Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is pretty long, and badly written so apologies in advance!!

My 6 month old A3 has now reached its 10400th mile and therefore, I thought it was about time I shared my ill-informed views on the most expesnsive piece of tird, I have ever had the miss-fortune to own.

My attempt at reproducing the A3 advert when it was first launched, turns out that a studio may have returned slightly better resulys than the multi storey. No ps here

I’ll start off with the criteria that the car had to....

New, or nearly new so that I could hand it back if it broke
Reverse gear so I didn’t have to worry about parking etc (my corrado at the time decided it didn’t like reversing, this is what actually made me go and buy a new car).
Aestheticaly pleasing
Cheap to run and maintain
16 ish k / £275 per month max
Comfortable on long journeys
Cheap insurance

If my father didn’t happen to be a salesman at an Audi dealership I probably would have thought about my choices a little harder, rather than just ending up with an A3. Looking around now I realise I could be in one of those nice Alfa things, a sporty clio, Golf GT a mini etc etc…..first mistake out of the way and done with then.

Onto the review then….

Basic spec â€"
A3 1.9TDI Special Edition
105PS (form a queue ladies)
IBIS white

Options -
Digital climate
Concert CD head unit
Fogs
Dis

TZE arrived without DIS, I thought I was advised that DIS was standard, turns out I wasn’t and I had just misread an email….second mistake.

After almost 3 months yes, 3 months for an A3 Special Edition! TZE landed at the dealers.

Laughable standard ride height.

I had asked them not to clean it on arrival…third mistake!! The car was absolutely covered in train brake dust, they use acid to remove it at the dealers and it proves to be very good and, I imagine, a lot less of a pain in the backside than using a poxy bloody clay bar!! Ibis white is actually a really easy colour to keep clean and, unlike black cars when they get a little dirty they still ok. I washed TZE for the first time in 2 months today!

After it was cleaned and thoroughly checked over, it was time to get to grips with the car and spend a week or so mincing about below 2500 RPM. My initial thoughts were that the car was pretty nice if a tad underpowered. It turned a lot of heads, was returning a quite frankly ridiculously high MPG figure and was great in town pottering about.

So, after the running in period it was time to sort out the bog standard 16” Special Edition wheels, and the laughable ride height. Rochford supplied the RS6 reps and APS dealt with lowering TZE by 55mm (eibach springs), the ride improved immensely!

Much improved ride height

After about 7k miles though I began to get extremely bored of it, this probably isn’t helped by borrowing some rather smart cars for photos (Astons, S5’s, RS4’s etc etc). The truth however, is that I just don’t like it.

Here’s my ramblings on why…. I’ve had a few electrical gremlins with the car. Windows sometimes don’t one touch, or one will and the other won’t (differing sides each time). The dash beeps at me sometimes but doesn’t show any messages, my wipers sometimes don’t wipe when spraying the wash and, they loose their intermittent program timing thingy me bob. Also, the drivers door has dropped a centimetre due to loose bolts…very queer. I haven’t had the car looked at as of yet, I was going to save it until the first service.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The interior is plastic fantastic, this is mainly due to myself not ticking a few options but come on Audi, a fecking plastic steering wheel…are you having me on?? The seats are terrible, there isn’t a driving position at all, it’s just a position that you have to get used too. My arse after 1hr is aching like mad and as for my back….don’t even go there honey!

Numb bum anyone?

The ‘performance’ is shocking (durr, it’s 105 PS diesel), there just doesn’t seem to be much torque at all and the noise from the engine is god damn awful. I think this 1.9TDI unit is over 5 years old and unfortunately, nothings changed. It sounds like a tractor! It’s so slow it doesn’t have a 0-60 time. Seriously, I think I could run quicker than this white, underpowered, overweight tird. Handling……hahaha you’re kidding me right? How does understeer to brake grabbing ESP sound to you? Fun right? The steering is rubbish, there’s no feedback what so ever, you can’t tell when you’re reaching limits and you have to take multiple stabs at corners (might be due to the cheap tyres though I guess).

Debadged, but the tailpipes still hint towards it's potency..err I mean boring-ness

The brakes are, to be fair, pretty damn good, but I think someone in the factory forgot to add some kind of modulation control to them, they’re either on or off and again, there’s no feel to them!

Looks great, shame about the twonk behind the wheel though.

So, I’ve come to the conclusion that it isn’t a Lotus. Well done Dean, your 2 year old niece could have told you that.

I find it strange how I hate it so much yet, it does exactly what I wanted it to do. I can reverse. I can get 500+ miles to £55. I don’t need an MOT or any tax, I don’t have to worry about a coil pack failure or worry about being called a nob by a bunch of youths. But most importantly, it is cheap to run and when you’re in a bit of a financial trouble like I am, it’s great not having to worry about MOT’s, performance car MPG and the like.

So, once I’m out of debt I can treat myself to a VX220, and with that in the garage, I might be able to appreciate the finer things of A3 ownership. Obvisouly, there are options that can be added to the A3 that cancel out some of my bad points, if I was to re-order for example, I would have gone for a sport spec.

0-60 in half a day

This is, all in my opinion. Opinions are like arse holes though aren’t they? Every fecker has one, it’s just that some are more shitty than others.

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
It's a shame it's a disappointment, as it looks lovely. :?

Stiull not sure how you can justify a new car as costing less though. Do you not have to factor in depreciation? :?:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kell said:
It's a shame it's a disappointment, as it looks lovely. :?

Stiull not sure how you can justify a new car as costing less though. Do you not have to factor in depreciation? :?:
Well, I'm actually handing it back in a year and a half, so that in sense no. But, after the 2 years are up I won;'t own a car. By this time I'll be out of debt and have some savings though thanks to a rather nice rise.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've just been doing a bit of workings out, covering 10400 miles in this A3 means I have visited the pumps 20 times (rounded up). This mileage in the TT I had previously, would have seen me visiting the pumps 30 times (throwing in £55 worths of fuel).

That's £550 saved. Put that on top of a service, MOT and the insurance which was twice as much on the TT and you have one much cheaper car to run...hooray

8)

It's still shit though.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
It is a shame you don't like it, we got a 57 plate 2.0TDI (170PS) S-Line and I really like it!

OK - so it cost a fair bit more than yours, but the performance is bloody good for a diesel, have read reports of people Dyno'ing the 170 engine in Cupras and getting 180+ as standard!

Agree on the brakes though on/off - I nearly put the missus through the windscreen after driving the 911 where you need to slam your foot to the floor to stop!

Thankfully the S-Line comes with 18" RS6s and I think is slightly lower.

Your hatred of your car does make me feel slightly better about forking out the extra money for the higher spec engine etc. though.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
elrao said:
Your hatred of your car does make me feel slightly better about forking out the extra money for the higher spec engine etc. though.
haha...Good :roll:

I think that had I have chosen a 170 S-line with a few toys I'd be contempt!

·
Registered
19,202 Posts
DeanTT said:
haha...Good :roll:

I think that had I have chosen a 170 S-line with a few toys I'd be contempt!
Or content. Seems like you already have contempt.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Seems like a real shame it doesn't deliver as good as it looks.

Our 2.0T Sline Sportback is really nice, despite having loads of hassle over the DSG when we first got it, but again that's it it's nice, no more

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
excellent write up

i was thinking of something maybe more boring in the future due to rising cost of everything!!!

but that for sure puts me off.

what's the minimum diesel engine you would plump for on this model?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
p1tse said:
excellent write up

i was thinking of something maybe more boring in the future due to rising cost of everything!!!

but that for sure puts me off.

what's the minimum diesel engine you would plump for on this model?
Well, I've owned an A4 2.0 140PS and that was fairly pokey. The problem for me is refinement, the 2.0 & 1.9's just aren't half as nice as the V6 diseasels. My main problem is that I get to drive practically the entire the audi range at free will!!

If I was to do a diseasel A3 again, it would be a 2.0 170ps DPF. Minimum would be the 140, although I'm fairly sure it's the same unit so could be remapped? It's a serious bit of kit and with the DPF, it looks just like a petrol due to the tailpipes.

·
Registered
31,059 Posts
Wife has one, but the 20T petrol version, i hate it with a passion so i know how you feel. Its so dull i simply dread driving it.

Photos look good though.

·
Registered
12,753 Posts
Well it photos nicely Dean and looks good.

Sometimes 'poverty-spec' works on cars, sometimes not. It is less likely to work with a premium brand like Audi, than it does with say a Fiat Panda, where 'basic transport' 'plastic fantastic utilitarian' may be part of the appeal.

At the heart of any car is the engine and the 1.9 unit is as old as they get - now the oldest engine in use in the VW group. But you knew that when you bought it. The seat comfort and plassy wheel i guess are constant reminders.

You just have to think of it as inexpensive to run transport - and plenty of people have to run around in worse cars, so you are not doing too badly.

Plus think of the money you are saving. Others around here have lost more in 3 months, than your car will lose in depreciation in 3 years.

You could always inject new lease of life with a remap :idea:

:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.