Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title of the thread suggests I'm thinking about putting some 19" wheels on my pre-facelift TT. I've just bought some spacers (15 front & 20 back) and was wondering if there are any implications I should know about. My current wheels are 17" genuine standard 6 spoke. CAn I just sling them on or will other adjustments need to be made ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83,933 Posts
As long as the PCD offset and width are OK and the tyres are correct they will be fine but it will look like a 4x4 unless you lower it by at least 30mm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Many other factors to think about as regardless of the height, as the suspension will STILL travel to the same place (unless you have shortend dampers etc)

Offset, Rim Width, Tyre size will all affect the outcome.

for example, on a 9" rim, you will struggle with tyres of more than a 225/35 (which will still give you a mild stretch so it depends how you feel about it). If you took that same tyre and put it on an 8" Rim you may think it would give you more clearance but the fact that it will not be stretched, will mean the side walls will be more vertical and the profile higher.

Most things can be done though so If you can be specific on what you have in mind, I may be able to shed some light on a set up that works, without the tedious buying & trying (then selling and trying something else) nightmare that ive been doing for years!!!

Also, is it a quattro? if so you dont want to stagger the widths front to back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83,933 Posts
benfunktion said:
Many other factors to think about as regardless of the height, as the suspension will STILL travel to the same place (unless you have shortend dampers etc)

Offset, Rim Width, Tyre size will all affect the outcome.

for example, on a 9" rim, you will struggle with tyres of more than a 225/35 (which will still give you a mild stretch so it depends how you feel about it). If you took that same tyre and put it on an 8" Rim you may think it would give you more clearance but the fact that it will not be stretched, will mean the side walls will be more vertical and the profile higher.
9in will not fit on the front of a TT i Have 8.5x19in front and rear on both TTs with 235 35 tyres fitted on yellow I have ET25 with out spacers on the front and 10mm on the rear on the qS i have ET35 with 10mm front and 15mm rear spacers both lowered om KW coilovers set as max on the rear they both catch the plastic wheel arch liners when they hit a big bump but not the body work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
YELLOW_TT said:
benfunktion said:
Many other factors to think about as regardless of the height, as the suspension will STILL travel to the same place (unless you have shortend dampers etc)

Offset, Rim Width, Tyre size will all affect the outcome.

for example, on a 9" rim, you will struggle with tyres of more than a 225/35 (which will still give you a mild stretch so it depends how you feel about it). If you took that same tyre and put it on an 8" Rim you may think it would give you more clearance but the fact that it will not be stretched, will mean the side walls will be more vertical and the profile higher.
9in will not fit on the front of a TT i Have 8.5x19in front and rear on both TTs with 235 35 tyres fitted on yellow I have ET25 with out spacers on the front and 10mm on the rear on the qS i have ET35 with 10mm front and 15mm rear spacers both lowered om KW coilovers set as max on the rear they both catch the plastic wheel arch liners when they hit a big bump but not the body work
i beg to differ

9" will fit with 225/35 as thats what i have. It's close granted (more-so to the coilover arm than the arch lining tbh) but theres no rub and mine was dropped on its arse at one point and i would not drive it if it rubbed in the slightest.
When i bought the car it had 215/35 but that was a bit crazy so i swapped those as i wasn't happy about the stretch. But 225/35 on a 9" rim does work with the right offset / spacer set up (mine was et52 with 25mm pcd adaptor on the front) there is categorically NO RUB
The back has even more room to play with.

got to be honest though, I have just swapped to a 8.5" (ET43) rim to give myself a little leeway
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone for their replies - has anyone with 19" wheels got any pictures so I can see the height and stance ?

I was going to send a PM to benfunktion with info about the wheels I had in mind, but there was no option to do so on this site (and Ben, the website on your profile wasn't working).

The guys who sell the wheels (with or without tyres) say they offer advice and can set them up just right - but its good to know a few things that others have already experienced before trusting them implicitly ;-)

these are what I had in mind then - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/19-AUDI-TT-MK ... 672wt_1398
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Garth said:
benfunktion said:
Also, is it a quattro? if so you dont want to stagger the widths front to back.
You don't really know that much do you? :roll:
well i clearly dont know much about whatever you're going on about, but i know enough about messing about with various wheel and tyre fitments (as ive been through the mill with it) to hopefully offer some helpful advice.

