Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, using my UDM (Ultimate Detailing Machine), I polished the car using Meguiar's No.7 Glaze (using a black finessing pad), then waxed it using Meguiar's NXT (applied using a blue finessing pad), finally, I gave it a QD with Zaino Z-6. All buffing was done using 100%, white, cotton towels. The car is now literally swirl free from end to end. The Audi clearcoat is amazing - it polishes up beautifully - better than any other car I have ever worked on.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great looking finish there and I love shot taken from overhead, really shows the lines of the TT 8)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Redcar_TT said:
Awesome shine! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Quality job. Did you use spit and a bit of elbow grease? :wink:
Well....I'm Canadian, we don't spit. Ever. :eek:

Not much elbow grease however, it's pretty easy and quick to do with the polisher - the most work is removing the glaze and cleaning the surface before applying the wax. Buffing the wax off is easy as the amount put on using the polisher is spread so thinly if buffs off very easily.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
8)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Wow what a shine now i know what mine could look like when it arrives end April. I was having misgivings about Phantom but your post has revived my enthusiasm for the colour [smiley=cheers.gif]

·
Registered
506 Posts
Nice shine indeed 8) Let's hope a bird don't shit on it eh? :lol:

Not sure on average how long you guys spend washing your car but I try and spend as little time washing my cars as possible. Took 40 mins to wash mines yesterday (couldn't be arsed with waxing/polish, do it next time) as it was damn too cold outside! Anyway, cars are for driving IMO - which probably explains why I've only washed it 4 times since I bought it last Oct. Phantom gets dirty too quickly...well that's my excuse anyway.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Fantastic pics. Clearly shows the pearlescent 'phantom' finish in the close-up shots. Nice!

This is my first black car and not once have I regretted the choice. It takes a little care, but the TT is worth it. :p

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GhosTTy said:
Fantastic pics. Clearly shows the pearlescent 'phantom' finish in the close-up shots. Nice!

This is my first black car and not once have I regretted the choice. It takes a little care, but the TT is worth it. :p
Thanks! :p It's always been "any colour, as long as it is black" for me!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looking good dude, megs #7 is a poor glaze (Wont remove anything) #80 on a finishing / polishing pad will give bite if indeed there where any swirls there to start with, if not, then a credit to your wash routine... (Check with Brinkmann light to find out)

NXT (Tagged as wax, but is a synthetic sealant) has some slight cleaners in which would have taken a little of the oils away from #7 plus it can be a little fussy as to what it lets bond to it.

I'd look at, clay, / polish if needed / paint clean, then your choice of either poor wax (Mmmm) or sealant. or seal then wax.

This is a picture, clayed, paint cleaned using dodo lime prime. Waxed using Chemical Guys 50/50 (great for £25) not as wet looking as some as BoS or Onyx that I use now, but still pretty good. I also like dodo Banana Armour a lot too.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Good info Thomss, but that's a lot of names and 'semi-advanced' stuff there... we're still sorting the basics at the mo! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Looking smart though for sure :)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thomss said:
Looking good dude, megs #7 is a poor glaze (Wont remove anything) #80 on a finishing / polishing pad will give bite if indeed there where any swirls there to start with, if not, then a credit to your wash routine... (Check with Brinkmann light to find out)

NXT (Tagged as wax, but is a synthetic sealant) has some slight cleaners in which would have taken a little of the oils away from #7 plus it can be a little fussy as to what it lets bond to it.

I'd look at, clay, / polish if needed / paint clean, then your choice of either poor wax (Mmmm) or sealant. or seal then wax.

This is a picture, clayed, paint cleaned using dodo lime prime. Waxed using Chemical Guys 50/50 (great for £25) not as wet looking as some as BoS or Onyx that I use now, but still pretty good. I also like dodo Banana Armour a lot too.

Good comments and the car looks great. Is that Brilliant or Phantom Black?

Clay was not indicated (I pass the baggy test even on the fenders) and I was not intending to remove anything with the #7 - I know it has no cutting power either from the pad or the product. I don't disagree on your opinion of the product either....what I really want is Menz Finishing Glaze (PO 115C) but cannot find it anywhere :?

The only swirl marks I have found (halogen direct light inspection) have been on the rear wing. I have a whole range of Menz for that and when I turn my attention to the wife's RRS (now that will need some clay bar work!). I'll take your advice on the waxes - NXT was a suggestion from a friend in Canada who swears by it. I thought it was okay. What about FMJ? Assuming I can find it...have you tried it? Would you use Zaino sealant on that?

What I find with the Phantom Black is that you can get a nice wet finish, but it is not apparent due to the pearl effect of the paint which seems to rob it of depth. I'm going to take your thoughts on board and keep trying to get a deeper look to the finish.

Thanks again for the cogent feedback! :p

Now about your front garden.... :wink:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.