Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To whom it may concern:

There's a very interesting topic developing on the German motor-talk forum regarding the power assistance steering of the normal front wheel driven TT. Apparently Audi released a software update recently that allows for choosing TTS parameters. Those who requested the update and got it claim there is more weight in the steering and less vibrations. Not every dealer wants to perform the update as they claim that it's TTS software that shouldn't be on a TT. They say it would violate AUDI AG support. Others have no troubles installing it.

In short it should work more or less like this:

Connect the car to VAS.
Select the power steering controller
Normally it should have parameter settings 235
Then when searching for errors/updates, the TTS setting should be selectable and upload-able to the car.

I don't have any more details than this right now. I'm not familiar with VAS software and certainly not the English terms in it. So it may all sound very cryptic or plain wrong even. Anyhow, a dealer who is fully up to date with all the ins and outs of VAS and who has updated his VAS recently with the latest and greatest just might be able to turn the house women's steering of the TT into a more manly version. Next month I'm talking to my dealer to see if he can do the trick on mine too. Otherwise I'm tempted to drive to a German dealer and get it done.

V6 models don't seem to gain anything.

The links:

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/lenk...les-audi-update-schafft-abhilfe-t3810593.html

http://www.stemei.de/pages/coding/audi-tt-8j/lenkung-anpassen.php

I'll update this topic when there are new developments...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
This is a god send because the light steering on my FWD TT is shocking! Adaptive steering is bad! Much prefer it more harder so there is more feel.

I'll be inquiring to my dealer about this. Thanks

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As promised, I'd return to this one once I'd been at the dealers.

Well today was the day. The dealer hadn't heard of this one before, but he was very willing to give it a try. And indeed, for my standard, non modified TT with still its original steering rack, year 2006, model year 2007, we managed to update the steering software to that of the TTS. How cool is that?

On my drive home, I must say the steering now does require more force to turn: Less fragile woman setting, more two hands at the wheel setting. This makes the drive more involving. Finally my TT feels like a man car. Wholeheartedly recommended!

The mechanic came back with a big smile after his short test drive: he'll be updating his TT too. The after sales manager asked me when I could start at his dealership. :lol:

I got the update free of charge as it was a very nice learning experience for them too. It only took about 10 minutes.

Oh and did I share with you guys that I'm happy with my new steering feel?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Good to hear that it also works in the Netherlands :) Which dealer did the modification, I am also living in the Netherlands and would like to have the light steering adjusted (sorry but cannot use the PM function yet)

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I promised my dealer to phone them next week about the result. I'll ask them then if they allow me to put their name on this forum. But you should always be able to contact your own dealer, ask them 10 to 15 minutes of their time with their head mechanic. Where do you live?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Heck, I'll go for this.... after driving an R8 for 4 days, I got used to the weight required to turn the wheel. When I got back into the TT, if felt like I had 185 width tyres on it.... I'd love for the steering to be heavier :)

Hope it works on 2009 cars too...I'll visit my dealer on Monday :)

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
knarf_st said:
I live near Den Bosch.
It was done near Amsterdam. So perhaps it's smarter to contact your own dealer first. He won't know about it, but when he's willing to connect his computer to your car, he can easily find out if the TTS software can be uploaded

knarf_st said:
Is the update really a big difference?
How long is a piece of string? In my opinion the steering weight was only right at illegal speeds. The weight that gets in the steering at higher speeds now appears at a much lower speed. That means driving on b-roads is now more involving and less wobbly in terms of steering feel.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cb543 said:
Can this be changed by anyone with VAGCOM / VCDS or does it have to be done by a dealer?
The software is not available in the car. It has to come from the mother ship. So only a dealer can do it. The dealers computer was asking for a CD or whether it could download it, so it could upload it to my car.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vagcom is out of the question. Software comes from Audi Germany. This is not setting a few bits and bobs. It's a remap of the power steering.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Very very interesting question. :)
I have the same feeling with the steering wheel.
I will ask to my dealer to do the same.
Thanks for the info.
Regards

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
ok so i called the audi dealer today i tried to explain that i wan it a software update of the power steering from a TTS to my Standard TT ... and they couldnt understand.

if someone could help me ? is there a code i can give them?

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi TT-REX,

there is no code and as you've found out the dealer won't know about it if he hasn't done the trick before.

So you need to go to the dealer, ask them to hook up your car to their computer. Once all is recognised it's somewhere in 'section' 44: the steering section. There at some stage TTS can be selected (yes here is where it goes vague as it all went pretty quick and it was the first time I saw the VAG computer). After selecting TTS it asks for a CD or permission to go on-line (probably because I was the first one asking). That's what they did at my dealer. Software seemed to come straight from Audi, was downloaded and uploaded and that was it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi TT-driver.
Another question:
Is the steering more responsive and sensitive when you loose grip, or only require more force to turn?
Thanks for answer.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts