Audi TT Forum banner

Wet windows - Water stuck in doors

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  chestnutree 
#1 ·
Morning all,

Having issues with major condensation in the car which is probably what destroyed my Bose amp.

After a very cold night every window inside is covered so badly in condensation that the water droplets run down the windscreen.

After a long time checking for leaks and damp carpets (drain holes all clear, carpets dry) i finally discovered that the water appears to be trapped somewhere in the doors, mainly the drivers door. I've followed the advice for checking the square drain hole at the bottom but it's perfectly clear.

I know some posts on here ask about water smears on the inside of the windows when winding the window down and back up after rain or washing the car which i've always experienced with my car..... But now, when i wind the window down the entire pane of glass is entirely smeared in water and it's been sitting in the door for so long that it smells terrible of stagnant water. Really not pleasant! Also, the inside seal against the window is starting to look mouldy.

Any ideas where the water is getting trapped and how to solve this please? Tempted to pour bleach inside to sort the smell it's so bad!

Thanks,
Nick

See less See more
#4 ·
Drain holes are visibly clear from crouching down and looking and i feel no resistance when trying to clear with cable ties. Also no crap comes out onto the cable ties.

When i open the car door after rain i do see some water fall from the sill where the drain hole is.

It's as if some water is passing through from one channel, but the rest is getting stuck in whichever area the inside of the window rolls down to.

#5 ·
Hi, Water will always get in the doors, that why they have drains & it drains onto the sill.
If the water builds up it can also get into interior by leaking past the door card.
I think you will have to remove door cards & investigate the problem before the bottom of the doors corroded away or you have more electrical probs caused by moisture.
Hoggy :D .

#6 ·
Sadly i didn't get enough time during daylight hours to strip the door down this weekend.

One thing to add is that after rain the other day, when i opened the door water did dribble out of the square hole. Shouldn't it do this when the door is closed too? No build up of dirt adjacent to it so i'm not sure why it doesn't flow freely.

Bottom of the plastic trim on the door looks a little mouldy too. lovely!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.