Audi TT Forum banner

HOW TO - Leather Care

73K views 131 replies 81 participants last post by  ChesterUK 
#1 ·
Now we have our own "show and shine" section, it'll be a good idea to add a few "how to's" on various subjects and make them "stickies"

So, here's the first :)

It's the time of year for all the "how do I..." posts. Leather care is one that crops frequently, so here's my thoughts.

Plenty of products to choose from, some cheap, some expensive - some work and some are just plain damaging.
I've tried and binned most "off the shelf" products. They're generally horrible, leaving a nasty greasy film that simply attracts more damaging dirt.

I'm not going to try and convert you away from your favoured product, if you like it and it works for you, that's fine!
Nor do I have any affiliation with my recommended product "Liquid Leather"

Why "clean and condition"?
Your rear end is parked on your expensive and good looking leather seats; you sweat on it, you grind dirt and dust into it, it loses its natural oils through the effects of sunlight, heat and the cars air-con system.
Leave it untreated the leather will get dry, stiff and start to crack.

What should you buy? (sufficient for 3 or 4 complete treatments)
LL GT12 gentle cleaner 250ml
LL GT11 conditioner 250ml

There is a conditioner which contains water repellant - GT13 I don't think it gives as nice a finish as the GT11. Who's going to let their leather get wet anyway?

Using it:
The secret to getting the best from the product (and any other leather product) is warmth. Doing it on cold leather renders the best of cleaners / conditioners pretty much useless. The products will sit on the leather and not be absorbed.
Choose a warm day, use the seat heater, car heater or a hair dryer.

*Vacuum your seats, get all the dirt from the seams using a small stiff paint brush.
*Wipe the seats down with a cloth and warm water.
* Apply the cleaner, liberally, with a cloth. Work it in with a soft nail brush - don't scrub. All you want to do is small circular movements to "push" the cleaner into the leather pores.
*Leave for 15 minutes and wipe off dirt and residue with a clean damp cloth. Repeat until the cloth "wipes" clean.
*Allow to dry thoroughly.
Don't worry about the cleaner getting into the perforations of the leather.

*Apply the conditioner (to warm leather) with a clean cotton / terry cloth. Work it in and use liberally. Get plenty in around the stitching.
* Leave it for a minimum of 6 hours keeping some warmth in the car.
*Wipe off any residue with a damp cloth - job done.

As easy as that! Just remember it's not a "wipe on, wipe off and drive away product" the conditioner needs time (and warmth) to be fully absorbed.
It leaves a lovely OE look to the leather and restores a long lasting authentic leather aroma - nice.

Clean 2 or 3 times a year and lightly condition every month.

If your leather is really grubby and you're feeling brave (all at your own risk!) the hot "Chinese Towel" trick is extremely effective at lifting dirt.
Do this and then follow up with cleaner and conditioner.

Seriously, be careful - it's easy to get burnt!!!

*One damp hand towel.
*Fold and put into microwave
* Heat for as long as is needed to get the towel steaming hot - trial and error needed!
*Once steaming, carefully take to the car and lay towel over the seats, Pat down and allow to cool.
*Wipe off dirt - you'll be amazed at how effective this is, especially if you pick your nearest and dearests best M&S Egyptian cotton towels (they work the best btw!)
*Treat with Liquid Leather as above...you can just condition alone if you feel confident you have removed all the dirt with the hot towel

If your leather is showing signs of cracking Liquid Leather make excellent touch up kits "Scuffmaster" that are easy and inexpensive to buy and use - and very effective.

3 year old TT leather interior. Never cleaned, slightly scuffed, and with "shiny" leather...end result of using LiquidLeather, not too shabby now!

Dave

See less See more
#5 ·
Yes, GT12 cleaner followed by GT11 conditioner

Dave

#6 ·
Would you recommend to use the scuffmaster kit after or before you use the cleaner and Conditioner?

#8 ·
anTTony said:
cleaner then scuff then conditioner :wink:
No!! Cleaner, then Conditioning Liquid as this softens the leather in preperation for the Dye(which also contains some conditioner). You should not have to apply more Conditioning Liquid for !2 months. Just done mine really pleased with the result.

With the Kit you will receive a flyer with the title: Advice on preparing leather for recolouring, above is a shortening version

#10 ·
anTTony said:
thats strange, i was told to clean then dye, then condition the seat as a whole? I got amazing results too, so am assuming this way isnt horribly wrong!
Not at all Ant. You put the Conditioning Liquid on if the leather needs softening, however the Dye does contain some Conditioning agent. I was unsure but I picked mine up from the factory and confirmed order of application, since noticed it is also on the Dye bottle. Once the Dye has been applied after you are sure the leather is soft enough(using the Conditioning Liquid) you don't need to apply for 12 months. You just applied earlier :roll: but as I understand it won't make much difference as the Dye contains a sealant and will be fine :wink:

#15 ·
Hark said:
Guys where can I buy this stuff from?
Matt, I get mine from Performance Autocare (I think) from Ebay, they are based up your way so you may save on the P&P. Nice people to deal with.

