Audi TT Forum banner

Fitted new Xtrons Android Headunit - Love it!

46K views 111 replies 44 participants last post by  mediarascals 
#1 ·
Fitted a Xtrons Android Headunit last night. Very pleased with it so far. Still making tweaks to the sound do get a little more power and bass. Google maps works a treat on it.

Few questions for people that may also have a headunit like this:

1. On the original headunit I could enable and disable the interior lights when the door opens. Now the interior lights don't work at all. Anybody else had this issue?
2. Currently the volume button on the steering wheels changes the volume but also cycles through apps, any fix for this?

http://xtrons.co.uk/pb76attap-7-hd-digi ... t-mk2.html

See less See more
#53 ·
Hi
Not been around for a while -sorry!

My wife is increasing pressure to get nav and bluetooth in the TTS.

Forgive my ignorance/stupity but how does nav aspect work? Is it within the unit or does it need to use google maps thru a phone?
Does it work with an iPhone 4S?

Thanks

#54 ·
techbananas said:
So this just arrived, now I need to work out how to fit it! Could you find any installation instructions online?
I've got a new xtrons sitting waiting to be fitted but I'm a bit put off by all the loose wires with the little protective covers on the ends.

Do you need to use all the looms? I've got Bose and multifunction steering wheel and am not fitting a camera.

What's the minimum number of connections you need to make? Canbus, aerial, GPS aerial, aux in loom, usb loom? Amp connection. Anything else a must?

#55 · (Edited by Moderator)
techbananas said:
So this just arrived, now I need to work out how to fit it! Could you find any installation instructions online?
Hello dude.

What model stereo is that? I just got mine which is the PDAB71TTA and the connecting wires/looms are different! I have no idea about car radio installations but a local guy just quoted me £200 for installing this, so i want to understand these cables and try myself.

IMG_4214.JPG

IMG_9532.JPG

There's a big chunk of wires with two harnesses on - i assumed this is to make it easier for whoever may install it? But i can't see any amp cable? one of the harnesses fit my car cable fine, the other doesn't.
IMG_2443.JPG

Then there's another wire set.. again, no amp cable.
IMG_2644.JPG

I had a go at piecing the cables together and managed ok (if its right!). speaker male/female bits joined together, Canbus unit attached, but that's it.

Some basic guidance/advice would be hugely appreciated.

Attachments

#58 ·
SLine_Tom said:
If its anything like most stereos, the cables will only fit where they are meant to, check and see if there are any small labels on the wires.
they're all labelled but only a single cable for amp. there's 2 blank cables with 'Key1' and 'Key2'.

Looking at the ISO harness that fits, it seems that there are some connections aren't in the same place as the car harness.

#61 ·
Thanks Steve,

I'd seen the WinCE models - didn't fancy going down that route. I like the idea of the an Android HU, with lots of software options, but when driving I mainly listen to 5Live which is best on DAB. Halfords did a good deal on the Kenwood DNX7017DABS (£325) which I was tempted by and will go for if the Xtrons DAB isn't up to much.

#62 ·
Hi all. I know this is now an ancient thread, but wondered if I could get some opinions.
I have just ordered the Xtrons PB76ATTAP, and am bemused by the number of available Navigation Apps.
It is Android operating system, and as I live in the UK, the app must be able to accept proper post codes.
Which app would you recommend and your reasons, please.

#63 ·
Kelpy said:
Hi all. I know this is now an ancient thread, but wondered if I could get some opinions.
I have just ordered the Xtrons PB76ATTAP, and am bemused by the number of available Navigation Apps.
It is Android operating system, and as I live in the UK, the app must be able to accept proper post codes.
Install Waze or Google Maps. Both will handle post codes, plus a whole lot more. You need to be on-line of course, but that brings dynamic traffic routing too so on our crowded roads that in itself is a massive advantage.

#64 ·
pdk42 said:
Kelpy said:
Install Waze or Google Maps. Both will handle post codes, plus a whole lot more. You need to be on-line of course, but that brings dynamic traffic routing too so on our crowded roads that in itself is a massive advantage.
Thank you for the quick response, pdk42.
I neglected to mention that I am a dinosaur, and do not have a phone connected to the internet.
I really need something that is 'free-standing' on the head unit.

#65 ·
I have tried a few but am currently using Offline Maps & Navigation which is free.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... nemaps.gps
I think there are adverts although I have never seen one as once I start driving I am out of the range of my home WiFi and I rarely tether it from my phone.
The maps are really upto date - Google Maps doesn't have my street or the adjacent ones (new housing estate), however the maps with this do.

Andy

#66 ·
Kelpy said:
Waze works very reliably on the PB76. Google maps is unstable on the PB76 unless you update the firmware which I haven't been able to do (involves rooting the Device, which is known as jailbreaking of you're an apple person).

