Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Audi TT’s MK2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Ive got a Audi TTS mk2 2009 2.0L with the DSG gearbox (6 speed.. not sure if they do 8 speed?) and had it since the beginning of the year..I’ve got a love hate relationship with it as love it when I’m on the motorway as it cruises through the gets but round town (I live in SW London) I could be doing 25- 30 miles per hour and would be in 4 sometimes 5th gear.. does anyone know why? And am I right in thinking you can reset the gearbox OBC as I know it reacts to the way you drive etc??

I forgot to point out it’s had one previous owner…Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
TTS 2010 8J sprint blue CDL
230 Posts
Hi Guys,

Ive got a Audi TTS mk2 2009 2.0L with the DSG gearbox (6 speed.. not sure if they do 8 speed?) and had it since the beginning of the year..I’ve got a love hate relationship with it as love it when I’m on the motorway as it cruises through the gets but round town (I live in SW London) I could be doing 25- 30 miles per hour and would be in 4 sometimes 5th gear.. does anyone know why? And am I right in thinking you can reset the gearbox OBC as I know it reacts to the way you drive etc??

I forgot to point out it’s had one previous owner…Thanks guys
I believe that is the way it works.
Mine is the same. They only do 6 speed in the mk2 DSG.
You can always shift it manually with paddles or the shifter (it will still shift up automatically on the limit).
Put it in S mode and you will see the difference immediately :cool:

·
Registered
Audi TT’s MK2
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.. I do sometimes use the paddles shifts it’s just I’m lazy I suppose… it’s funny as when I put in sports mode It feels the total opposite like I worry the engine going to blow as it’s really does take it to full RPM…. I know what people will say.. should of just bought a Skoda if you want to be safe😏.. if anyone has knowledge about resting the gearbox your expertise would be much appreciated..

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,351 Posts
Your DSG doesn't 'learn' based on the way you drive. However, you can get your DSG mapped (just like your ECU) to change it's behavior.

·
Registered
947 Posts
There's no 8spd DSG, either transverse or longitudinal. Even the one in the R8/Huracan is 7spd. (There was at one point plans to make a higher # of ratios transverse unit but those plans were axed--likely part of the fallout of the so-called "Dieselgate" where they went into cost savings mode and axed a lot of things that were being developed/upcoming.)

The 8J TT-RS and 8P RS3 with DSG do have the DQ500 7spd wet-clutch but most other PQ35 cars (and I believe all other 8J TTs) with DSG will have the DQ250 6spd. Low torque cars have the arguably more problematic DQ200 7spd dry clutch unit, but no TT ever had that as far as I'm aware.

And yes the DQ250 is like Jekyll/Hyde between D and S modes. S is quite "aggressive" at downshifting and actually seems to be among the most agressive "S" gearbox modes VAG has produced, as newer cars, cars with autos, they're nowhere near as "eager" to downshift/hold lower gears as the S mode with the DQ250. Most aftermarket tunes actually make the S mode less crazy, and the D mode a less eager to upshift with more sedate driving--giving more of a balance I guess.

Anyway I've had three DSG cars over the years, and 95% or more of the time I've always driven them in M mode. If you do that you don't much care about the auto shift points, and won't really care to waste money on a TCU tune either.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Your DSG doesn't 'learn' based on the way you drive. However, you can get your DSG mapped (just like your ECU) to change it's behavior.
WRONG!

The way DSG shifts in D depends on how it's driven during adaptation drive. Basic Settings will delete the learned shift points in D. Then drive in manual/tiptronic mode to teach the DSG what RPM to upshift when applying light throttle. On 2.0 the lowest RPM to upshift is 1,500. Once adaptation drive is complete the learning process is over. It will always shift the same based on what it learned during adaptation drive.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
WRONG!

The way DSG shifts in D depends on how it's driven during adaptation drive. Basic Settings will delete the learned shift points in D. Then drive in manual/tiptronic mode to teach the DSG what RPM to upshift when applying light throttle. On 2.0 the lowest RPM to upshift is 1,500. Once adaptation drive is complete the learning process is over. It will always shift the same based on what it learned during adaptation drive.
This is interesting. In times of fuel saving I've been wondering if even the lazy "D" mode is more efficient than me shifting "manually" in "M".
Your saying i can potentially teach the gearbox to drive even more efficiently?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
This is interesting. In times of fuel saving I've been wondering if even the lazy "D" mode is more efficient than me shifting "manually" in "M".
Your saying i can potentially teach the gearbox to drive even more efficiently?
Biggest factor affecting fuel consumption on petrol is tank fill. Don't let the fuel level drop below 3/4 or 1/2. The bigger the space on the fuel tank the more fuel turns to vapor. The heat from exhaust pipe and fuel pump causing gasoline to evaporate.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Biggest factor affecting fuel consumption on petrol is tank fill. Don't let the fuel level drop below 3/4 or 1/2. The bigger the space on the fuel tank the more fuel turns to vapor. The heat from exhaust pipe and fuel pump causing gasoline to evaporate.
:eek: cost me £99 to fill up last time. Tesco Momentum.

·
Registered
2007 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Manual Roadster Petrol Blue & Ice Blue Nappa
489 Posts
Surely this “evaporation” then recondenses into the tank - fuel doesn’t just evaporate into the atmosphere as there is a cap on the fuel tank and I’d pretty certain it is not there just for fun.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Surely this “evaporation” then recondenses into the tank - fuel doesn’t just evaporate into the atmosphere as there is a cap on the fuel tank and I’d pretty certain it is not there just for fun.
It evaporates to the atmosphere you just can't smell it because of the activated carbon. You can't store fuel vapor on something made of plastic. Look where the charcoal canister is located when you turn off the engine. You will see a colorless smoke going up.

·
Registered
2012 Stage2 TTS coupe
2,351 Posts
Wolvez said:
WRONG!

The DSG is adaptive in the sense that it compensates for clutch wear, fluid pressure, etc. After a reset an adaptation is performed to set these values, but that is not the same thing as 'learning' a driving style or adjusting to a driver's particular behavior.

I have read many threads debunking the myth that a DSG can learn but I've never seen an official Audi / VW document that supports your claim.

Perhaps you could link / upload evidence proving that a DSG can learn (not basic adaption)?

Reactions: TT'sRevenge

·
Registered
Audi TTS Mk2 Coupe
51 Posts
Interesting post

I’ve had my 8J TTS for 6 x months now and have issues in Drive with the car jerking when changing up on hard acceleration, have changed DSG oil, removed and refitted coil pack / spark plugs, Pcv valve replaced but problem still there although intermittent, I had both resonators deleted and replaced back box, any thoughts ? Heard of DSG adaptation / would this be worthwhile doing ? Does disconnecting battery have any effect ?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Interesting post

I’ve had my 8J TTS for 6 x months now and have issues in Drive with the car jerking when changing up on hard acceleration, have changed DSG oil, removed and refitted coil pack / spark plugs, Pcv valve replaced but problem still there although intermittent, I had both resonators deleted and replaced back box, any thoughts ? Heard of DSG adaptation / would this be worthwhile doing ? Does disconnecting battery have any effect ?
Yes the adaptation is useful however if the car has either an MU issue or worn clutchpacks any help/improvement the adaptation provides will be short lived--will drive nicely for a week or two and then go back to being jerky. In this cases a mechanical remedy is required.

Also when you changed your DSG fluid...did you put enough fluid into it afterwards? In my experience, you should always "overfill" it to some degree. If doing the "fill & drain"' method, I say cap it while it is draining instead of letting it drain out like it says to do. If doing the "measure & fill" method, I say add about 1/4 litre extra or so, to account for what the filter will soak up (either that or pre-soak the filter in the DSG oil). Overfilling is actually better than overfilling, so better to err on the side of "too much" rather than wonder if you put enough in. Obviously don't do something silly like put in 2L more than you're supposed to, but if you're wondering if you filled enough, add a little more because you probably haven't.

Reactions: Iceblue
1 - 18 of 18 Posts