Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mew to the Forum and this is my First Post.
I have a 2009 Audi TT 2.0 TFSi S-Line with 89K on the clock
The car has a Misfire, after putting the OBD reader in it comes up with Code P301 which is Misfire on Cylinder 1
Now Ive replaced the Ignition Pack on Cylinder 1 and even swaps the plus around (just to narrow it down to what it could be)

i have also replaced a PCV Valve as that had Oil in. I have put 4 bottles of Injector cleaner in the Fuel Tank also just incase it’s an injector

Still the car keeps Misfiring and giving out the same code

does anyone else have this problem or had this problem and know what else it could be please ?
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,468 Posts
P301 is a generic OBDII code indicating a misfire in cylinder 1. While helpful, (narrowing your issue down to a single cylinder) the error doesn't offer much more than that.
Single cylinder misfires are due to one of two things, fuel or spark. If you don't have both you don't have combustion.

You've replaced a coil pack and swapped spark plugs around. If the problem didn't move to another cylinder then you can conclude they are not the problem. This still leaves you with the possibility of a fuel delivery issue (i.e bad injector) or no firing signal to you coil pack (damaged wiring, corroded harness connector, etc).

Lack of fuel will cause a 'lean' condition, lack of spark will cause a 'rich' condition. Can your ODBII device provide you with the answer? Unfortunately, without more information you are just guessing. You could try throwing parts at the problem (and maybe get lucky) or you could spend the money on proper troubleshooting tools.

I will reiterate the often-cited advice to first-time posters. Purchase a VAG-compatable OBD scanner if you intend on performing any real troubleshooting (or be prepared to have your car serviced by professionals..). The FAQ section at the top of the forum has reviews of several compatible devices.

Reactions: TT'sRevenge

·
Registered
345 Posts
The car has a Misfire, after putting the OBD reader in it comes up with Code P301 which is Misfire on Cylinder 1
Now Ive replaced the Ignition Pack on Cylinder 1 and even swaps the plus around (just to narrow it down to what it could be)

i have also replaced a PCV Valve as that had Oil in. I have put 4 bottles of Injector cleaner in the Fuel Tank also just incase it’s an injector

does anyone else have this problem or had this problem and know what else it could be please ?
Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
I battled with the same code and a cold misfire for a couple of months until I had a carbon detox done back in February which cured it. I replaced the spark and coil pack first but it changed nothing. See this. There are many companies you can choose to have it done by.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
97,209 Posts
Hi, As stated generic fault code readers can give false or no codes, so use a VAG specific fault code reader to be sure.
Hoggy. :)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

Keep in mind an injector can fail "the other way" as well. It can be leaking rather than not firing, meaning too much fuel is going into the cylinder, causing the misfire.

Typically speaking a misfire caused by too much fuel/leaking injector will be a catalyst-damaging misfire event, which will cause a flashing MIL. It will also cause the smell of unburned fuel to be noticed from the exhaust/engine. (Granted this could all happen if the injector is fine and you're just not getting spark, just the same.)

Worst case would be you have a broken valve spring or lifter or something, causing a valvetrain issue. While it's rare for it to happen, very bad carbon buildup could cause a valve to become stuck open, which could also result in misfire. Actually even worse is that plus a valve that has then collided with a piston and become bent, 'cause then the head is going to have to come off.

As said you've kind of parts-cannoned this already lol, so there's not much left to go. I'd probably first try to confirm the coil is firing (if you haven't already). Even a new or swapped coil won't remove the possibility of a bad wire in the harness connecting to it. If that checks out...have you done a compression and/or leakdown test? That's probably next on your list. If those check out at that point I'd start to suspect the injector given everything else you've done, and pull the intake. If that doesn't check out, then it's probably time to pull the intake and the valve cover/cam girdle--try to see what has happened to the valvetrain. A smoke test may also be done after a failed compression or leakdown result to see if a stuck-open valve is on the intake or exhaust side, but if a valve is leaking you're gonna have to start digging into it to fix that problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE

Sorry haven’t been on here much, but I have taken to a garage and they couldn’t find the fault. I’m now £374 out of pocket and so stressed. They done a smoke test which showed no air leaks

only one thing left to do which is replace the injectors but my friend who’s a mechanic don’t know a lot about these engines and says he can’t find instructions anywhere on how to take the injectors out. All the YouTube videos have different injectors. It’s almost as if it’s been modified ???

does anyone have a diagram of the TFSi Fuel injector system please ?