Waze uses Google maps and has accurate traffic data.

There's an offline one called sygic which gets good reviews.

#67 ·
Thank you for your suggestions Andy and Rory182.
It sounds like my best route is to download some samples and try them.
Andy, I like the idea of a completely free app :) , and rory182 Waze looks good.
I'm a bit of a technophobe, really, and don't know how to download these apps onto the Xtrons. Does the head unit connect to the internet on it's own without using a phone, so I can go to Google Play and download them?

#68 ·
Kelpy said:
Thank you for your suggestions Andy and Rory182.
It sounds like my best route is to download some samples and try them.
Andy, I like the idea of a completely free app :) , and rory182 Waze looks good.
I'm a bit of a technophobe, really, and don't know how to download these apps onto the Xtrons. Does the head unit connect to the internet on it's own without using a phone, so I can go to Google Play and download them?
Easiest way to connect the HU to the internet is to use WiFi. If you can park your car close to the house and you have WiFi in your house then that's the easiest. Failing that the best thing is to use a Mobile Hotspot on your phone (so long as your phone can do that - most modern phones will, but older devices may not). You could also use a 3G/4G dongle on your HU. These are effectively little hotspots of their own. My recent experience of them hasn't been good though - I've been through two neither of which has worked reliably. Maybe I've just been unlucky.

#69 ·
Many thanks pdk42.
I have wifi at home, so I'll try that when I have the unit fitted. Being delivered today - yippee.
My phone is old, but I believe has most of the facilities, but I have never been able to download apps on it. I find it all a bit confusing. Hopefully this new unit is easier to understand by the poor old bugger :)

#70 ·
Kelpy said:
Many thanks pdk42.
I have wifi at home, so I'll try that when I have the unit fitted. Being delivered today - yippee.
My phone is old, but I believe has most of the facilities, but I have never been able to download apps on it. I find it all a bit confusing. Hopefully this new unit is easier to understand by the poor old bugger :)
The head unit is basically a multi-input audio device - the Android part is just one of the inputs (others being Bluetooth, DVD, Radio, Aux, TV, reversing camera). The Android part has proprietary apps that allow it to control the hardware (so effectivley switching between the inputs). The Android module is effectively an Android tablet. Apps can be manually installed by copying the appropriate .apk installation file to the flash storage (internal or usually a Micro-SD card) and 'clicked on' using a file browser or you can download and install them from the Google Play store. For the Play store to work you need to add your Google account to the head unit - exactly as you would an Android phone or tablet.
Lots of information here - https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto

Good luck.
Andy

#71 ·
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Andy. I'm sure I'll get my head around it eventually.
I had a brief look at the link, thanks, and will have a good read tonight.
Cheers
Trev

#72 ·
Very impressed with the vatious write ups on the Xtrons head unit, I'm considering buying the same one.
I have a slight concern and would be very appreciative if someone could help.
PDK42 you mentioned that having changed your phone to a Samsung s7 you had been having trouble connecting to Wifi hotspot. I also have a S7 and am concerned about this matter.
The headunit only operates on 2.4GHz. My phone is running Android 8 oreo and having looked into it the option to change from 2.4 to 5GHz has been removed with the Oreo update.
Can anyone offer any advice on this matter?
Many thanks

#73 ·
Outnumbered said:
Very impressed with the vatious write ups on the Xtrons head unit, I'm considering buying the same one.
I have a slight concern and would be very appreciative if someone could help.
PDK42 you mentioned that having changed your phone to a Samsung s7 you had been having trouble connecting to Wifi hotspot. I also have a S7 and am concerned about this matter.
The headunit only operates on 2.4GHz. My phone is running Android 8 oreo and having looked into it the option to change from 2.4 to 5GHz has been removed with the Oreo update.
Many thanks
I have Oreo on my HTC U11 and have had no issues tethering the wifi.

#75 ·
I'm also thinking of trying this upgrade. Very good deal on at this time. I need to choose between PB78ATTP and PB78ATTRP, still undecided which gives the more OEM look....down to personal preference, I suppose.
Does anyone know if the reversing camera CAMATT002 supplied by Xtrons is a direct plug and play replacement for the existing number plate light on a 2008 MK2 2.0 TFSI? It says "designed specifically for TT {2009 - 2012)" but hoping it might fit the earlier model.
Tried reading through the various HU threads but couldn't find any reference.

#76 ·
Outnumbered said:
I fixed it by ensuring that the screen and phone stay on. It's OK since I have it on power anyhow.

Outnumbered said:
Many thanks
That is a worry. I might delay the upgrade when it comes then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.