Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Just bought a 2000 tt coupe with a shot engine (top end locked up) I started by taking the head off to see if I could get away with a new head however the valves have hit the pistons and scored the top of the bore so I totted up the costs and have got a 66,000 mile engine on its way to me (bare engine) the one in the car had done 110000, Thought as matter of course I would sent the turbo off for inspection and they caled me to say it was shot and needed a new cartrige 399 plus vat not sure what route to take with the turbo now and also was wondering if I could get away with pulling the engine and leaving the gearbox in situe ???

Any advice appreciated

Regards Ben :?

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
Best to remove gearbox.. think the transfer box heading to the prop would make it difficult to shif the block with the gearbox there..

as for the turbo... recon, new turbo, change turbo for bigger one.. choice is yours..

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Just took my engine out and put it back. It is desinged so that it is pretty easy to take out as one piece (head+engine+gearbox), just pull it out with engine crane. Harness is PITA to work with but other than that it's not hard.

Taking just the head and turbo off while engine is in the car is quite diffucult. Tons of things to disconnect and very limited space to work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I really struggled to get the head off wish I had just taken the whole lot out now, I have been told to remove the sump on the new engine and check the oil pick up tube as its prone to blocking up and causing lack of oil to the top end

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.