He said

The fuel injectors on gearbox side with a metal fuel pipe going into fuel injector

On the left of the rail of left of engine there’s a electrical connection but no fuel going to it is this a sensor ?

3 injector ? Doesn’t look Like There’s 4 ?

please can someone help as the garage want £1000 to do this job

this whole problem is a complete mystery

again all plugs replaced, ignition coils swapped around, even had a new MAF sensor from Audi but still misfires and confirmed no air leaks by a smoke test

told it can only be an injector but we have no idea how to replace as it all looks different ?
Please someone help end this complete headache

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,468 Posts
A couple of things...

Not sure why you would pay for a smoke test unless you were experiencing boost / vacuum leaks? Not sure why you replaced your MAF as that would affect all cylinders equally? The only thing I'm reading that might have helped was you replaced your spark plugs.

Coil packs are known high-failure items. It is one thing to move packs around to see if you can cause a problem to move but at some point it is cheaper (time is money) to replace the whole lot. You had to remove them to change spark plugs. That would have been a good time to replace all of your packs at the same time (You can still do it yourself as it isn't that hard)

You were advised that a generic ODB device was insufficient to troubleshoot your problem. Did the mechanic who serviced your car have the proper tools or was he guessing same as you?

If your engine is a TFSI it is a direct (not port) injected motor. This means your injectors are designed to inject fuel directly into the combustion chamber under extreme pressure. In order to accomplish this, fuel is pressurized by your high-pressure fuel pump (which could also contribute to your problem, has you cam follower been inspected?) and then fed into a metal fuel rail (most likely the metal piping you mentioned). All four injectors will be connected to this rail.

I'd respectfully suggest that if your friend needs instructions (Youtube or otherwise) to figure out where your injectors are hiding he is not qualified and you need to seek out the services of a trained professional.

Injectors can be rebuilt for a fraction of the cost for new if you can afford the downtime associated with sending them out for repair.

Reactions: wsantos

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,979 Posts
Best way to understand what those fault codes mean is to run a Google search for "Ross Tech xxxxx" where xxxxx is the fault code. In your case P0301, you'll find a link to this Ross Tech Wiki page (linked below) which includes a list of possible causes and solutions -

• When found in 2008-2013 A3, TT and 2009-2013 A4, A5, Q5 and A6 vehicles with the 2,0l TFSI (EA888) engines it maybe necessary to Reset the Misfire Adaptions.
    • As per TSB [01 13 73] | TPI [2033223] - 01 Engine warning light on after engine replacement EA888 2.0 TFSI
    • To Reset Misfire Adaptions: Clear the 01-Engine fault codes three times in a row in less than 29 seconds "to remove the programed values."

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
It could be mechanical, mine had a broken rocker arm, that wasn't ever going to show up on any scanner, I too went down the injector route and all the rest, I was lucky that mechanic number two was a competent and looked for this mechanic failure straight off the bat. Don't waste money on injector cleaner, pointless snake oil, if an injector is dirty it needs removed and cleaned or replaced.

You could literally end up forking out x4 times the amount throwing unnecessary parts at it and still not fixing it. GL.

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
I had two injectors fail on my 2009 tts. And it cost me a lot to get them replaced, near£1k but I had a oil change and brake pad on the rear done also, they are not cheap and it's a lot of labour to get them out and replaced ... mine had 56k miles on it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A couple of things...

Not sure why you would pay for a smoke test unless you were experiencing boost / vacuum leaks? Not sure why you replaced your MAF as that would affect all cylinders equally? The only thing I'm reading that might have helped was you replaced your spark plugs.

Coil packs are known high-failure items. It is one thing to move packs around to see if you can cause a problem to move but at some point it is cheaper (time is money) to replace the whole lot. You had to remove them to change spark plugs. That would have been a good time to replace all of your packs at the same time (You can still do it yourself as it isn't that hard)

You were advised that a generic ODB device was insufficient to troubleshoot your problem. Did the mechanic who serviced your car have the proper tools or was he guessing same as you?