I thought the idea of a forum was to be constructive not compare grey matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
anyway,

I'll dig some pics of the rear end out for you..

8J @ ET35 should be fine with the right spacer.

whats your current wheel / tyre setup.. (width, offset, tyre width and tyre profile) i can give you a diagram to compare how it will move.. and should be able to work out what spacers to get.

(and just in case you were wondering what i meant about the staggering thing, in my experience, when trying to stagger the wheel widths from front to back (ie 8 on the front, 9 on the back) it can mess with the haldex as (due to the aspect ratio being proportionate to the width), the laws of physics would make a discrepancy with the overall circumferences, which apparently, the quitter doesn't like) whether or not thats an acurate description and meets the "knowledge standards" of certain forum trolls , i couldnt say, but when i tried a 10" on the rear and a 9" on the front, it drove badly. end of. Various people put it down to the above, i swapped the 10 for a 9 and bob's yer uncle
boring

anyway, hopefully the rest will help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,336 Posts
You're quite right about the forum purpose, sorry I was just pointing out that the comment about tyre widths was incorrect.
The haldex system is not affected by tyre widths at all, as long as you maintain a close rolling radius front to rear it's fine. The whole point of the haldex system is that it sends power to the wheels that need it, therefore any increase in grip from one axle and the power would be sent to the other. You could in theory use 195 tyres up front and 275 at the rear with no problems as long as the diameter was the same.

Audi even sell the rs3 with wider tyres up front and other manufactures use the same system (haldex isn't an Audi thing, remember) with staggered wheels.

Sorry if I came across a bit blunt, I'm in a hotel on my own and I'm bored :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Garth said:
You're quite right about the forum purpose, sorry I was just pointing out that the comment about tyre widths was incorrect.
The haldex system is not affected by tyre widths at all, as long as you maintain a close rolling radius front to rear it's fine. The whole point of the haldex system is that it sends power to the wheels that need it, therefore any increase in grip from one axle and the power would be sent to the other. You could in theory use 195 tyres up front and 275 at the rear with no problems as long as the diameter was the same.

Audi even sell the rs3 with wider tyres up front and other manufactures use the same system (haldex isn't an Audi thing, remember) with staggered wheels.

Sorry if I came across a bit blunt, I'm in a hotel on my own and I'm bored :(
fair enough if that's the case and it clearly screws my theory if it is the case. However, i remain unconvinced as the term "close" in reference to the rolling radius is fairly loose. Alot looser i should imagine than the calculations made by those that develope things such as the haldex system. The rs3 is not a tt and I would have thought that theres a fairly strong chance that the system is geared diffrently and maybe actually taking into consideration the differences in rolling radius etc. I mean, after all Audi have their recommendations for tyre sizes as well as helpful advice like "change all four tyres at the same time on a quattro" which ive heard often.. anyway who cares, it didnt work for me and who knows who's right, so can we stop comparing cock sizes now? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
here you go mate.....my TT with 8j x 19" ET35, 235 35 19 tyres....with Apex -40mm Springs (back a few mm lower now i have removed the rear rubber spring seat) no rubbing, no issues, no problems :p

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
nice, any spacing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
lucky you!!! haha

so there you go, 8" rim ET35 is ideal for rub, and then its just about how long you want to go!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
haha yeah i know....could probably get away with 8j front and 8.5j rear but depends on how low you want to go....apex is a fairly good cost effective way of getting a decent drop without the need for back braking coilovers!!

haven't had any issues running 19's over the standard 18" RSTT alloys i had fitted before either :p :D :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,336 Posts
Dayer2910 said:
Garth said:
Sorry if I came across a bit blunt, I'm in a hotel on my own and I'm bored :(
Shouldnt he be working on the project, taking and posting new photos to add to the restoration thread? Chop chop Garth I came over here to see updates.... :p
Don't worry, bank holiday weekend coming up :grin:
You could phone my wife and ask her to go pick up all the parts waiting for me at the dealers... I dare not mention it again ;)
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top