Audi TT Forum banner

17" Trapez wheels

505 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ScooTTer 
#1 ·
Very shortly I will be the owner of a sparkly new TT Coupe Black Edition !

Back in 2008 I had a 2.0 ltr Coupe Sport which I upgraded the standard 17 " Trapez wheels to 18 " Turbines.
I had to sell the car and still have the original Trapez wheels.

I am looking at using the 17" wheels as winter options. Has any one used these wheels as an alternative to the
19" titanium look wheels which are on the Black Edition ?

If so have they been successful and have they affected the handling or ride quality in any way ?

I asked the dealer and was told that the Black Edition chassis is not tuned for the smaller wheels.

This may well compromise the chassis performance and thus not recommended and may have insurance
implications should there be an accident.

#2 ·
I think your dealer is talking slightly less than honestly. If you look inside the door there is a sticker that lists all the tyre and wheel sizes that you can use on your car. Mine lists 225/50/R17 as a valid wheel and tyre size, so I don't see why you couldn't run them. The S-line does run a slightly lower, stiffer, suspension than the standard car, but it shouldn't have any insurance implications so long as you tell your insurers that you are using a smaller, Audi OEM fitment wheel.

#3 ·
These wheels will be fine. My sline came with the 19in RS4s and I put the 17trapez on for the Winter. Still running them as never got round to putting the 19s back on. They are tucked up in the front room.
The ride is slightly softer than the 19s, but the problem is every time you look at the at the car with these on... Oh dear......
Is probably a good idea to let your insurance know, although I didn't :roll:

#4 ·
Ditto, as Minty ^. I've used a set I got from Ebay for the past 2 winters, with the same experience re handling etc. I didn't tell my insurer either, as I see it as an improvement to safety. If I just fitted a different make of tyres they wouldn't expect to be told. I also think the dealer is talking rubbish.

I've heard differing lines on what the official position is, but I seem to remember that the RAC or AA got one company to back down from a hard line on charging extra for fitting winter tyres, which is obviously ridiculous. Sounds like a typical Daily Mail story, though, so it may not be quite correct!

Anyway, IMO it's a sensible thing to do. Whether you tell your insurer, or not, is up to you.

#5 ·
To be on the safe side inform your insurance company of the change to winter tyres. I know LV and Esure do not charge extra, but they wanted to be informed.

#6 ·
Can anyone please advise me of the offset for these wheels as I've got some 17" ET50 wheels with 225/50 17s on and the tyres will be replaced with all-season ones.

Last year I used 245/40 18s on some ET45 wheels and they looked fine, but compared to the Black Edition 255s at ET52 I think the 17s are going to look a bit lost being 15mm further in on their external faces. I'm not going to go down the path of spacers etc just for a few months when my wife should be driving that bit more carefully anyway, and I'm not bothered that they say Skoda on them!

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.