If your engine is a TFSI it is a direct (not port) injected motor. This means your injectors are designed to inject fuel directly into the combustion chamber under extreme pressure. In order to accomplish this, fuel is pressurized by your high-pressure fuel pump (which could also contribute to your problem, has you cam follower been inspected?) and then fed into a metal fuel rail (most likely the metal piping you mentioned). All four injectors will be connected to this rail.

I'd respectfully suggest that if your friend needs instructions (Youtube or otherwise) to figure out where your injectors are hiding he is not qualified and you need to seek out the services of a trained professional.

Injectors can be rebuilt for a fraction of the cost for new if you can afford the downtime associated with sending them out for repair.
I was told by two garages MAF sensor can cause misfire on just one cylinder and not all 4. This garage tunes cars to a high standard and is highly rated. The mechanic is qualified and has been for over 40 years but the injection system looks different then normal I’m told, it looks as if it’s been upgraded in some way I’m told

smoke test was to see if there was any air leaks as the garages have both told me aair leak can also cause the misfire. So now we can take that one out of the equation

i didn’t want to replace all ignition coils as Money is tight and to add to it there wasn’t really a need a after swapping them around the misfire was still on cylinder one

but thank you everyone for the replies
I will have to try and get some pictures of the Injectors as it’s difficult to explain what my mechanic is seeing

he went down to another garage for some advice and they seemed to understand him and was very helpful and agreed the car sounds like it’s had some upgrade

whole problem really is becoming a true headache but at least when we get these out and inspected we can then erase another possibility from the equation

thanks again for replies

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,468 Posts
I was told by two garages MAF sensor can cause misfire on just one cylinder and not all 4. This garage tunes cars to a high standard and is highly rated. The mechanic is qualified and has been for over 40 years but the injection system looks different then normal I’m told, it looks as if it’s been upgraded in some way I’m told

smoke test was to see if there was any air leaks as the garages have both told me aair leak can also cause the misfire. So now we can take that one out of the equation
Your MAF (mass airflow sensor) measures the amount of air entering your intake tract. Your ECU uses this information to determine the amount of fuel to inject into each cylinder. While it might be possible for a defective MAF to cause misfires, misfires would occur across all 4 cylinders since the MAF is common to them all.

Vacuum / boost leak might also cause misfires, but again leaks would affect all cylinders equally.
Usually leaks will cause other error codes to appear. Smoke tests are typically not used to check for leaks but to find leaks that you know exist but can't locate.

Since your problem seems to reside with cylinder 1, troubleshooting should target items that are specific to cylinder 1. Replacing parts that are common to all is illogical.

As I said in my first post, "This still leaves you with the possibility of a fuel delivery issue (i.e bad injector) or no firing signal to your coil pack (damaged wiring, corroded harness connector, etc)." but before you replace any more parts you need to determine if you have a spark issue or a fuel issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

I have just had a phone call to say the injectors are out and they look full of Sot and very dirty and all around them is too

strange after I’ve put 5 bottles of injector cleaner in

apparently they are such a high pressure they can’t be tested at my local place

the injectors have codes on which show they are genuine Audi parts

does anyone know where I can get these tested and or cleaned please ? I’m in Suffolk but will travel to Essex or Norfolk

The injectors code is 06f906 036a

Audi want £200 each for new ones which is ridiculous

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,468 Posts
Injector cleaners at best will help prevent fouling, and only if they contain PEA (PolyEtherAmine). Lots of brands don't.

Even the best of them won't unclog badly fouled injectors or remove bad carbon deposits. Best to use a 'Top tier' gasoline religiously rather than add injector cleaner sporadically.

I would also suggest you perform an oil change if you added 5 bottles of injector cleaner to your petrol tank as you've likely contaminated your oil.
See: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/pea-and-amine-based-fuel-system-additives.211798/

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,468 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,979 Posts
This link might come in handy -

For cleaning, you can try these guys -
(www.fuelinjectorclinic.co.uk)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts