Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there everyone,

My 2002 225 Roadster started misfiring tonight. When I first noticed it, it was very slight. But was getting increasingly noticeable. I just went out for a tester run to see what it was like and it was much worse, and getting more problematic, especially at low revs. At the end of the short run it felt like it was running on 3 cylinders.

The coil packs were changed some considerable time ago, in the recall.

The car has been serviced a few weeks ago, where plugs etc were changed. And was running fine until tonight.

Is this a coil pack issue or is there anything else that it might be?

There is no error showing on the dashpod, and when the car is turned on it says, OK.

I'm house sitting in Northampton and so far away from my regular mechanic and my own tools, so if it is a coil pack issue then could anyone recommend a place here to get the coil packs in Northampton. I have seen the guide for changing them and I think I can get the tools, so will DIY

What are people's thoughts? I've heard so much talk about coil pack problems, am I jumping to the wrong conclusion?

Any help is welcome.

Thanks, AL.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
95,372 Posts
Hi alastair, Sounds like a coilpack, could be loose plug & coilpack has popped off, have a check & push them back down, otherwise take it back to Audi for more replacements.
Hoggy. :D

·
Registered
83,936 Posts
Very good chance it is a coil pack check your local dealer to see if your TT has been in for the recall to have them changed FOC

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the really quick reply Hoggy,

I'll try your suggestion.

You mention if your suggestions fail to resolve the problem, to contact audi for another replacement. Am I entitled to more coil packs (free of charge) even though it has been replaced once?

Thanks again for the help.

AL

·
Registered
83,936 Posts
Alastair1969 said:
Thanks for the really quick reply Hoggy,

I'll try your suggestion.

You mention if your suggestions fail to resolve the problem, to contact audi for another replacement. Am I entitled to more coil packs (free of charge) even though it has been replaced once?

Thanks again for the help.

AL
No there was a recall to change the coil packs but once it has been done you are on your own

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is an update and a lesson learned too.

Went through the spark plug removal guide on the forum. And it was simple. I took the advise to have a look and see if there were any loose connections first, unfortunately there were none. I took the coil pack out and had a look. And then I got a bit confused, which number and letter combinations are the recalled ones, there was a long code on it which ended with the letter "J" and then also a code with the letter "L" on it. Which one is the code that signifies an original part that could be used to see if the recall procedure had been done.

Here I took Hoggy's advise and called Audi for further info.

Now I've put the car back together and I still have the problem, but I now have a smile on my face because the AUDI dealership told me that my car had NOT been recalled (which I questioned because I was sure it said coil pack recall in the log book) and that I was entitled to a free coil pack recall service, and a free health check and a free wash and valet!

I was put through to the booking desk who after checking my chassis number, confirmed that the recall had not been done!

So here is the lesson. Unless you have actually taken your car to the audi dealer yourself to have the work done, it is always worth calling AUDI to check. You might find, as I just have, that you get a free set of coil packs, health check and a free wash and valet, all for the price of a phone call.

Thanks to Hoggy and Yellow TT for advise.

AL

·
Registered
83,936 Posts
Result but don't worry when the Audi health check comes back with 101 faults they always do as they hope you will just take there word for it and get them to do the work

·
Registered
278 Posts
So it fixed the problem? :)

I recently had mine done FOC - also with a free health check. All mine said was 2 front tyres are at 4mm.............

I nearly fainted - I said to them there must be something wrong? You didnt find anything wrong??

The man behind the help desk laughed..... :roll:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ Olibb: Just had the car done this morning, runs beautifully again. The problem was the coil pack. And done free of charge too. On the way to the dealer, the engine warning light came on for the first time. Good performance from the dealer (Northampton), although I would be cursing if I had to pay for it!!!

I did get the 'health check done' free of charge too and this ranged from things such as a Registration Plate in urgent need of replacing!!!! Urgent!!!!! I've looked at it and I still can't tell what is the matter with it; A couple of brake discs; and pads; four new tyres, even though there is tread resembling the grand canyon on all four; Anti Roll Bar Bushes (£498 that's £80 parts and the rest tax and labour @ £95 ph); Drive Shaft Boot (£557 = ouch); a new horn???? Even though it sounds better than the General Lee!!!!; And some brake fluid (£57).

Yellow TT did say they would give me a list of things and he was not wrong!

I will trawl through the forums to take advise on the Anti Roll Bar Bushes and Drive shaft Boot and see if I can do the work myself at some time in the future!

Thanks for your help guys.

AL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts