Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had my 1.8 s-line roadster for just over 6 months now. Have loved every minute of ownership but am starting to wish that it had a little more oomph.

I have next to no mechanical understanding and wanted your advice on the best way to give it some extra shove. My previous car was a diesel astra which i ended up getting a chip but not sure if thats a possibility for a petrol?

Any idea's what would be the best route, how much it would cost and how much power it would add?

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
What's the bhp on a standard 1.8?

As has been said, get it remapped without a doubt. My MK1 was mapped and it makes a huge difference (30 to 40bhp extra on a MK1) so is a no-brainer really providing you use a good tuner (preferably one recommended on here).

Just be aware that not all insurers are mod friendly so check it out with whoever you're with at the moment.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
I just don't understand all this mapping stuff as my 1.8 gets to 35mph plenty quick enough for me!!!! :p :p :wink:

P.S. On a more serious note, its not actually all that much slower than my Mark 1 3.2V6 at accelerating at these lower speeds!

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
Pronoid69 said:
Thanks for all the help so far.

As i'm on PCP would it affect my re payments and i assume that i would have to tell Audi as well?
It wont affect your PCP payments unless your insurance is included in the payments but you do need to tell your insurers - don't give them any leeway to refuse payment if you have a shunt!

You don't HAVE to tell Audi you've had it mapped, but in most cases they'll know anyway as soon as they stick the car on their diagnostic machine. It's probably best to tell them anyway if you take it in for any work or servicing, for example tell them you don't want the ECU software upgrading as you would lose your remap and be returned to factory default settings. There are also horror stories of remapped ECUs being toasted by ECUs being flashed with new software.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Pronoid69 said:
Have had my 1.8 s-line roadster for just over 6 months now. Have loved every minute of ownership but am starting to wish that it had a little more oomph.

I have next to no mechanical understanding and wanted your advice on the best way to give it some extra shove. My previous car was a diesel astra which i ended up getting a chip but not sure if thats a possibility for a petrol?

Any idea's what would be the best route, how much it would cost and how much power it would add?

Thanks

Joe
**** NOS **********

:lol: :p

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Superb drive up to CArlisle on Wednesday night and heading back down to Portsmouth overnight! Managed to push the tiny weeny engine to 70 + a bit more!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Just kidding,

Just remember the professed fuel efficiencies you are told you get from a "Chipped" Tdi will not translate over to the petrol!

If you plant the GO pedal then it will drink fuel faster than it did before.

It will be fun though, try a tuner that allows a trial period, some do 2hr trials on the remap.

:p

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
So much crap in these topics on TT forums all the time by people with obviously no real experience.

1. Get a map from a proven reputable company ie APR
2. Inform your insurer, will increase premium between 60-200 on average
3. Dont need to tell audi. They wont know its mapped unless they test drive it, or are specifically going out their way to look for it. Diagnostic doesnt show the car is mapped. At worse if they connect it to audi tech in germany, the guys over in germany will know its mapped but your dealership still wont. Dunno why they dont pass on the info but they dont.

Ive had two heavily modded vag cars, I race them, break them, take em in for warranty work. My friends do the same.

Have claimed 2x gearboxes, 1x propshaft, 1x rear diff, 1x haldex unit, yet never ever had any issues at all getting warranty claims, and this is on the fast models.

You with just a remap wont have any issues, trust me.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
SuperRS said:
If one doesn't drive like a lunatic. Tyre, brake and clutch wear may increase depending on driving style.

Some remaps only work properly when using high octane fuel.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
TT-driver said:
SuperRS said:
If one doesn't drive like a lunatic. Tyre, brake and clutch wear may increase depending on driving style.

Some remaps only work properly when using high octane fuel.
Yes therefore it's best to go with a company like APR that leaves all Audi factory safety parameters intact unlike other tuners

1 - 17 of 17 Posts