Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I can see me trying, but, given the weighty little beast that a TT is, what would people do to shave 100kg off ? Is it possible without too much work and still keep the functionality ?

Seems much easier to tackle the rear (get rid of spare, delete rear seat, remove ballast weights from under bumper etc) but much harder to take corresponding weight from the front.

Then again, a diet might do me good (so there's 10kg).

What bits weigh what (might be useful to know for a sticky) ?

Spare wheel ?
Rear Seat (- replacement netting or whatever) ?
Ballast weights ?
Secondary air whotsit ?
Change front seats to Recaros or similar ?

Ho hum

·
Registered
290 Posts
liffy99 said:
Not that I can see me trying, but, given the weighty little beast that a TT is, what would people do to shave 100kg off ? Is it possible without too much work and still keep the functionality ?

Seems much easier to tackle the rear (get rid of spare, delete rear seat, remove ballast weights from under bumper etc) but much harder to take corresponding weight from the front.

Spare wheel ?
Ballast weights ?
Secondary air whotsit ?

Ho hum
Resite the battery into the boot

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
TTmarlin said:
liffy99 said:

Spare wheel ?
Ballast weights ?
Secondary air whotsit ?

Ho hum
Resite the battery into the boot
Does this save weight? All the extra heavy gauge wire added it will add weight, it is good for balance?
Maybe better to change the battery for a light weight one? You prob will struggle getting the kick form a light weight one in the boot.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
TTmarlin said:
if you remove the ballast weight from behind the bumper, then resite the battery to the boot, like in my QS. you start to address the problem of weight distribution,
I have no ballast and no weight problem :wink:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Rip out the air con........

Condenser
Compressor
Evaporator
Hoses and Tube work
That will mean most of the dash will already be out and you can pick off the bits of that as well .....

Plastic windows with a NASCAR flap next and ditch the electric motors...

Ditch all the sound proofing and carpet...

Light weigh alloy wheels.....

Inner wings.......

Passenger seat?.......

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Remove the unbelievably heavy front seats and replace them with a set of Recaro Pole Positions, you won't believe the difference this alone will make, and again get the rear seats out and fit the QS rear seat delete kit, again its only when you've removed and replaced them you realise just how heavy they are! :eek: I noticed the rear sitting slightly higher after fitting the delete kit. :p
The car feels much more nimble and brisker after having replaced the original items.
Another thing to look at is your wheels, some good quality wheels and tyres can mare quite a difference in weight (and a reduction in unsprung weight).
You could try Capital Seating for Recaro prices (forget Recaro UK, a useless bunch of incompetent, lazy twats).
VAGParts had good prices for the seat delete kit when I was looking, might be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If you remove the engine and gearbox that would save a fair bit of weight :wink:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Silversea said:
Remove the unbelievably heavy front seats and replace them with a set of Recaro Pole Positions, you won't believe the difference this alone will make,
i'll find out in a couple of weeks when mine turn up :)

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
caney said:
Silversea said:
Remove the unbelievably heavy front seats and replace them with a set of Recaro Pole Positions, you won't believe the difference this alone will make,
did u get the yellow ones off ebay?

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Stub said:
caney said:
Silversea said:
no,ordered a pair of all black ones from capital seating

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
caney said:
Stub said:
caney said:
Silversea said:
no,ordered a pair of all black ones from capital seating
PM'd :)

·
Registered
84,234 Posts
Silversea said:
Remove the unbelievably heavy front seats and replace them with a set of Recaro Pole Positions
I might have to give that a try Des :p :wink:

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
YELLOW_TT said:
Silversea said:
Remove the unbelievably heavy front seats and replace them with a set of Recaro Pole Positions
How did you get on Andy? Did you get the rest of the car painted to match??? :p (I know you want to!! :lol: ).
I trust you're a happy man! I know I was. :wink:

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
caney said:
Silversea said:
Good on you Steve, you won't be dissapointed! :p

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
- Never fill the tank up to full. Petrol wieghs about 5 to 6 pounds per gallon. (not a problem with the cost of Petrol lately.)

- Drain all the other fluids to min levels.

- Scrap all the paint off and buff the sheet metal. Paint wieghs about 6 pounds a gallon. Must be about 5 gallons of primer and paint on the TT

- Remove 2 lug nuts per wheel, 3 will keep it on tight enough

- Always take a piss before setting off for a drive

- Move the battery to your garage floor and park on hills with the pointy end of the TT facing down.

- Dont listen to Radio 1 while driving -- because that fat bastard yapping will just make the car feel bloated and sluggish

- Hope this helps
8)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
TTitan said:
- Never fill the tank up to full. Petrol wieghs about 5 to 6 pounds per gallon. (not a problem with the cost of Petrol lately.)

- Scrap all the paint off and buff the sheet metal. Paint wieghs about 6 pounds a gallon. Must be about 5 gallons of primer and paint on the TT

- Move the battery to your garage floor and park on hills with the pointy end of the TT facing down.

- Dont listen to Radio 1 while driving -- because that fat bastard yapping will just make the car feel bloated and sluggish

- Hope this helps
8)
:lol:

·
Registered
290 Posts
TTitan said:

- Hope this helps
8)
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

·
Registered
84,234 Posts
Silversea said:
YELLOW_TT said:
Silversea said:
How did you get on Andy? Did you get the rest of the car painted to match??? :p (I know you want to!! :lol: ).
I trust you're a happy man! I know I was. :wink:
They only arrived last week one of the runners on the passenger side were damager damaged in the post waiting for a new one coming from Capital

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.