Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOt sure if anyone's seen this on the old Book of Face, but I found it interesting.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
Nice viewing ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,838 Posts
The coolest guy on the planet. Absolutely humble but a showman too.

I hope he wins tonight. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,537 Posts
I can't decide whether he's cool or a massive bell-end. Definitely not humble anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,838 Posts
Spandex said:
WozzaTT said:
I can't decide whether he's cool or a massive bell-end. Definitely not humble anyway.
I think the simple answer is, he's both. He's ridiculously good at what he does, but the complete lack of humility makes him a bit of a dick.
He's a showman putting on a show. 8)

If you'd seen the TV programme broadcast prior to the Olympics about being home in Jamaica then maybe you'd understand where I'm coming from. I can see why he'd irritate some people in the same way that Muhammed Ali used to, but you either get it or you don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,069 Posts
rustyintegrale said:
If you'd seen the TV programme broadcast prior to the Olympics about being home in Jamaica then maybe you'd understand where I'm coming from. I can see why he'd irritate some people in the same way that Muhammed Ali used to, but you either get it or you don't.
I've seen a documentary about him at home... It was on a while ago, but was all filmed in Jamaica. He came across as fairly down to earth in it (he was still pretty cocky, but managed to to do the whole thing without playing to the camera, which was refreshing), but all that really shows is that he's capable of acting like a normal person sometimes. Most arrogant people are, so I don't really see what it proves.

Perhaps we have different definitions of 'showman'. The primary purpose of his 'act' seems to be to make himself look better (and to put other athletes down), rather than to entertain the crowd. Making Blake wait like an idiot to shake his hand after the 200m, while he finished his "look how easy I find it all" press-ups was a bit tragic.

Honestly, I think "you either get it or you don't" is just lazy shorthand for "I'm not capable of explaining it". You either buy into the idea that he's actually really humble, but just acts arrogant for the cameras/fans, or you don't. I don't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know what? I think he's right on the border of my own definition of what I find acceptable in terms of cocky v arrogant. If your start point is 'I like him' I think you'll find most of what he does borders arrogance. If your start point is 'I don't like him, you'll think very little of what he says is acceptable.

If you saw him chatting to the young Jamaican guy before the 200 and calming him down, then I think you get a true reflection of him.

Essentially I think he's three things:

1: a class joker
2: a nice guy
3: incredibly good at what he does.

If you're the best in the world at something, it must be very difficult to describe your performance in terms that DON'T come across as arrogance. Especially when you're asked questions like ' how do you think that went?'

Case in point. When asked about the massive reception he got when he stepped out for the 100m heats, he said something along the lines of 'well I expected it, because London loves me' I took it to mean just that. If you don't like him you might read it as dismissive.

Horses for courses and all that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Spandex said:
I think the simple answer is, he's both. He's ridiculously good at what he does, but the complete lack of humility makes him a bit of a dick.
Deciding that you can judge someone's personallity soley based upon what you see of him on tv makes you a bit of a dick.....................sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,084 Posts
Rich i love the way you bring him into play with Ali..........yes both were arrogant as heck, but both knew they were good at what they did. he is bloody good and entertaining.......tbh i think blake knows him well enough as a friend to know his show boating rituals spandy and take it in his stride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,069 Posts
Bung said:
Spandex said:
I think the simple answer is, he's both. He's ridiculously good at what he does, but the complete lack of humility makes him a bit of a dick.
Deciding that you can judge someone's personallity soley based upon what you see of him on tv makes you a bit of a dick.....................sorry.
Oh, the irony...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Spandex said:
Bung said:
Spandex said:
I think the simple answer is, he's both. He's ridiculously good at what he does, but the complete lack of humility makes him a bit of a dick.
Deciding that you can judge someone's personallity soley based upon what you see of him on tv makes you a bit of a dick.....................sorry.
Oh, the irony...
Haha sorry that doesn't work, I'm fully aware of what I wrote judging you by what you posted hence the apology at the end, fully aware of the ironic content. Once again you ignore it when called out and try and be clever. In fact you're much worse than Usain bolt when it comes to arrogance, he's the best in the world at something, and you.... well you're just you, a nobody on a car forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,069 Posts
Bung said:
Haha sorry that doesn't work, I'm fully aware of what I wrote judging you by what you posted hence the apology at the end, fully aware of the ironic content. Once again you ignore it when called out and try and be clever. In fact you're much worse than Usain bolt when it comes to arrogance, he's the best in the world at something, and you.... well you're just you, a nobody on a car forum.
Ok, now I'm confused. I can't tell if you're still being deliberately ironic or not. Do you know?
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top