, don't fit those awful Hankooks!

#4 ·
My original potenza were shredded in 7 months.

Went for rainsports then which I got just over a yr out of

Went with rainsport again this time they're a little noisier in dry but handle great in wet and dry

#5 ·
Mark Pred said:
Personally, I thought the Hankooks my TTS came were God awful. I replaced them when only half worn. Noisy, poor wet grip and prone to aquaplaning on cold roads. I replaced them with Continental Sport Contact 6 tyres, which frankly should be standard on the TTS. To put mid range tyres on such a car is very cheap of Audi. The Continentals proved to be excellent and in another league to the Hankook. I've recently changed again, as the Continentals dropped below 3mm after 22,000 miles use... as I knew I'd be ordering a new car to replace the TTS in only a few months time, I decided to drop my budget and since I found a really good deal on Pirelli P Zeros, I went for those. Fuel consumption is slightly higher and wet grip is almost as good as the Contis, but they do offer a better steering feel and are quiet, with strong dry grip. At any rate, what ever goes onto a TTS, don't fit those awful Hankooks!
Thank you for your reply.

I am now considering the Continental Contact Sport 6 as an option based on your recommendation. Could you tell me if the Tyres you have on your car are AO, RO1 or RO2 rated.

Also, I can only find the 245/35R19 93Y XL as an option for these Tyres. Did you manage to get the standard load as an option for these Tyres?

Thanks again!

#7 ·
@scott_tts

Agree entirely with Mark Pred, and what he said re the Conti Sportcontact 6's.

Swapped the (supplied-with) Bridgestone S001's with Conti's on the TTS, and haven't looked back.

My local dealer advised RO2, but that said, I still don't understand the difference between AO, RO1 and RO2!

#9 ·
XL designation means that side walls of the tyre are reinforced and this is recomended for 19 an 20 inch on TT.
Michelin Pilot Sport are tip tires same as Continental Sport contact.
AO menas Audi Original - tread is somewhat adjustwd by Audi
RO are Audi adjusted tires for quattro drive.

This O through time may get further evolution 1 or 2 as thread is further adjusted and than you get RO1, RO2 or AO1...

#10 ·
scott_tts said:
Mark Pred said:
Thank you for your reply.

I am now considering the Continental Contact Sport 6 as an option based on your recommendation. Could you tell me if the Tyres you have on your car are AO, RO1 or RO2 rated.

Also, I can only find the 245/35R19 93Y XL as an option for these Tyres. Did you manage to get the standard load as an option for these Tyres?

Thanks again!
Those were on my last TTS, fitted a year and half ago, but I'll be fitting them again to my current TTS when the Hankooks get low enough, which can't come soon enough! I did however manage to find the email receipt I had for them, description given was Continental SportContact 6 245/35 ZR19 (93Y) XL AO. I paid £832 fitted and balanced. Great tyres!

#11 ·
nvarga said:
XL designation means that side walls of the tyre are reinforced and this is recomended for 19 an 20 inch on TT.
Michelin Pilot Sport are tip tires same as Continental Sport contact.
AO menas Audi Original - tread is somewhat adjustwd by Audi
RO are Audi adjusted tires for quattro drive.

This O through time may get further evolution 1 or 2 as thread is further adjusted and than you get RO1, RO2 or AO1...
A0 tyres are fitted as standard and is a marketing exercise, nothing to do with tyre tread adjustment.

RO tyres are compound specific and have a narrower shoulder than standard, nothing to do with Quattro drive.

Best all round tyres for the TT are Good Year Eagles imo...

#12 ·
+ 1 to ASY's (Goodyear F1 mk3). Had them once - great rubbers. Now I have P-zeros and, albeit not as awful as Conti Sportcontact 3, they are still a noise factory. Other option that I'm taking into account is falken azenis fk510.

#16 ·
I'm on my third set of tyres.

First were stock Bridgestones which were fine and grippy in all conditions, but poor on road noise.

Then I got a set of Goodyear Asy 3's which were better grip and slightly better on the noise front.

A couple of months ago I stumped-up the extra to try a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 245/35 R19 Y (93) at £189.85 per tyre from Blackcircles.

I'm not disappointed! I'd say that they have slightly better grip than the Asy 3's (not much in it).

Not only are the Michelins quieter on the road (the Euro specs suggested they would be slightly noisier than the Goodyears) but from the moment I got them it felt like the ride improved markedly - it was like I'd got new suspension in with the deal!

They are more expensive, but the advertising suggests that I might get up to 5000 extra miles out of the set over other tyres. That remains to be seen, but whatever happens these will be my next set of tyres.

#17 ·
Blackhole128 said:

First were stock Bridgestones which were fine and grippy in all conditions, but poor on road noise.

Then I got a set of Goodyear Asy 3's which were better grip and slightly better on the noise front.

A couple of months ago I stumped-up the extra to try a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S 245/35 R19 Y (93) at £189.85 per tyre from Blackcircles.

I'm not disappointed! I'd say that they have slightly better grip than the Asy 3's (not much in it).

Not only are the Michelins quieter on the road (the Euro specs suggested they would be slightly noisier than the Goodyears) but from the moment I got them it felt like the ride improved markedly - it was like I'd got new suspension in with the deal!

