Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I just got back from the local Troy garage and am slightly concerned. They said there was pretty much nothing in it but a vacuum test was good. They juiced it up and now it blows nice and cold. 拢69 Are they possibly funny at troy?. I got the car early march and remember the AC light would come on with the windscreen heating so it must have had some, but where did the refrigerant go if no leaks? I suppose I'll need to get a UV light and check on it.

I swear I cannot just get something fixed and that's it. It has to turn into an episode of csi with the blacklights out.馃ぃ

Registered
With a 2007 it's possible the charge was low without a major leak. That's about a 15 year old vehicle and refrigerant does escape over time even if there is no major leak in the system. That said I'd expect the charge to be low not dead empty but if they checked for leaks and found none, I guess now only time will tell. If it's still good in a year's time, you can be confident of no leaks. If you lose cooling by the end of summer...well that's a different story.

Note that UV light only works if you add UV dye to the system, so if it's just normal refrigerant and no dye in there now, UV light won't tell you anything unfortunately.

Registered
They did give the print out from the machine. 5cc of uv dye added.
Ah okay if it's still in there, you could have a look yourself--just get a light and some glasses. See if you can see anything they missed.

Registered
The rotating seal on the compressor will always leak a small amount. Over the years it gets worse. (This is why you should run the AC every month or so to keep this seal lubricated.) How many 拢60 top-ups can you get for the price of a new compressor? Of course there is the environmental issue of leaking refrigerant into the atmosphere but the effect is tiny compared to other sources of global warming.

Registered
The rotating seal on the compressor will always leak a small amount. Over the years it gets worse. (This is why you should run the AC every month or so to keep this seal lubricated.) How many 拢60 top-ups can you get for the price of a new compressor? Of course there is the environmental issue of leaking refrigerant into the atmosphere but the effect is tiny compared to other sources of government backed corporate theft.
Fixed that for you ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wondering, is there anything you could read in odbeleven to check levels/ pressure drop over time?

looking through the available channels for aircon system nothing is labelled.

Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
You might want to follow this thread in case you both have the same issue -

1 - 10 of 10 Posts