Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tested the 991 C2S Cabriolet PDK to see where we are with my TT-RS Roadster. Both cars were fitted with semi-active suspension thus PASM (Porsche) and MagneRide (Audi).

The 991 was fully loaded with all the Sports option you can muster - it is a demo car which can be bought if desired.

My TT-RS is very much an OEM look however has de-CAT trick exhaust; RS6 C6 V10 OEM BBK up front; REVO S2.

The 991 C2S vs. TT-RS S2 Roadster subjective review is as follows...;

Ride Comfort
Porsche have done well with this on the C2S. It is firm in non-PASM mode and with PASM on it is pretty firm. Compared to the modded TT-RS, I prefer my TT-RS with the MagneRide. It feels more planted, rides with more composure and keeps the ride very compliant. The C2S needs some work done to the suspension to smooth out some small rough edges...it felt ragged in comparison. TT-RS wins for me.

Handling
Now, here is a surprise. I can pretty much throw my TT-RS around and it is composed - but then again I have paid attention to getting the car to ride and handle well. The C2S lags behind here, it did not give me confidence to push as hard on the A/B-roads I tested on...these are close to home and I know them very well. The C2S demanded respect...the tail in non-PASM and PASM mode was too happy to wiggle. I guess you need to be a more skilled driver to get the best out of it. TT-RS wins for me.

Power delivery
Slower than a S2 TT-RS. And I hated the flippy flappy box as I thought I would...in Sports Plus mode it kept dropping gears to attain high RPM...damn pointless...! I wanted it to maintain the gear I had selected...to achieve that I had to switch off Sports plus mode. Delivery is smooth and constant as my REVO S2 TT-RS. I call this a draw.

Speed uptake
Not impressive coming out of the S2 TT-RS. The C2S could not stay with a S2 car...nope! TT-RS is winner here for me.

Exhaust note
I will start by saying the C2S wins for me if we compared stock to stock however my TT-RS has had some time spent on the exhaust note and it sounds more 'organic/raw' compared to the C2S which just sounded very scientific / forced in comparison. Again, an area I would spend a little more time on were it my C2S. My TT-RS wins for me though exhaust note is very much subjective / personal.

Interior
I want to comment also on the interior...Porsche are back...! The inside of the car is now very pleasant especially now that they have got rid of that silly tiptronic switches and started using proper flippy flappy pedals like everyone else. The seats are very supportive and easier to get in or out in comparison to my TT-RS bucket seats. The controls are nicely laid out. The feel of the controls are solid as you had expect from a German brand...reminds me of the 964 and 993 I owned once...the 996 and 986 I owned afterwards felt 'cheap' inside and out...

So, the all important question, "did I order a C4S'...erm, no...!

I was not impressed nor compelled enough to buy a 991 as it does everything the TT-RS does HOWEVER, and this is the key point for me, not better...certainly not mine as I have now got it just right. If I owned a stock TT-RS, I would have left it at Porsche today along with over £60k debited from my account...that is without a shadow of doubt...the 991 C2S Cabriolet PDK as tested was a great car and could see it being fun on track. It is just not for me as it offers nothing I currently do not have in my TT-RS Roadster

The 991 C2S is better than a stock TT-RS in every category tested above however a modded TT-RS is a tougher act to beat especially in the handling and ride comfort unless you are a badge snob...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hark said:
Very surprised you thought the RS out handled the 911. Not driven either so I can't really comment.

Is this simply because the RS felt more planted/safer??

How do they compare price wise?
The biggest surprise you get with these type of cars from Porshce; Ferrari; Aston; Lambo is they are reviewed often not objectively...they are reviewed by people so hunged up about the brand that they fail to give a real life view.

The 991 C2S handles like all the watercooled Porsches I have driven or owned to date - floaty and not planted. To get the best out of these cars you have to like that type of handling and know how to use power; steering; brakes to make the car 'dance' with you...the TT-RS or AWD Audis on the other hand are planted and easier to drive hence often labelled as 'boring'.

My TT-RS cost over £55k specced - the 991 C2S Cab tested will be around £85K.

Granted, I have poured in excess of £10k in to the TT-RS to get it where it is today and still managed to make it look stock.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Ive driven the new boxster 2012 version. I agree with all your points, except for the handling. It felt so light in the front it was like a gokart, but not meaning especially more fun only when absolutely on the max. It only has muchnpower very highnin the revrange and therefor less usable on the road. Drifting is fun but you hardly ever can do that properly and save on the streets but accelerating and making the 5 pot noise, you can always do that. For street use the ttrs is the more fun car in my opinion and couldnt be happier with the rs compared to the porsche.

Great write up btw

·
Registered
31,066 Posts
I've had a 991 on test and i would have swapped the RS in a heart beat.
The drive and feed back is sooooooo much better that the Audi its untrue.

More to life than 0-60 times IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Toshiba said:
I've had a 991 on test and i would have swapped the RS in a heart beat.
The drive and feed back is sooooooo much better that the Audi its untrue.

More to life than 0-60 times IMO.
Agreed for a stock car however a modded MagneRide car - nope...am happy to keep the TT and forego the 991...it just does not feel better.

Next car to be tested will be AM V8 and V12 Vantage.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joerek said:
Ive driven the new boxster 2012 version. I agree with all your points, except for the handling. It felt so light in the front it was like a gokart, but not meaning especially more fun only when absolutely on the max. It only has muchnpower very highnin the revrange and therefor less usable on the road. Drifting is fun but you hardly ever can do that properly and save on the streets but accelerating and making the 5 pot noise, you can always do that. For street use the ttrs is the more fun car in my opinion and couldnt be happier with the rs compared to the porsche.

Great write up btw
Looked at the new Boxster also, just did not like anything about it...and it is still underpowered...!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I drove the new 991 Carrera S at Silverstone at the end of June. I'm one if the TTs biggest fans, but the 991 is in a completely different league to the TTRS in every way imaginable. It sounds absolutely amazing, it's acceleration is ferocious, it's handling and dynamics sublime, it's styling more beautiful, and now it finally has the interior to match. It's a stunning car, and I may even prefer it to the R8. That's saying a lot coming from an major Audi fan!

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
MINI-TTGuy said:
I drove the new 991 Carrera S at Silverstone at the end of June. I'm one if the TTs biggest fans, but the 991 is in a completely different league to the TTRS in every way imaginable. It sounds absolutely amazing, it's acceleration is ferocious, it's handling and dynamics sublime, it's styling more beautiful, and now it finally has the interior to match. It's a stunning car, and I may even prefer it to the R8. That's saying a lot coming from an major Audi fan!
I think the TTRS is a good step leading to the bigger named cars like Porsche and Aston Martin etc but if i was to make that step i dont think i would go for a Porsche and definately not swap a Stage 2 TTRS for a Boxster or Cayman, thats just me though.

·
Registered
31,647 Posts
996cab said:
The biggest surprise you get with these type of cars from Porshce; Ferrari; Aston; Lambo is they are reviewed often not objectively...they are reviewed by people so hunged up about the brand that they fail to give a real life view.
Of course your review is totally unbiased... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Enjoyed the thread nonetheless :)

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
jamman said:
996cab said:

I don't think anyone I ever totally unbiased however the OP does appear to know what he likes and he makes any valid points, especially the one about the branding issue.

I've driven so of these cars and frankly, given the choice, I still drive my TT because ultimately it does everything more than adequately and very few supercars do that.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
Patrizio72 said:
Everyone is always biased on these things, just like im biased in saying i would be happy to swap my TTRS for a Lamborghini lol
You say that, but I suspect you'd want your RS back after a couple of weeks. Lamborghini's are great in small doses, but they are totally impractical for anything other than a couple of hundred miles on a sunny day. There is a reason why they are ALL low mileage cars!

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jamman said:
996cab said:

Thanks for your comment and in a way you pretty much sum up what I think of most who are 'swept' along.

Let me put some points in context which may help here.

I have owned a few high end brands to date. The TT-RS was a rushed purchase and at the time it was delivered the garage was as follows..;

1) 355 Spider with Tubi - only mod and owned from new.
2) 360 Spider bought from a friend to help out with some 'Taxing' issues.
3) LP640 bought from new and again only mod being a Tubi...this car I felt I would keep forever.

