Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Being a lover of anything that has blinking LEDs and especially those that connect to the web, I decided to have a play with one of the cheap GPS trackers off eBay. "How hard can it be!?" :wink:

£49 - Realtime GPS Tracker. TK103

With this little box of tricks you can:

"See the current location / speed of your car anytime via the web or smartphone"
"Set geo fences / over-speed alerts"
"Receive SMS alerts"
"View up to 30 days of tracked data online"

Sell_TK103_GPS_GPRS_GSM.jpeg

Its really easy to install and setup too :

1) Enable a 3G SIM. Note the number and add credit (data / text).
2) Pop SIM into GPS Tracker.
3) Wire to permanent + / -
4) Wire to ACC live.
5) Test and configure.

Receive SMS Alerts for :

Over-Speed - car travels faster than the defined speed.
Movement - car moves after being stationary for 3+ minutes.
Geo Fence - car moves outside of a defined virtual fence.

Power off - when the car battery gets disconnected. *Unit has 2 day backup battery!

Voice Monitor - call the tracker and listen to conversations inside your car.

You can control all these settings via an iPhone / Android app, or simply call your GPS tracker and it will send you an SMS with its current speed and location.

OPTIONAL : Realtime tracking via a Website : http://www.gps-trace.com

trace.jpg

The image above shows my car to within about 2 meters of where it was parked!

tracker.jpg

This image is a stored track. Shows speed / time

The website is free to use. You only need to pay for a data package on the SIM itself.

Using a "giffgaff" SIM, you can get 500mb 'data only' for £5 / month. Even tracking every 20 seconds, you use less than 1mb per day!

For £49 (free delivery) and £5 a month (optional), you can keep tabs on your beloved TT 24/7, from anywhere in the world! Simply search for a TK103 GPS Tracker and have fun!

Please feel welcome to PM me for a link to where I purchased mine or any help / advice with the setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stealth install baby!

Popped the drivers side trim off under the steering wheel (where the headlight switch is) and wired it in up behind the clocks etc. GSM antenner gets great signal and GPS is to within a few meters most of the time.

Its not Thatcham approved or anything so you shouldn't expect any reduction in insurance premiums etc. But make sure you inform the slippery buggers or they could void your insurance.

As far as 'boys toys' go... its the best £49 I've ever spent.

DEMO : If you want to get a location SMS back from a similar GPS Tracker, call 07955 536822 from your smartphone and hang-up once it answers. It will send you an SMS with the GPS Coordinates of a demo unit hosted by a company up North.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Excellent stuff Baz. I've got the original tracker fitted in my car from new but it's not activated as the insurance company wanted to add an extra £150 to my annual premium ...... yeah, go figure :? Will look into this, great peace of mind and no annual subscriptions.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've been looking at these for years, and the price seems great and i'm itching to buy it now, but my concern is the website part of it is free, and at £49 the company wont be making a huge profit (max £20 I guess), so what if the website/company goes under? We'd have a fantastic product that is tied into a website that no longer exists?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to clarify...

:arrow: The website is NOT run by the same people who supply the GPS Trackers!

The website I'm using (there are others of course) is FREE TO USE for a single GPS Tracker unit and is limited to 1 user. They do offer a 'fleet management' subscriptions but you dont need this.

Take a look at http://gps-trace.com/ and read their FAQ.

You can always switch your tracker to transmit location data to another website service if you ever need to! :)

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
looks a nice option this....

Can you advise if the unit can receive and SMS to toggle/trigger an output....... for example trigger a relay of your choice?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr WAK

Yes. It does indeed come with a relay that can be trigged via remote SMS.

I didn't personally utilise this. The manual suggests using it to cut the oil / fuel but this sounded like an accident / lawsuit waiting to happen.

Perhaps you can find alternative uses for the relay?... Remote sidelights anyone?

·
Registered
340 Posts
MrBazUK said:
Just to clarify...

:arrow: The website is NOT run by the same people who supply the GPS Trackers!

The website I'm using (there are others of course) is FREE TO USE for a single GPS Tracker unit and is limited to 1 user. They do offer a 'fleet management' subscriptions but you dont need this.

Take a look at http://gps-trace.com/ and read their FAQ.

You can always switch your tracker to transmit location data to another website service if you ever need to! :)
I see.. Then can you pm me the link to the seller you used please?

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
MrBazUK said:
Mr WAK

Yes. It does indeed come with a relay that can be trigged via remote SMS.

I didn't personally utilise this. The manual suggests using it to cut the oil / fuel but this sounded like an accident / lawsuit waiting to happen.

Perhaps you can find alternative uses for the relay?... Remote sidelights anyone?
Having watched police stop and what happens when the police get into pursuit to the poor sods car , the option to be able to cut the fuel pump and have it come to a slow stop ( no different to it suddenly having a pump failure) or indeed you seeing it stop and then powering it down so it cant be moved is worth the risk I would have thought, let alone the ability to immobilise the car when parked over and above the built in function if someone takes the keys its an additional barrier.

Can you assign specific phone numbers to access it?

·
Registered
667 Posts
looks cool... however...

it logs speed/direction/location...
who else can view this information?

you know where I may be coming from asking this

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can assign up to 5 keys for admin access.

The first master number is set by simply calling the box 10 times in a row and hanging up. The unit responds with an SMS saying "Hello master!".

You can then program it and add / remove the 4 other numbers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
badger5 said:
looks cool... however...

it logs speed/direction/location...
who else can view this information?

you know where I may be coming from asking this
Taken from GPS-Trace.com :

What happens with information about my location?
Data with all your tracks and locations is stored within database of Wialon GPS tracking software and available to you only. And it's your decision whether to share it with someone else or not.

So the Fuzz would need to know where the unit is configured to send the data before even insisting on obtaining it. Despite this, you can easily move the unit from one car to another. They would need to prove it was in car "A" on a given day.

AAAAANNNNDDD!!!.....

Is it possible to erase all my data from GPS-Trace Orange server, including my tracks?
Yes, at any moment you can delete your GPS-Trace Orange user information with all messages received from your GPS device.

Sounds OK to me. :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
This looks like my kind of mod/toy.
Great research and pretty clear summary of the features available. Worth a speculative punt at the prices quoted.

Peter

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Fantastic bit of kit,
Why on earth do insurance companies increase your premium for having a tracker fitted....

I think this would be 50 quid very well spent....

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
Hey Baz
Just read this after nightshift. Sounds an excellent find mate! Maybe another beer to discuss?
Brian

1 - 18 of 18 Posts