Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Need your help fixing a problem. Other day my temp went high and I started loosing water. It was
my coolant distributor that had developed a crack (little black plastic part with hoses and temp gauge connection on it)
sit's at the side of the battery tray. I replaced this and topped up but my problem now is that my gauge keeps going
up to 110-120 then back down to 90 where it sits for a drive then when i come to a junction or lights it goes back up
then comes back down after a few minutes. I think I might have air in the system and if so how do you bleed this or
what other things should I check. My fans are coming on and my heater works fine.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,359 Posts
Hi Alex, What temperature is it reaching, check coolant temp using code 49c on Climate Control.

Temp can rise when stationary in traffic, especially if air con is off. Fans don't cut-in until 105 ish.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply but I need to understand how to bleed the system to rule out any
air locks. My bottom rad pipe is much much cooler than the top pipe.

The car was fine before I replaced the distributor but now it is over heating to the point
in which i have white smoke within the first 5 minutes off driving. I checked using the 49c code and
its going to 121c then the warning signal alerts me. My fans don't seem to have a temp that they
kick in so maybe they are not coming on when they should either. should they always come on at 105c?

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,359 Posts
HI, With a cool/warm engine (not hot,because of the pressure) remove expansion vessel cap. Start engine & allow temp to increase, any air will be vented off. Water will boil over if left too long..
Once expansion cap replaced, Fans should be running when temps get to 105 ish.
If fans are not running by 105, then that may be your prob. Check fuses on top of battery are all O.K. with no corrosion or burning. Leave CC off, because fans will run any way.
Otherwise temp switch on passenger side of rad, or control module beneath battery, could be the prob fans not running.
Hoggy. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts