Switch to full site
Discuss all things to do with the MK3 TT (2014-Present)
Post a reply

SSD?

14 Jan 2020, 19:31

I swear to god the MMI system takes more and more time to boot up the more the car gets older.

Got me thinking... if the MMI OS is on a hard disc (HDD). Does in theory changing that HDD for a SSD make it better?

Did anyone entertain such idea before? :)

Re: SSD?

14 Jan 2020, 19:54

VC doesn't use a hard drive, or at least nothing is in the dash.
It uses DDR3 modules from SKHynix (4x2GB in redundancy mode) on PCboard 2 of 5. Basically its has a ROM: 4GByte + 64MByte I can't really tell you more or i'd have to kill you.

But no upgrade,

14 Jan 2020, 20:04

Toshiba wrote:VC doesn't use a hard drive, or at least nothing is in the dash.
It uses DDR3 modules from SKHynix (4x2GB in redundancy mode) on PCboard 2 of 5. Basically its has a ROM: 4GByte + 64MByte I can't really tell you more or i'd have to kill you.

But no upgrade,

Shame, :(

I feel like factory resetting it in hopes of making it ...faster....

Will factory reset tinker with the OBDEleven mods I codded?

14 Jan 2020, 21:37

captainhero17 wrote:I feel like factory resetting it in hopes of making it ...faster....

Will factory reset tinker with the OBDEleven mods I codded?
There’s an option in VCDS to erase the flash drive.
You’ll then have to reload the maps, and probably the jukebox if you have anything stored there.
All firmware is totally unaffected. Also coding/adaptations are preserved, at least as far as I remember.

The erase option saved my bacon when I loaded a hacked up navigation update once which totally prevented the nav from booting, or reapplying the update. Don’t ask....

I doubt very much it will make it any faster though. But what might help (haven’t tested) is if you erase the Europe wide maps and load only your specific country/region?

15 Jan 2020, 10:38

I might try your suggestion. Prob is that the whole MMI takes is time to boot.
Maybe its placebo effect but I feel it slugs more each passing day as car ages. Not just the map preload.

It takes me like 1min in order to be able to select my Audi Drive mods.

15 Jan 2020, 11:14

captainhero17 wrote:I might try your suggestion. Prob is that the whole MMI takes is time to boot.
Maybe its placebo effect but I feel it slugs more each passing day as car ages. Not just the map preload.
I
Yes I agree it takes an age. I'm not sure it's got slower over time though - just more annoying!
The Nav doesn't even seem to get a head start by booting when you unlock the car either? Instead waiting until you press the start button. Why!

At least the RNS-E (in my MK1) is ready when I need it. And if I don't like something then I fix the firmware! :o

15 Jan 2020, 12:02

I remember some cars had an option to disable "fancy graphics" in order to boot faster and make the UI more responsive.
Range Rover being the biggest culprit for this. Selling +60k cars with CPU and hardware you wont find on a knockoff chinese tablet.
Luxury brands need to be taken down a notch!!!!!

15 Jan 2020, 12:03

I wonder what are the boot times and responsiveness of 2019 TTs...
Did it get any better with new HW

15 Jan 2020, 12:05

When I got my car it had Europe-wide maps and took ages to load. The previous owners had never updated the maps. So I updated them but I loaded UK & Ireland only. It is quicker now.

15 Jan 2020, 12:08

up to now, didn't notice a slower boot up, but mine is 2018... perhaps still too early for ageing? :roll:
by the way, I already got an MMI update (now vers. 1169) at last dealer visit (don't know if it can have a relation with boot up times)

15 Jan 2020, 20:29

kevin#34 wrote:up to now, didn't notice a slower boot up, but mine is 2018... perhaps still too early for ageing? :roll:
by the way, I already got an MMI update (now vers. 1169) at last dealer visit (don't know if it can have a relation with boot up times)

How fast can you access the Audi Drive (drive modes) features once you turn on the engine? Mine takes some 15 seconds more after the engine start. That thing should be accessible from the start right?

As for the SW updates.... only the lab coat guys in the underground lab of Ingolstadt know what is inside the SW update.
As far as we learned with Apple and their SW updates..Audi probably lowers your performance gradually till you feel the need to upgrade. :lol: :lol:

simestt wrote:When I got my car it had Europe-wide maps and took ages to load. The previous owners had never updated the maps. So I updated them but I loaded UK & Ireland only. It is quicker now.

I will definitely try that. I would imagine that the map loading is separate from the other MMI functionalities such as MEDIA, AUDI DRIVE and so on.... but hell I will give it a try. :)

15 Jan 2020, 21:39

I have never timed that, but 15 sec seems too much…. but I can make a test on next weekend :lol:
anyway after pushing the start/stop button MMI is never immediately ready, I would say it takes 4/5 sec to boot..

captainhero17 wrote:How fast can you access the Audi Drive (drive modes) features once you turn on the engine? Mine takes some 15 seconds more after the engine start. That thing should be accessible from the start right?

16 Jan 2020, 07:44

captainhero17 wrote:How fast can you access the Audi Drive (drive modes) features once you turn on the engine? Mine takes some 15 seconds more after the engine start. That thing should be accessible from the start right?

You should, but it doesn’t seem to have been designed that way....
Not sure about the drive mode. How are you accessing it? With the dedicated button on the centre console switches, or via the user programmable * key on the steering wheel?
The SDS also takes an age to be ready and will often ignore the first few presses even after the Nav has booted. That particularly annoying if you want to go somewhere and you want to enter a postcode...

As for the SW updates.... only the lab coat guys in the underground lab of Ingolstadt know what is inside the SW update.
As far as we learned with Apple and their SW updates..Audi probably lowers your performance gradually till you feel the need to upgrade. :lol: :lol:

Bug fixes only is my guess. They don’t seem to add any new functionality.

I will definitely try that. I would imagine that the map loading is separate from the other MMI functionalities such as MEDIA, AUDI DRIVE and so on.... but hell I will give it a try. :)

Almost certainly infotainment (MMI and Nav function) will be separated from the car functions (speedo, tacho, etc). From what I’ve read there are two separate NVIDIA Tegra 3 processor systems.
The speedo and tacho are available immediately (for fairly obvious reasons), so I’d say that is one dedicated system. Then the graphics from that are superimposed by the hardware on top of the second system doing the non-critical infotainment functions. That’s what it looks like is going on from outside the box, anyway....

16 Jan 2020, 09:44

pcbbc,

1.I access the Audi Drive via the dedicated button via the centre console. :)

2. Yeah I heard that there are separate systems for displaying and booting primary functions (tachometer & speed). And another for secondary functions.

3. SW update is the biggest mystery of Audi. I have zero idea why they hide the "patch notes". BMW is very open with what their hotfixes do.
:(

16 Jan 2020, 11:04

Audi uses Tegra 3, The Tegra 3 is a quad-core ARM Cortex-A9 CPU, but includes a fifth "companion" core. This core operates transparently to applications and is used to reduce power consumption when processing load is minimal. The main quad-core portion of the CPU powers off in these situations. It's basically a Tegra 2 GPU, with 4 additional pixel shader units and higher clock frequency. It can also output video up to 2560×1600 resolution and supports 1080p MPEG-4 AVC/h.264 40 Mbit/s. And yes, there are two of them in the binnacle.

The problem with the version 3 is it uses a single 32bit bus, rather than dual and is limited to 4.3GB/s
Post a reply