Audi TT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah. The first TT was twitchy and had catastrophic oversteer at speed due to a floaty back end and a solid front end. As we all know, Audi dumbed down the front end with rubber bushes, and introduced ESP and a rear spoiler (plus other tweaks). The result? a car that although 'planted' and safe, is to an extent unresponsive.

It recently got me thinking about what I am actually trying to achieve re handling. Rather than just follow ******** 'fashion'.

I want neutral handling. I'm not looking for oversteer. Oversteer occurs when the back end of the car loses grip and comes out when cornering. It's not a refined handling trait; it's as simple as that, the rear end loses grip. I don't want that. Equally, I want the front end to be more responsive to steering input. Logically then, I want to mod the front end, and leave the back end alone(ish). So, I've uprated the front ARB a touch and added poly bushes. I'm not upgrading the rear ARB for reasons mentioned. I may fit Defcons too. To me, this mod strategy will give me the best of both worlds, and neutral yet precise handling at speed.

Just thought I'd share my ramblings with you! Views and opinions welcome.

Happy summer everyone. It's sunny here on Cannock Chase. Might even get the MTB out...

·
Registered
12,754 Posts
If you have upgraded the front arb surely this will just increase understeer which is the only real handling problem with the car.

I agree it might improve steering response, but I'm doing the opposite and just upgrading the rear to dial out a little of the understeer.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hark said:
If you have upgraded the front arb surely this will just increase understeer which is the only real handling problem with the car.

I agree it might improve steering response, but I'm doing the opposite and just upgrading the rear to dial out a little of the understeer.
You might be right Matt! But in any case, I've only gone from stock (17/18) to 21. Can you explain how uprating the front ARB dials in understeer? cheers. In your case then, you're basically dialing in a bit of drift? ie both front and rear are letting go a tad?

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
As I recall, TT handling issues were directly related to 100+ speeds. Here in the US and I believe in the UK, there are no places were we can legally exceed 100. Granted, that hasn't stopped many folks (me included) from trying the occasional 100+ burst on the interstate or M.

Even before audi dumbed down the suspension, not all high speed runs ended up tragically...enough to get the lawyers involved so now we have a less (than original) responsive TT.

My 2 p...mod the rear too.

Floaty rear doesn't happen at the lower speeds/twisty roads where you can really enjoy the modded front.

cheers

·
Super Moderator
24,444 Posts
As Hark said, by enlarging the front only you would of now increased under steer

This is why people slightly uprate the rear bar to 4motion to remove some under steer

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
T3RBO said:
As Hark said, by enlarging the front only you would of now increased under steer

This is why people slightly uprate the rear bar to 4motion to remove some under steer
I'm an engineer (not car engineer), and no-one is actually EXPLAINING how that happens. I'm open minded - it may well be the case, but well meaning statements don't carry much weight on forums. There's 1000s of 'experts' on forums, but in reality, most - including myself! - are just spouting our own views, or those we have heard other people say.

Look, if you uprate the front ARB, in simple terms you oppose the tendency for the car to roll when cornering. Where/how is the understeer introduced?

·
Registered
588 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.