Audi TT Forum banner

Airbox

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  mk2506 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
What's the point of this? I imagine it reduces airflow quite a bit. I've removed it :)

20200519_200819.jpg

20200519_200758.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I imagine it was there for numerous reasons.

Support as Andy says but could also be changing flow efficiency. Back in the day we used to have trumpets on our SU carbs inside the filter to make air flow more effective.

Unless your car is tuned I can't see any of the air box restrictions be an issue.

Personally I'd put it back.

#10 ·
Flashy said:
Air is power. :)
A proper stoichiometric air fuel mix is power. Additional oxygen accomplishes nothing if not paired with fuel at the correct ratio.

… now back in the day, air velocity was important as it was the mechanism used to draw fuel from your carburetor (aka the venturi effect) and airflow through your intake manifold was carefully controlled to ensured each cylinder got the same amount of air/ fuel... but direct fuel injection engines don't rely on the airflow to draw fuel into the combustion chamber there is little benefit to 'streamlining' that airflow (on a turbo motor, there is no benefit since air has to flow through the turbo and the turbo relies on exhaust, not intake air velocity to draw air into your intake).

#12 ·
Flashy said:
I swapped over a prb inlet manifold for an rrc on my ep3, it gained 17bhp. Larger plenum, and wider ports helped.
Yeah, we used to do all sorts of crazy things to get more air / fuel into a N/A motor. Cross ram / tunnel ram manifolds, velocity stacks, multiple carburetors... good times 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.