Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, im a young lad from lancashire who currently drives a 1.3 suzuki swift (laugh away) its a great little car for what it cost me (100quid) but ive got a reputation to uphold and i want to upgrade.
im currently doing some research on TTs and looking at the 5000-6000 price range. unfortunately i know very little about the cars and would greatly appreciate some tips or advice or anything i can read up on so im not completely in the dark.
also anything i should be aware of when i do come to buy one, which i hope will be sooner rather than later, and as most of the cars have done about95k+ miles im sure there must be some things i need to look out for.

i look forward to hearing from you, thanks daryl. :)

·
Super Moderator
24,444 Posts
Welcome to the forum :p

I would firstly advise to check into insurance...

From other posts on here I believe it's very costly and much harder to get insurance for a group 18 car when your under 21

Main thing to watch for is the cambelt/waterpump change at 60k or 5 years

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Daryl and welcome to the forum. My advice would be to do a search, there are loads of threads on here with helpful advice and tips on what to look for. Also agree regarding checking insurance costs as they are not the cheapest cars to run!

·
Registered
28,018 Posts
I'd budget around 2 grand of spare cash even if you get a good example with fsh, it may need a cambelt, arbs, bushes, alignment, service, shocks springs .... possibly some other hidden faults, dashboard.... just may need some money spent to bring it up to a nice standard.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Insurance is quite costly as the previous posts have stated and running costs are quite high for fuel etc to use as a daily driver. I previously had a 1.6 saxo and the jump to running a TT was expensive but well worth it.

Main thing is to take your time and find the right one for you though. Things to look out for is make sure its had the cambelt done if buying from a dealer shouldnt be a prob they threw mine in with the sale. Also the dashpod is something to look out for but someone will probably be able to shed more light on that as im not 100% sure on the symptoms.

Hope that was of some help and good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for your replies!

insurance isnt really the issue, as im only 20 at the minute with no years no claims im currently paying 2300 a year for my 1.3 swift. (ridiculous i know but ive got 6 points that come off in september)

ive just been getting some quotesfor a 180 tt worth about 5k with myself aged 21 and 1years no claims and it was only about 1800. i dont intend to spend more than 5500 on buying the car and i wont be paying for it all outright but aslong as i save myself a few hundred quid for anything that might need doing i should be alright?

im so jealous of all you tt owners.....

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
don't come on here too much if you plan on saving your money though :wink: the amount of mods I've done since joining on here is quickly becoming more than i paid for the car :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't wish to put you off, but you need to remember, while you may be able to pick up a cheap old one for 6k, it's still a £30,000 car, and repair and upkeep costs are of a 30k car...
I don't know your financial situation, but I'd personally spend more money for a newer and lower milage one. If you do decide to buy one, I'd agree in saying have a few thousand spare for repairs and upkeep.

·
Super Moderator
24,444 Posts
darylbirkby7 said:
insurance isnt really the issue, as im only 20 at the minute with no years no claims im currently paying 2300 a year for my 1.3 swift. (ridiculous i know but ive got 6 points that come off in september)
Nearly fell off the sofa reading that :eek:

Points stay on for four years, but reckon it will be massively cheaper once they have gone :wink:

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
darylbirkby7 said:
thanks for your replies!

ive just been getting some quotesfor a 180 tt worth about 5k with myself aged 21 and 1years no claims and it was only about 1800. i dont intend to spend more than 5500 on buying the car and i wont be paying for it all outright but aslong as i save myself a few hundred quid for anything that might need doing i should be alright?

im so jealous of all you tt owners.....
A few hundred quid probably isn't gonna cut it unless you're extremely careful in choosing your car. Plus I found 225 TT's to be no more expensive than 180's when I was looking to buy. For 5500 you're going to be looking at high mileage examples, or cars with things wrong with them already. As wak says, all of those things may need replacing on a car that may look really nice at first glance. Repair bills can quickly ramp up into the thousands.

The cost of running is a big leap also so you'll have to budget for that.

New tyres range realistically from £75 each up fitted per tyre compared to £45, and won't last nearly as long as on your old car. Your fuel bill is probably looking at being 50% more than you're used to. Servicing is £200-£350 every year or so, car tax is £235 a year now, couple that with insurance you're looking at a lot of expense for the car.

Not trying to put you off as I did something similar and haven't regretted it one second but you need to be aware that it's not all sunshine and butterflies.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
well im 22, started the insurance policy when i was 21 and i pay £658 fully comp.............im glad i am coming up to 5 years no claims :)
But as others have said, there a great car if you dont have problems, but some people come on here and have problems that spiral up and up and end up spending the same amount on the car as they bought it for so be prepared, and if you can i would honestly put some money aside each month even if its only £50 or so, so if you do have any expensive issue's you have got a bit of a lump sum put towards repairs or parts :)

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
darylbirkby7 said:
hi all, im a young lad from lancashire who currently drives a 1.3 suzuki swift (laugh away) its a great little car for what it cost me (100quid) but ive got a reputation to uphold and i want to upgrade.
im currently doing some research on TTs and looking at the 5000-6000 price range. unfortunately i know very little about the cars and would greatly appreciate some tips or advice or anything i can read up on so im not completely in the dark.
also anything i should be aware of when i do come to buy one, which i hope will be sooner rather than later, and as most of the cars have done about95k+ miles im sure there must be some things i need to look out for.

i look forward to hearing from you, thanks daryl. :)
Hi Daryl,

Where abouts in Lancs are you from??

Mike

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
At 21 I paid £780 fully comp on my 225 quattro with a map and induction kit and fORGE VALVE DECLEARED.

Now 23 and pay £669 and heavily modified

·
Registered
10,498 Posts
I hate threads like these, they remind me how much cars cost!

You already know about the insurance costs. There is no different in insurance between a 180 and a 225, so get a 225 if you can find a model cheap enough. 180s tend to come in a few hundred less than a 225. Roadsters are more expensive to insure.

Buying a really early model, especially with high mileage comes with all the issues of a car of it's age (as per Wak's post). The newer you get, the less risk there is of something going wrong. These cars are quite complex, which tends to cause issues. Although the only additional item to a standard VW service is the Haldex, which will cost about £50 more.

You can expect 25mpg plus if you drive sensibly, you can work out the fuel costs from here (in order to achieve maximum power from the vehicle you have to use 98 RON fuel).

Tax is band K, which for an oldie is £205 a month. Note: Before the recession the government planned to put this band up to over £400/year.

Good luck, and don't kill ya self with the jump in power.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I dont know. Could be Elephant, Bell, HIC or Brentacre Ive been with them all.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.