#16 ·
Quick question please. In the how to you mention 'cloths', which cloth types do you use?

Micro fibre, polishing cloths or just normal kitchen cloths?

Got issues with a shiny leather driver's seat, just cannot get it to the same matt finish as my passanger side. :x

Cheers

#17 ·
I've used LL before, but never left it on for 6hrs and never acheived amazing results like those pics!

I've decided I will spend sunday treating my interior to a good 'spit-polish' :lol:

A few questions if I may:

The "hot-towel" technique... why do you say "at your own risk" ? Can it have negative effects on the leather, or just burn my hands? :lol: I think my black leather could do with a good clean. Also, do you just lay it on the seat, then rub it a little, then remove? I'm guessing it needs to be steaming hot, but not dripping wet.

Nextly, how did you manage to keep the leather/seats/interior warm for several hours? I dont fancy leaving the key in the ignition, fans and heated seats left on in the garage all day :roll: :lol: Just how warm is warm? If you've used the hot towel method, will the leather be warm enough to apply the conditioner?

I really dont want to spend hours cleaning and conditioning, to realise I have missed a step or wasted my time getting poor results. The main annoyance with my seats is the lines in the black leather. They're not big or deep, just like faint cracks... I want them gone. Don't think they're deep enough for scuffmaster, as even after a really light condition they look much better.

#18 ·
prt225TT said:
I've used LL before, but never left it on for 6hrs and never acheived amazing results like those pics!

I've decided I will spend sunday treating my interior to a good 'spit-polish' :lol:

A few questions if I may:

The "hot-towel" technique... why do you say "at your own risk" ? Can it have negative effects on the leather, or just burn my hands? :lol: I think my black leather could do with a good clean. Also, do you just lay it on the seat, then rub it a little, then remove? I'm guessing it needs to be steaming hot, but not dripping wet.

to avoid burning yourself!

Nextly, how did you manage to keep the leather/seats/interior warm for several hours? I dont fancy leaving the key in the ignition, fans and heated seats left on in the garage all day :roll: :lol: Just how warm is warm? If you've used the hot towel method, will the leather be warm enough to apply the conditioner?

the weather is too cold just now to rely on the sun to warm the interior - go buy a cheapie fan heater (tenner or less from B&Q) and use that. I'll not take long to get the leather warm - touch it, doesn't have to baking hot. I use a fan heater and it works fine, just don't leave pointing directly at a seat. It won't be hot enough after using the hot towel - the hot towel is best used on heavily soiled leather as a pre-clean treatment prior to applying the LL cleaner and then conditioner

I really dont want to spend hours cleaning and conditioning, to realise I have missed a step or wasted my time getting poor results. The main annoyance with my seats is the lines in the black leather. They're not big or deep, just like faint cracks... I want them gone.

cleaning/conditioning will improve the look of the cracking in the leather - but if you want them gone, a scuffmaster kit is the way to go. I recently treated an early (95) M3 with Silver leather; the results where simply stunning - the cracking has gone, the leather has a fabulous almost mew look. If you want to do it properly spend a few bob on the kit

Don't think they're deep enough for scuffmaster, as even after a really light condition they look much better.

#19 ·
Dave,
you prefer Liquid leather stuff, have you used the zaino z-9 and z -10 or the LTT stuff?
Over on the detailing world the LL is not liked, but the other two are.
I would value your view on these products if you have time to respond.I myself have only used the LL stuff and found it OK.
Cheers,
Simon

#20 ·
Oh well guess my question was not good enough then............ :roll: :roll:

#21 ·
ChadW said:
Quick question please. In the how to you mention 'cloths', which cloth types do you use?

Micro fibre, polishing cloths or just normal kitchen cloths?

Got issues with a shiny leather driver's seat, just cannot get it to the same matt finish as my passanger side. :x

Cheers
and

ChadW said:
Oh well guess my question was not good enough then............ :roll: :roll:
Sorry, just didn't see your post!

Think the answers are in my "how too" :wink:

If the drivers seat, which is usually the case, is "shinier" apply the cleaner twice, or more if needed, until the gloss disappears - it will. Be generous with stuff too and make sure there is some warmth in the leather before you do it otherwise the cleaner will just sit on the leather as a glutinous mess!

Dave

#22 ·
Thanks Dave! 8)

#23 ·
I've just done my drivers seat with the GT12 and am amazed at how good it is. My car is immaculate and the leather is perfect.....or so I thought until I started with the GT12!

It's made a clean seat even cleaner, didn't even realise that they could get so clean!

#24 ·
Can this treatment be applied in the same manner to the steering wheel, knee pads and door cards etc...

Steve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.