Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2009 tts roadster
My roof hasn’t been working properly for years.
mechanic said it was the roof pump which was worn. I spoke to a seller on eBay and he thought it was the motor so I just replaced the motor.

and still no joy, its doing the same thing it retracts but then stays stuck in the down position.

so does it sound like I need to replace the pump? Which looks a lot more technical than the motor part

the pic is the motor part which I replaced

Attachments

·
Administrator
2001 Amulet Red 225 coupe.Owned from new as well as a Nurburg VXR & an XR3, all from new.
97,227 Posts
Hi, As usual, a VAG specific fault scan required, guessing will get expensive.
Hoggy. :)

·
Registered
2007 Audi TT Quattro 3.2 Manual Roadster Petrol Blue & Ice Blue Nappa
583 Posts
Could well be just down to the roof flap servo’s that need attention, they’re a well known fault of roof failure. Too much grease on the electric contacts can cause errors which result in failure to operate as the roof doesn’t know where it is position wise.

TBH, hydraulic failure of the pump is quite a rare failure, I’d be checking out the servo’s with a fault code reader before going that route.

A good place to star would be with a VCDS or OBDeleven fault scan to see if there are servio errors logged. A good read below

·
Super Moderator
2007 3.2 VR6 Quattro Roadster
12,995 Posts
As noted above, the first step is a fault scan using an OBDII device that is designed for VAG software in order to determine exactly what's wrong. Otherwise it's all guess work, and I would bet you mechanic has guessed wrong.
More on OBDII diagnostic devices below -
Roof Flap Servos are generally the primary cause of roof failures and are one of the easiest DIYs. Unfortunately, it will require a Ross Tech VCDS in order to clear the fault and perform the Adaptation. Other OBDII diagnostic devices like OBDeleven, can identify the fault, but are not capable of the Adaptation. More on that here -
For a good read on the Mk2 convertible tip operation, the linked Audi publication is very helpful in understanding exactly how your top works. Click here.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could well be just down to the roof flap servo’s that need attention, they’re a well known fault of roof failure. Too much grease on the electric contacts can cause errors which result in failure to operate as the roof doesn’t know where it is position wise.

TBH, hydraulic failure of the pump is quite a rare failure, I’d be checking out the servo’s with a fault code reader before going that route.

A good place to star would be with a VCDS or OBDeleven fault scan to see if there are servio errors logged. A good read below

ok thanks it makes sense it could be the flap servo.
If I remember rightly one time when I took it to the mechanics and he plugged the machine in, the roof started working for a few goes. So it can’t be the pump or roof motor?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I highly doubt it’s the hydraulics as they’re rarely at fault, it’s more likely the roof flap servo’s playing up that can result in a lockout of the roof switch from working and possibly the light for the roof coming on the dash and a DIS message saying that roof cannot be operated.

First port if call is to get or have someone run a fault code scan and check for DTC’s that will more than probably report things like implausible signals from the servo’s amongst other things.

Once you’ve had a proper fault code diagnosis, it’ll be simple to rule out hydraulic pump failure, but as you said, if it works partly, it’s probably not the pump as if it failed, it wouldn’t work at all…….

·
Super Moderator
12,995 Posts
The pump either works or it doesn't. It's a closed circuit so there's no where for the fluid to go unless there's a leak which is highly unlikely and very rare. I think in the 8-years I've been supporting this forum, I've only seen one Forum member report a leaking cylinder.

I think it's safe to say 99% of the time when there's a roof failure it can be attributed to one or both roof flap servo with excessive grease on the internal circuit board. Audi has even admitted as much, but won't make a recall out of it because it's not a safety issue. Typical Audi BS! :mad: In fact, even if they do a "good will" service, all they do is swap out your old one for a new one that can just as easily end up with the exact same problem.

I would guess a dozen or more people have done the DIY and sorted this themselves. In worse case if they had a fault for the roof flap, they bought a VCDS and ran the Adaptation themselves.