They are more expensive, but the advertising suggests that I might get up to 5000 extra miles out of the set over other tyres. That remains to be seen, but whatever happens these will be my next set of tyres.
Would you say they are better than the Conti contact 6? also do the Michelin come with a rim protector? I like the fact the Conti's seem to have a big rim protector on? I'm looking to change all 4 tyres and really don't know which ones to go for? I have the Hankooks on at the mo. On the TTS is it best to go for RO1 or RO2?

#18 ·
stumardy said:
Would you say they are better than the Conti contact 6? ?
I said this 3 posts ago! [smiley=book2.gif] To expand a little, probably a little better if all the tests are to be believed, and will almost certainly last longer. I don't rate the rim protection that highly on them though. No idea about the Contis in that respect :?:

#19 ·
stumardy said:
Blackhole128 said:

Would you say they are better than the Conti contact 6? also do the Michelin come with a rim protector? I like the fact the Conti's seem to have a big rim protector on? I'm looking to change all 4 tyres and really don't know which ones to go for? I have the Hankooks on at the mo. On the TTS is it best to go for RO1 or RO2?
I've never had Contis so I can't comment on them.

The Michelin do have rim protection, but since having them I've managed to badly scuff my near-side rear and my offside front!

I've found that rubber rim protection doesn't really protect much with any of the tyres I've had so far.

Time to phone the Alloy insurance people for me. :(

#20 ·
[/quote]

I've never had Contis so I can't comment on them.
The Michelin do have rim protection, but since having them I've managed to badly scuff my near-side rear and my offside front!

I've found that rubber rim protection doesn't really protect much with any of the tyres I've had so far.
Time to phone the Alloy insurance people for me. :([/quote]

Yep, an absolute must imo. None of these low profile tyres offer any real protection if you really kerb the wheel. Note that some insurers won't cover diamond cut alloys. Period.

#21 ·
My first set were Continental Contisportcontact 5 which came from factory, they were fine no issues as such but towards the end one tire had a bubble and another was just losing air through some fine cracks in the side wall. The roads in my city are shite so what applies to me might not apply to everyone. Now I've switched over to Michelin pilot sport 4s and I can tell you there is a huge difference between these two. PS4s are the best tires I've ever owned, a lot more responsive and grip levels are phenomenal. The contisportcontact6 are out now never tried those so no idea, don't know anyone who's tried those either so can't comment, maybe they are better than CSC5? I'd recommend PS4S blindly though!

#22 ·
Harsha369 said:
My first set were Continental Contisportcontact 5 which came from factory, they were fine no issues as such but towards the end one tire had a bubble and another was just losing air through some fine cracks in the side wall. The roads in my city are shite so what applies to me might not apply to everyone. Now I've switched over to Michelin pilot sport 4s and I can tell you there is a huge difference between these two. PS4s are the best tires I've ever owned, a lot more responsive and grip levels are phenomenal. The contisportcontact6 are out now never tried those so no idea, don't anyone who's tried those either so can't comment, maybe they are better than CSC5? I'd recommend PS4S blindly though!
Spoke to a friend who got some Hankook from factory he is planning to change to ps4s or csc6, will keep you guys posted. He said the hankooks were very mediocre.

#23 ·
*UPDATE* My friend went with Michellin Pilot Sport 4S as well. People here prefer the PS4S over the continental CSC6. Anyone else with further input on CSC6 should share their experience.

#24 ·
I've recently bought a mk3 TTS
When Buying it the car had hankooks on it but it needed 2 front tyres
They said they would replace the fronts before I collected it, which they did but they didn't match the rears.

I'd already in my head decided I'd put some good quality tyres on all round.

On my mk2 I had Goodyear f1's and was very happy with them but fancied a change

Ended up on getting conti 6's
Found the ride to be smooth, noise to be a lot better and the grip is awesome, drove it last night for the first time in the wet and made an effort to push it hard on islands etc to test wet grip and found them to be excellent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#25 ·
moro anis said:
I had Yokohamas on mine (20") and was very pleased with them.

Very quiet, good road holding in all conditions plus a kerbing band.
My TTS 20" came with Yokohama Advan Sport V105's. Those and the (awful) Pirelli P Zero are the OEM spec tires (yes, i haha) here in the states. None of the other (limited) options for the 20" wheels come close to these in terms of test results and reviews, so I'll be keeping with these even though they're a bit pricy.

#26 ·
ReTTro fit said:
I've recently bought a mk3 TTS
When Buying it the car had hankooks on it but it needed 2 front tyres
They said they would replace the fronts before I collected it, which they did but they didn't match the rears.

I'd already in my head decided I'd put some good quality tyres on all round.

On my mk2 I had Goodyear f1's and was very happy with them but fancied a change

Ended up on getting conti 6's
Found the ride to be smooth, noise to be a lot better and the grip is awesome, drove it last night for the first time in the wet and made an effort to push it hard on islands etc to test wet grip and found them to be excellent

Totally agree with this, the Contis are great tyres, the Hankooks just don't do it on a performance car that is Quattro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.