Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My lovely lady and I purchased privately a 2nd hand 2009 TT 2.0 FWD on Friday and on the way home from Sydney to Brisbane (nearly 1000km) we experienced issues with the S-Tronic box after about 45 minutes in very heavy traffic, most of it stop/start never really getting above 20Mph.

The car started clunking into gear from rest initially and the started lurching from a standstill, very jerky and quite embarrassing to drive. It was quite hilly and we were concerned that the car would roll back into the car behind us before engaging gear. When it did engage it would bunny hop and wheel spin. Bloody aweful.

After traffic thinned out the car was fine, giving smooth shifts all through the gears and since then hasn't exhibited any real symptoms, however neither have we been in any heavy traffic.

We took the car to Audi today who ran a diagnostic on the car which showed zero faults. We are concerned as the car runs out of warranty in December and the car was nearly undriveable when it was playing up.

Where do we go to from here? I thought it may have been the mechatronics unit from my readings on the forum, but what can I do when the dealer says it has no faults so they can't do anything?

Other than that, my other half is loving the car and I reckon it won't be long before a speeding ticket is received :)

Cheers
Homer

·
Registered
366 Posts
Drive the car until it is warmed up nicely.

Then try driving at a steady 10-15mph on a hill. Stopping and starting should be smooth with no "kangaroo'ing" up the road - the s-tronic shouldn't feel like a learner driver is operating the clutch.

Try the same going backwards - the car should be smooth.

If there is any jerkiness, I'd recommend returning to the Audi dealsership and ask the service manager to reverse the car up an incline into a space between two R8-V10s.... THEN see if Audi think there is a problem.

Really annoys me this does... Audi dealers would be WELL AWARE what a faulty mechatronic feels like (and that the diagnostic machine will not show any faults). If you think there is a problem, be persistent.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum :) .

I haven't got an S-Tronic gearbox myself, but as you say it does sound like the dreaded mechatronics unit. No doubt someone else will confirm.

As for Audi - I would insist they have it in for an extended period to test it themselves and at any rate make sure you get to the bottom of it before the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys,

So this mechatronics issue doesn't actually show up as a fault then? Odd. Yea it does feel like a learner driver is at the wheel sometimes and it is very frustrating when the dealer simply says it doesn't show any faults so they can't do anything.

It was an absolute shocker when in traffic but it is hard to replicate when trying to demonstrate to the dealer.

Thanks for the welcome fellas :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Homerlovesbeer said:
Hi guys,

My lovely lady and I purchased privately a 2nd hand 2009 TT 2.0 FWD on Friday and on the way home from Sydney to Brisbane (nearly 1000km) we experienced issues with the S-Tronic box after about 45 minutes in very heavy traffic, most of it stop/start never really getting above 20Mph.

The car started clunking into gear from rest initially and the started lurching from a standstill, very jerky and quite embarrassing to drive. It was quite hilly and we were concerned that the car would roll back into the car behind us before engaging gear. When it did engage it would bunny hop and wheel spin. Bloody aweful.

After traffic thinned out the car was fine, giving smooth shifts all through the gears and since then hasn't exhibited any real symptoms, however neither have we been in any heavy traffic.

We took the car to Audi today who ran a diagnostic on the car which showed zero faults. We are concerned as the car runs out of warranty in December and the car was nearly undriveable when it was playing up.

Where do we go to from here? I thought it may have been the mechatronics unit from my readings on the forum, but what can I do when the dealer says it has no faults so they can't do anything?

Other than that, my other half is loving the car and I reckon it won't be long before a speeding ticket is received :)

Cheers
Homer
I had similar symptoms with my TTS after much persistence with my Audi dealer over a few weeks they finally replaced the mechtronics unit...... so keep insisting for them to replace under warranty

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mark,

How did u get them to replace it? What technique did u use to bend their arm? :)

For a car that costs about 55000 GBP on the road over here new I'm not real impressed it needs attention.

On another note, we have the same colour car! :p Deep Sea Blue, gosh it's nice but the paint has been neglected a bit and has fine scratches in it. Easy to remove?

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
You definitely need to insist that the dealer thoroughly checks the car - there's obviously an issue which needs sorting out. Audi are pretty good at sorting these issues for the original purchaser, even after the warranty expires, but as you're not the original purchaser you'll probably find them having scanty sympathy for you once the warranty is up and you could find yourself footing a seriously big bill to sort it out!

Give 'em no peace until they test the car properly- just running a diagnostic test isn't good enough, they need to test drive it in the situations people have described above.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I know it doesn't help you much... but my UK dealer recognised the issue and booked the car in immediately - they had the car for a morning and confirmed mechatronic failure the same day.

AFAIK, there are no fault codes - they need to DRIVE the damn thing... something which seems a completely alien concept to most mechanics these days. As I said, find a hill, get the car warm and get the service manager to reverse-park the car uphill into a space... depending on the cost of the cars either side of the space, this can be a white-knuckle experience when the Mechatronic has forgotten how to operate the clutch.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Homerlovesbeer said:
Thanks Mark,

How did u get them to replace it? What technique did u use to bend their arm? :)

For a car that costs about 55000 GBP on the road over here new I'm not real impressed it needs attention.

On another note, we have the same colour car! :p Deep Sea Blue, gosh it's nice but the paint has been neglected a bit and has fine scratches in it. Easy to remove?
I just was very persistent in the fact they could not simulate my drive to work and that it occurred in very slow traffic, they first changed the gearbox oil and filter, then they reset some code they thought was causing the problem, etc, etc

I did quote this forum from experienced people on here who had advised me........ so keep at them

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Homerlovesbeer said:
Thanks guys,

So this mechatronics issue doesn't actually show up as a fault then? Odd. Yea it does feel like a learner driver is at the wheel sometimes and it is very frustrating when the dealer simply says it doesn't show any faults so they can't do anything.

It was an absolute shocker when in traffic but it is hard to replicate when trying to demonstrate to the dealer.

Thanks for the welcome fellas :)
Whilst I can't speak for others, in my particular case there was no Flashing "PRNDS" or "Limp Mode" but under VAGCOM there was a clear sensor fault (G182) denoting "issues" with monitoring speed input on my Mark 1 3.2V6. There are numerous other sensors in the Mechatronic ECU which I would also expect to throw a fault code but some of these may also result in activation of one of the safety level features described above. It is of course entirely possible that other faults may not throw a code but to my mind this would be unusual as a fault usually has a definable source!! :)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
jonnieboy said:
Really annoys me this does... Audi dealers would be WELL AWARE what a faulty mechatronic feels like (and that the diagnostic machine will not show any faults). If you think there is a problem, be persistent.
+1

Been there before. Got them to replace my mechatronic unit and has been bliss since.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
jonnieboy said:
I know it doesn't help you much... but my UK dealer recognised the issue and booked the car in immediately - they had the car for a morning and confirmed mechatronic failure the same day.

AFAIK, there are no fault codes - they need to DRIVE the damn thing... something which seems a completely alien concept to most mechanics these days. As I said, find a hill, get the car warm and get the service manager to reverse-park the car uphill into a space... depending on the cost of the cars either side of the space, this can be a white-knuckle experience when the Mechatronic has forgotten how to operate the clutch.
+1

Mine had no fault codes logged.

I had to persist with my selling dealer and eventually a very mild form of the problem showed itself when I got them to test drive it a further time up a hill. At that point they suddenly capitulated and seemed to recognise that my description of terrible symptoms may indeed have been accurate!

They then lent me an oxymoronic A4 diesel sport (which I hated driving) whilst they initially entered into a protracted debate with Audi AG to fund its replacement (I tried for a complete gearbox!) before eventually proceeding various stages of dismantling/testing/consulting Audi AG and ultimately replacing the mechatronic unit...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Homerlovesbeer said:
You could put your complaint in writing to the dealer so it is formally lodged before the warranty expiry (and ensure you offer the dealer every opportunity to rectify the problem you describe).

Having said that, I expect they'll come around to your way of thinking well before then.

Good luck.

Do let us know how you get on.

I am very optimistic that this is a (simple) failure and that when remedied your TT will feel like new!

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Mack The Knife said:
They then lent me an oxymoronic A4 diesel sport (which I hated driving) whilst they initially entered into a protracted debate with Audi AG to fund its replacement (I tried for a complete gearbox!) before eventually proceeding various stages of dismantling/testing/consulting Audi AG and ultimately replacing the mechatronic unit...
In 99% of cases this is where they end up but they appear to have this escalation approach where they look for software fixes, change gearbox oil etc which is fine if they are paying!!! The other 1% end up in a full gearbox change but I have heard of very few of these!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yes well they do like to undertake the least work at-risk as possible, which is understandable, but the way they account for costs within the whole of Audi means that the total cost isn't minimal. And the process can get long-winded and quite a palaver for the customer. In my case the stealer seemed to be happy to do anything but only once Audi AG had sanctioned the costs as recoverable under warranty (the stealer thereby making good recovery on its overheads)!

I ended up with umpteen garage-investigations, at least two gearbox oil changes, at least two software updates and (eventually) a complete new mechatronic unit. Oh and an awful diesel A4 courtesy car for a length of time that far exceeded my patience!

Still all ended well, and I wish no less for Homerlovesbeer.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
I had the very same issues with my TTS, just made sure I went for a 30 minute blast before pulling in to the dealer. They had a mechanic come out to drive my car, he got as far as reversing down the car park, said he'd seen enough and a new mech unit was installed within 7 days, job done.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Mack The Knife said:
Yes well they do like to undertake the least work at-risk as possible, which is understandable, but the way they account for costs within the whole of Audi means that the total cost isn't minimal. And the process can get long-winded and quite a palaver for the customer. In my case the stealer seemed to be happy to do anything but only once Audi AG had sanctioned the costs as recoverable under warranty (the stealer thereby making good recovery on its overheads)!

I ended up with umpteen garage-investigations, at least two gearbox oil changes, at least two software updates and (eventually) a complete new mechatronic unit. Oh and an awful diesel A4 courtesy car for a length of time that far exceeded my patience!
Still all ended well, and I wish no less for Homerlovesbeer.
Indeed, a real pain in the butt! Hurt me even more as I had to stump up £2,500!!!!! :x

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok here is a quick update.

While driving the car today it started playing up while reversing up a slight hill, so my other half drove immediately to Audi to demonstrate the problem to them. It progressively got worse on the way so when the Audi mechanic got behind the wheel to take it for a test drive he didn't even get out of the dealership yard before stating that there was something wrong with it.

He also mentioned an Audi service bulletin about the problem but when asked whether we could Google it we were told that we wouldn't find it, only the VW bulletin, as Audi had been very secretive about the information becoming public.

So he mentioned something about the car getting an upgrade, however the car already had the latest software, so now the issue has been raised with Audi Australia and we await an answer as to what they intend to do. Should take a few days to get an answer.

Thanks for the input so far everyone, i hope we manage to get the mechatronic unit replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to print off a few of the Mech failure threads on this forum. Highlight the symptoms in each thread and hand them over to your dealer as well.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts