Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Audi TT Mk2 2.0L (BWA) 2WD Automatic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to post my experience about changing my front brakes just in case anyone was curious...

The Front Brake PRCode for my car is 1LJ.

Parts used:
Brembo Disc Xtra Part # 09.9772.1X

Brembo Pad Xtra Part # P85146X

New Front Caliper Bolt Part # N90948802

I torqued the new caliper carrier bolts to 200Nm and the caliper guide bolts to 30Nm. (Source: Haynes Online Manual)

In general the job was fairly easy. Only the driver side rotor was stuck on the hub, but after a few firm swings of a big hammer, it popped loose. Luckily, the screws (T30 Torx head) that hold the rotor on the hub weren't difficult to remove. The replacement screws that come with the Brembo rotors are large philips head screws which I prefer and are less likely to strip in the future during removal. I used a wire brush to clean up any rust and corrosion on any important contact surfaces prior to replacing the new rotors. To help aid myself accessing the caliper carrier bolts to remove and replace them, I rotated the steering wheel to the far right when working on the right and rotated the steering wheel to the far left when working on the left. Also, when replacing the wheel bolts, I torqued them to 120Nm.

Photos Here:

Overall, I'm happy with how well they are performing so far. The prior pads were a little more than half worn and were OEM Audi pads and rotors.

If anyone has any questions about my experience, feel free to ask me.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,363 Posts
Good info (y) might be worth uploading the photos to the forum directly so they don't get lost in future

I've not seen these Brembo "Xtra" discs before but they look nice, where did you buy them from out of interest?

Reactions: DustinC

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
I’ve just completed my rear brake service as they were squealing all good apart from one slider seized got it out and clean up and ceramic lubed all parts (y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info (y) might be worth uploading the photos to the forum directly so they don't get lost in future

I've not seen these Brembo "Xtra" discs before but they look nice, where did you buy them from out of interest?
Normally in the past I've purchased these discs and pads from Amazon and AutoDoc, but recent supply issues have made it challenging to find these bits, so this time around I had to go to eBay. The few particular sellers on eBay I bought from were ambush-parts, oe_quality_parts, and vagbolts.

I've been using Brembo "Max" and "Xtra" Brake parts for the past 6 years on various vehicle. They always perform very well for my sporty driving style.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve just completed my rear brake service as they were squealing all good apart from one slider seized got it out and clean up and ceramic lubed all parts (y)
I originally wanted to do my rear brakes yesterday, but I didn't have the right tools with me to remove the caliper carrier bolts. I'll probably take it to a shop in town and have that guy do it.

·
Registered
3.2 V6
5,363 Posts
I've been using Brembo "Max" and "Xtra" Brake parts for the past 6 years on various vehicle. They always perform very well for my sporty driving style.
Do the centre hub and edges of the disc rust/corrode out of interest? Even after painting my current ones they look rusty, other cars I see don't appear to have this problem

·
Registered
720 Posts
Do the centre hub and edges of the disc rust/corrode out of interest? Even after painting my current ones they look rusty, other cars I see don't appear to have this problem
Yeah you need to buy rotors with a coating really. If you spray the NCAs with spray paint or whatever, that's just gonna come off esp. if you drive the car in winter. G2 epoxy paint will work well though--that stuff never comes off! Not sure how available it is in UK though.

Rotors that have factory paint applied or have zinc plating will last a while without rusting but eventually will start to degrade too.

Best are coated rotors--stuff like Geomet (various brands), Z-coat (Zimmerman), E3 (Raybestos), etc.--those type of coatings all hold up much better and typically lasts the life of the rotor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These new Brembo discs come with a nice black epoxy paint on all non-contact surfaces. Unfortunately, all of the vehicles I've owned over the past 6 years that I've fitted these on, I haven't owned long enough to know how long they hold up, but I'm sure they last a long time.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
D 322 000 A2 corrosion protection wax
G 052 109 A2 Lugbolt paste

Try VHT Flameproof paint

Use a drill wheel brush (brass) to clean wheel mounting surface.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts