Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
First post on this forum, which I read a lot, so be gentle!
I have just had all four 9 spoke allows refurbished with Lepson's, the only place to get wheels done! Whilst I had the car on 4 axle stands, I noticed the back coil springs were broken so I decided, before I put the new wheels back on, to replace the springs and the shock absorbers too! I did that last weekend and it was a challenge. Despite reading how the springs just seem to fall out(!) and new ones just slot in (most How To guides do not mention how difficult it is to get the new springs in or to use standard compressors on the springs is almost impossible!), I managed to complete the job.

Now looking at the car, the back seems rather raised. I have sort of put this down to the springs being new and complete - the old springs are clearly shorter due to the top and tail of them being snapped off (wonder where those bits went!!). But I couldn't help but notice that the old springs look different - meaning that the old springs look different to each other! One of the old springs looks like it could be the same as the ones I replaced, with a chunk missing from the bottom of it, but the other one looks like thinner steel and smaller - I mean, there doesn't seem to be as many 'turns' in it compared to the other side, and also compared to the new springs?

But back to my case in point, I liked that the car looked rather lowered - maybe not intentionally, but does the 3.2 V6 run lower, like a proper sports car would? So now I'm wondering if the springs I really need are 'special' sports 3.2 springs?? Do they exist?
I'm loathe to change them again given the effort I had putting the new ones in but I would be willing to do it to get the car back to its original height.
I bought these springs - 2x Coil Springs (Pair Set) fits AUDI TT 8N3 3.2 Rear 03 to 06 Suspension KYB | eBay
They are certainly the right springs according to the description but again I'm wondering if I should get some 'lowered' springs?

I now need to do the front suspension and somebody has told me this is double the effort of the back, so I'm not looking forward to that, but the How To guides make it look relatively easy!!
But again, any advice on what I should be buying for this model of TT? Should they be 'lowered' springs/shocks?

Thanks in advance.
Donald

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I’m not an expert on the 3.2 as I have a lowly 4 cylinder :LOL:, but have a look at this recent thread on rear springs for background info…..

Spring replacement can be a nightmare to achieve the correct ride height.

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
1J0511115DD (2x silver dots) is the rear spring my Sept 2003 V6 has. I replaced them both in 2020 when one broke.
I got an OEM pair from Audi.
So if that KYB spring is an accurate match for 1J0511115DD then they may be correct for your car.
I know another member on here with a 2004 V6 had different rear springs though, so they are not all the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got no chance of seeing any dots on the old springs - they are broken anyway but also quite aged (slightly rusted). I've checked them and there is nothing like a dot on them! And I doubt they are originals anyway so that is a pointless exercise!

I chatted to a guy who has a TT and has restored a couple before and he says Eibach is the best springs to get and KYB make the best the absorbers so that seems like a good combination. I've seen some of the rear Eiback springs and they 'look' shorter than the KYB springs I put in.
Looking at the car again, I really am not happy about the height. This is a good sports looking car and the height just doesn't lend itself to that low profile look of a sports car! I need to bite the bullet and get lower springs!!

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Springs for sport suspension (also post facelift) will give you 350mm centre wheel to arch (will be listed as -20 lowering springs)
Springs for standard suspension will give 370mm

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If you go aftermarket, the only ones currently made for the V6 are by Neuspeed. You will find the others listed as fitting, but in reality, they are for the 4 cylinder cars, and the spring rates on the fronts will not be correct for the extra weight of the V6 lump, and your ride quality will suck. I know, because I bought a set of H&Rs before figuring this out. After that, I dug in and did extensive research and found folks like Eibach used to make them for the V6, but no longer do So, the H&R's are now sitting in a box in my basement.... (anyone State side interested in a barely used set of 4 cylinder H&Rs, shoot me a PM) Here's what you need for the V6, if go the aftermarket route:

The car has a nice stance on these. Here's a pic:

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you go aftermarket, the only ones currently made for the V6 are by Neuspeed.
Are these available in the UK?

Springs for sport suspension (also post facelift) will give you 350mm centre wheel to arch (will be listed as -20 lowering springs)
Springs for standard suspension will give 370mm
I've just measured mine and the centres are about 380mm - far too high IMO. I defo need to sort this. Its look horrible!!

·
Registered
3,662 Posts

I've just measured mine and the centres are about 380mm - far too high IMO. I defo need to sort this. Its look horrible!!
Not listed for the 3.2 but will fit. I have these on the front of my 225 and actually got 350mm height rather than the 345 they should have given.
They are about 10% stiffer than the standard springs so might be ok on the 3.2 (just be careful of the sump)
And a good price for all 4 LO LOWERING SPRINGS for AUDI TT Mk1 QUATTRO 1998-2007 25mm | eBay
I would fit new front struts and rear shocks at the same time, fresh good compression damping on a new strut will help stop potential sump strikes on undulating roads.

·
Registered
473 Posts
[/QUOTE]

It seems you’ve been sold the wrong springs. It is a common problem with the TT, there seems to be so many different springs that often people end up in this situation.

Are you able to go back to where you got them from and get them to get the correct springs you need, for you?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I don't honestly know, but give them a call or shoot them an email. I talked to them at length prior to buying my set from them. I've also shipped some really heavy stuff from your side of the world to mine, and it wasn't too expensive. Getting the right stuff is worth a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Not listed for the 3.2 but will fit.
Fitting and being stiffer has nothing to do with being the proper rate for the extra weight of the V6. Proper V6 front springs are not the same as 4 cylinder springs. Sure, they'll "work", but it's not optimum. Been there/done that.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Fitting and being stiffer has nothing to do with being the proper rate for the extra weight of the V6. Proper V6 front springs are not the same as 4 cylinder springs. Sure, they'll "work", but it's not optimum. Been there/done that.
They would be nearer the correct rate than using standard 225 springs. I was giving him a possible option if others were not available. For the price of them i would take a chance if the correct stuff wasn't available.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
They would be nearer the correct rate than using standard 225 springs. I was giving him a possible option if others were not available. For the price of them i would take a chance if the correct stuff wasn't available.
Gotcha. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
How about a set of good coilovers? There are good ones out there like AP Suspension you can get for around 570 euros (not sure what they cost in the uk though)

You can choose the ride height you want and adjust later if you're not happy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, update!
I was given a full set of springs from a 3.2 V6 by a friend of mine last night. All 4 springs in good condition and the rear springs 'look' like the right height - the new ones are just too big!
So, will get some front struts today with some new bolts and plates and will have a jolly weekend!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It seems you’ve been sold the wrong springs. It is a common problem with the TT, there seems to be so many different springs that often people end up in this situation.

Are you able to go back to where you got them from and get them to get the correct springs you need, for you?
I bought these on eBay and to be honest, I'm not sure how it will go to get them out! I had a hell of a job getting them in! I might just cut them out!
And to be fair to the seller, they are listed as replacements for my car and there are plenty of others selling them. As this thread has shown me, springs for this car can vary a lot from year to year and that this topic is a nightmare to get right, so I'm not blaming the seller. Just fix it and move on....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These are the springs I purchased.
Pink Line Font Natural material Pattern

And these are the springs I think I need.
Automotive tire Material property Synthetic rubber Font Bicycle part

You can tell the difference with the number of turns each spring has. The top springs have essentially 4 turns and are tall. The bottom photo has 3 turns and are shorter.
I do realise that its all about the rating of the springs, but I have the top springs fitted right now and they just don't look right. The car just sits too high and looks terrible,

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
These are the new 1J0511115DD rears I got in 2020:
Shoe Font Metal Art Fashion accessory

and the old springs I took off (2x silver dots visible on the broken spring):
Wood Font Pattern Metal Audio equipment

1 - 20 of 28 Posts