Even if you buy a Ross Tech VCDS it will pay for itself the first time you use it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks guys you’re very helpful! When I originally had a scan, it didn’t pick anything up it just made the roof work again for a few more times before the same problem.
So I might just buy a new servo, unless it’s easy to clean my current one

·
Super Moderator
12,995 Posts
Read through the Roof Flap Servo R&R post. It's a super easy DIY and a lot of people have already done it with good results. If there are no faults reported, you might get away without the need for a VCDS Adaptation. But then again, if you're using a non-VAG software compatible OBDII diagnostic device (e.g. Carista, etc.) then you may well have a fault it can't detect.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok well I took both the servos out and cleaned the contact points with alcohol. They both looked pretty clean anyway.
Now my roof doesn’t even go down, just starts the first process of lowering the roof and stops.
Haven’t programmed anything though so maybe this is the problem

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you took the servos out before checking if you had fault codes relating to the servos, changing or cleaning them may still require an adaptation using VCDS. did you do a fault code check before pulling and cleaning the servos?

·
Super Moderator
12,995 Posts
As noted by Steviejones133, you'll need to verify if you have a fault code. Odds are if the roof still doesn't work, you will need to either buy a Ross Tech VCDS to run the Adaptation, or take it in to a local shop who knows what they are doing and have them run the Adaptation for you.

The VCDS will pay for itself the first time you use it and can be used for future trouble shooting diagnostics.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Didn’t check if there was a fault code no.
ok I may have to get a Ross tech vcds then. Just pretty clueless with something like that.
I presume you plug into into the bit below the steering wheel and then I wouldn’t know what to do with it.
will need to buy a laptop too

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The pump either works or it doesn't. It's a closed circuit so there's no where for the fluid to go unless there's a leak which is highly unlikely and very rare. I think in the 8-years I've been supporting this forum, I've only seen one leaking cylinder.

I think it's safe to say 99% of the time when there's a roof failure it can be attributed to one or both roof flap servo with excessive grease on the internal circuit board. Audi has even admitted as much, but won't make a recall out of it because it's not a safety issue. Typical Audi BS! :mad: In fact, even if they do a "good will" service, all they do is swap out your old one for a new one that can just as easily end up with the exact same problem.

I would guess a dozen or more people have done the DIY and sorted this themselves. In worse case if they had a fault for the roof flap, they bought a VCDS and ran the Adaptation themselves.

Even if you buy a Ross Tech VCDS it will pay for itself the first time you use it.
how much can you get a Ross tech for?
They seem to be nearly £200 second hand
And there seems to be different models, does it matter what one?

·
Super Moderator
12,995 Posts
£200 second hand seems a bit steep. I think new they're not much more than that. Although with Brexit, the import tariffs and all have really affected prices for you guys. :(

The HEX V2 (3-vehicle) is all you need. Check the Ross Tech website and then look for a UK distributor so you know the unit you buy is legit. There's a ton of Chinese VCDS knock-offs on the market and you really don't want one of those!

Using it is pretty straight forward, just follow the instructions in the linked post to run the Adaptation. It's not that difficult but if you're really unsure, you might look through the VCDS Owners Post (linked below) and see if anyone near you can lend a hand or if there's a VCSD owner who's willing to do it for you

·
Registered
583 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here in the UK, Gendan appear to be the official stockists and they want £225 all inclusive of vat and shipping for a 3 vin hex-v2…….

I

I ordered a second hand one off eBay for £184 with postage. But it’s unlimited vin

another question, I’m looking to replace my faulty haldex pump, I heard you need to use the vcds for that? And apparently you need to prime/pump the system. Does anyone know what to do there?

·
Super Moderator
12,995 Posts
Are you sure the pump is actually faulty? Obviously a fault scan will let you know for sure, :)

There are two filters on both the Haldex Gen2 and Gen4; one for the Haldex itself and a small filter/screen on the end of the pump. More often than not, when the Haldex is serviced and the fluid is changed, they don't replace the filters. Check your receipts (if you have them) and see if filters were included. Hopefully all you need is new fluid and to have the filters replaced.

More here on Haldex -

And for your used VCDS, this post may be of interest -

·
Super Moderator
12,995 Posts
As a side note on the VCDS, Charles the Humble Mechanic has a couple of really good videos on how to get started with VCDS. And be sure to run a search for Ross Tech VCDS videos as they have a dozen or more informative videos on how to use it for various scans, adaptations and basic settings. I've linked a few below to help get you familiar with VCSD and how it works -

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok thanks for your help!
Well the mechanic said the 4wd wasn’t working and I needed a new haldex pump, so I’ve purchased one.
Guessing the filters are internal of the pump as no filters have come loose with it.

i doubt they replaced the filters for it in a service but will look later

1 - 20 of 69 Posts