Preceding the above I had a string of air-cooled and water-cooled 911s and a Boxster. Apart from the 996 C2 Cab which got suspension work done by Steve at JZ MachTech, the other cars were 'proper' sports cars which handled well for my mediocre driving skills. So take my much missed 964 Speedster...you do not need to do anything to that car nor the 993 RS. The Boxster was specced with Sports pack and also needed no attention...though more power would have been nice.

The TT-RS was a hunch purchase, specs read well; R8 was highly rated; RS4 was highly rated so I felt Audi were on a roll...well, the car was great from new on streets however on track - the only car I have dared taken to track - it was useless.

I set about to mod the car as a result of forums like TTForum and VagOC. I also did something which I sometimes regret...sold the 355 and the 360...though the 360 is not missed.

With the TT-RS, we have got things done tastefully - no expense spared - with the mandate to the tuner being "IT MUST LOOK STOCK". That mandate meant things done cost a little more however the car looks entirely stock inside / outside. Underneath it has a few trick things which has improved considerably on the OEM product.

Back to your comments...I went to buy a car; not to think about it or dream about it...am not that type of person...if I want it I will have it...S I M P L E S.

The 991 C2S as tested fell short of what I drove there in...not sure how else I can get that point across to you. The key point for me is that the 991 was an additional purchase...I certainly do not want to have a garage queen...when my TT-RS as modded to my taste & ability is very capable.

Whilst I respect that you can have a view...it is important to me that you had the above views from me to understand the context of my review of a purchase that simply did not materialise because the product is hyped up by those who perhaps have not had cross brand experience.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wja96 said:
Patrizio72 said:
Everyone is always biased on these things, just like im biased in saying i would be happy to swap my TTRS for a Lamborghini lol
You say that, but I suspect you'd want your RS back after a couple of weeks. Lamborghini's are great in small doses, but they are totally impractical for anything other than a couple of hundred miles on a sunny day. There is a reason why they are ALL low mileage cars!
That is the 'money' comment which you can only understand once you have purchased; maintained and lived with a proper Supercar.

The opportunity to wind it up is far and few between unless you go to EU to use it on track where noise levels are not as strict as they are on the UK tracks - 105db is easily breached when you bolt a Tubi to a tractor :p.

Also, when you wind an LP640 up as I used to...everyone notices it...does not take much for a 'do-gooder' to take your private plate - what else...!!! - and inform the Law of your liberal right foot. So, if you cannot clear her throat and stretch her legs every so often what is the point?

Then there is the vandalism issue...assuming you can find a space to park an LP640 for starters. Ohh, don't forget the stares during these lean times...you do look like a proper 'Charlie' in a LOUD; BRASH; FLASH car when it is in real life no quicker than a smaller car like we all have.

I speak with 1st hand experience...for sure you have got to own a V8; V10; V12 once in your life if you have the means however let us be clear here...there are also downsides which often spoils the limited experience.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I could read your posts all say long... Informative, thought out opinions and great way with words.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
RockKramer said:
I could read your posts all say long... Informative, thought out opinions and great way with words.
Thx, it really is easier to comment with 1st hand experience.

Also, when you are emptying 'your' bank account for a purchase it is often best to buy what YOU like/want than get swept along by opinions.

Suffice to say, when you have done the usual rounds with a Porsche or Ferrari...the realisation that other brands can deliver same or better experience becomes so apparent once you dare to venture hence most proper petrolheads are not brand loyal which in turn means a Pagani; Wiesmann; Ascari can compete well.

Sure, a Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo are nice however venture left fields and the surprise in the way others deliver the driving experience surprises...heck, Audi showed it with the R8...Nissan showed it with the GT-R...both have easily taken Porsche and Ferrari die hards away...who would have thought ehh?

For me, the 991 is a great car though some of the traits from the first air-cooled 911 produced...the 996 which was my last new Porsche purchase over 10-yrs ago, is still apparent...the handling is 'Floaty' / Not planted as per my review...that surprised me tbh...!

The fix for the issues noted in my review will be costly if what we did to the TT-RS is anything to go by...erm, I will rather look elsewhere...thx!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts