·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 AUDI TT Coupe (8J3) 2.0 TDI quattro Diesel
Front tyres Pirelli Cinturato 245/40 R18 @ 32 psi
Rear tyres Mazzini UCO607 245/40 R18 @ 26 psi
All tyres almost equally new
TPMS reset after each pressure adjustment.

Intermittent TPMS warning comes on:

1) Never from a first time cold morning start
2) Comes on maybe 2nd or 3rd journey, somedays never.
3) Warning ceases after leaving standing for a few hours.
4) Hotter days maybe more often.

Question: has anyone had this problem and solved it, if so how please?

Car Speedometer White Tachometer Odometer

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,979 Posts
I would run a fault scan and see if there are any fault codes realted to the TPMS system. Since it's intermittent, it might be something as simple as a dirty or corroded connector -

·
Super Moderator
12,979 Posts
To find out what the fault codes mean, what the problem might be and possible solutions, try a Google search for the fault codes using "Ross Tech xxxxx" where xxxxx is the fault code. If the code is available, you'll get link to the Ross Tech wiki -

01324 - Control Module for All Wheel Drive (J492)

02248 - Valve for Controlling Clutch Operating Angle (N373)

Hopefully they replaced the Haldex filters (there are two on both Gen2 and Gen4). Check your receipt to be sure they charged you for the parts.

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,468 Posts
If you have indirect TPMS, wheel rotation speeds are compared with each other to determine if one wheel is under inflated (as compared to monitoring actual tire pressure). This means all four tires could be OK but anything in your transmission / Haldex, ABS system could cause the error.

Having your Haldex serviced simply means that they changed the oil (and maybe the filter). This is a preventative measure, but will not resurrect damaged / defective hardware.

Looks like more troubleshooting is in order before a definitive cause can be determined.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Clear the Haldex codes. When the TPMS warning returns see if it coincides with a new Haldex code(s) being set--you'll see the km it is set at. Also, when you get the error do you have any codes set in module 65? Or any TPMS-related code in the ABS module?

If the TPMS error does NOT coincide with a Haldex code, I suspect your problem could be due to the mismatched tyres. You have different brands and models on each axle. Every tyre has different heat dissipation and conductivity characteristics. When your tyres are cold they are at the pressures you set them to. (NB: 26psi sounds low on the rear, is that actually what's specified on the TDI quattro?)

When the tyres heat up they are doing so with enough variance between the front and rear that the system is fooled into thinking something is wrong. It's expecting the pressures to rise similarly in all the tyres (changing the rolling radius by an expected amount if you have the indirect system), but that is not occurring...because they're not the same tyres.

This is just a guess but if it's not coinciding with the Haldex issue, that's what I'm thinking. On another note you may have either a defective Haldex controller or harness/wiring. I'd say that's more important to figure out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regarding tyres, the TPMS only comes on when the vehicle starts never in motion. The TPMS uses information from the ABS wheel sensors to detect a variation in rotation (tyres pressure) and then give the alarm.

I suspect the likely cause is a bad wiring connection or faulty wheel sensor, it could also be the control module. I always prefer to look for the simplest explanation first using the information I have and logic.

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
97,209 Posts
Regarding tyres, the TPMS only comes on when the vehicle starts never in motion. The TPMS uses information from the ABS wheel sensors to detect a variation in rotation (tyres pressure) and then give the alarm.

I suspect the likely cause is a bad wiring connection or faulty wheel sensor, it could also be the control module. I always prefer to look for the simplest explanation first using the information I have and logic.
Hi, This was suggested 2 months ago when you first posted this problem.
Scan required.
Hoggy. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I had it scanned and posted the findings at £60 a time, I don't want to give the dealers an open cheque on a solution - anyway I enjoy solving a problem 😏

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

Yeah okay in this case that's a system warning not a pressure warning, so the tyre pressures (and rolling radius) have nothing to do with it. When it's a pressures issue, it would be the opposite, you'd only ever see it when it was rolling. Might well just be that Haldex error that is also "disabling" the TPMS and popping up that error.

Another thought is more simple actually--a weak battery. When battery voltage drops enough that TPMS warning would come on when the car is started briefly and then go away as soon as you start driving. Granted you should also get some other lights on if that were the case, but perhaps the TPMS is the most sensitive to voltage drops.

OBDeleven is a decent option BTW, it'll help you read the VAG-specific codes and stuff, yes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I thought battery and so installed a brand new one a month ago with no change whatsoever, but the battery was OEM and 13 yrs old (it's spare now)

If I could I would like to just disable the whole function, I've managed very well without TPMS for nearly 60 years!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Yes I thought battery and so installed a brand new one a month ago with no change whatsoever, but the battery was OEM and 13 yrs old (it's spare now)

If I could I would like to just disable the whole function, I've managed very well without TPMS for nearly 60 years!
Oh yeah if you wanna do that, you can... It's not too difficult to "uncode" the TPMS and then the car will behave like it never had the option to begin with. This can be done with OBDeleven I'm pretty sure (it's easily doable with VCDS so should be doable with OBDeleven as well).

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
97,209 Posts
Hi, As they could be old codes, use the code reader to reset, take for a run & rescan to check what faults are current.
ABS control module could be causing the TPMS prob.
Hoggy.:)

·
Super Moderator
12,979 Posts
To better understand what the fault codes mean, run a Google search for "Ross Tech xxxxx" where xxxxx is the fault code. If the fault code is known, you'll find a link to the Ross Tech Wiki for that fault code which will provide you with possible effects, causes and solutions as linked below -

·
Administrator
97,209 Posts
To better understand what the fault codes mean, run a Google search for "Ross Tech xxxxx" where xxxxx is the fault code. If the fault code is known, you'll find a link to the Ross Tech Wiki for that fault code which will provide you with possible effects, causes and solutions as linked below -
Snap :ROFLMAO:
Hoggy.:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks, they were the second run after doing a reset on the software. These were the ones that persisted. My gut feeling, for what that's worth, is they are wiring/connector/corrosion issues which I would like to try to check out before spending more monies.

What I can't seem to find out is what exactly out of those faults would cause the TPMS alarm to come on. Each time I start the car no alarms whatsover, then I drive about a hundred metres or less and the TPMS light appears every time now.

I went to an Audi dealership today and they said the 00448 fault mean't the 4WD Quatro wasn't working but it may just be a wiring fault.

·
Registered
2006 TT Mk2 3.2 VR6
629 Posts
What I can't seem to find out is what exactly out of those faults would cause the TPMS alarm to come on.
My Haldex controller failed, and one of the symptoms was that the TPMS light came on. Also ABS and ESP.

The codes showing up were 01324, 01316 and 00448, which I see you have too. Removing the Haldex controller is quick and simple, and you can send it to Haldex Parts and ECU Repairs by Auto Fault Finder Ltd – Haldex Mail order parts and ECU repair services for testing and repair. (You can't drive the car while it's off though.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts